Autism Speaks thinks we are bad pattern thinkers

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 11:28 pm

Study finds lags in unconscious learning among adults with autism Slowness in the brain's ability to recognize patterns may explain why those with autism struggle with social rules and distracting sights, sounds and sensations

Apperently all the experts and autistics that say autistics are good pattern thinkers and struggles with social rules distracting sounds and sensations are caused by sensory overload and or bieng in our own world are wrong.(sarcasm)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2015, 2:13 am

Autism Speaks can f**k off. We are the best thinkers ever. All they do is underestimate us and then fill NTs with fear hoping their research to cure autism pays off.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 3:00 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Study finds lags in unconscious learning among adults with autism

I think I could agree with this.
My brain HEAVILY filters anything from my subconscious.

However, my conscious pattern recognition is exceptional.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 3:20 am

The title is misleading. What they found was that NTs' brain activities decreased when viewing the same pattern over and over, and that ASDs' brain activity remained constant. And that can explain overstimulation - we don't filter, we process it all the same, whereas an NT brain filters it out to make less work for the brain. Think about subconscious pattern solving, that's what they were testing - like how to tell background noise from what you're interested in hearing, how to pick out social cues from other movements.

But it doesn't say anything for what most of us think of as problem solving - you know, solving problems consciously?

But it was a very small study and needs the results to be replicated over a larger study group. 16 from each group isn't nearly enough to draw conclusions either way.

At least that's my understanding.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 5:22 am

Seems to be a lot of missing information in this article.
1) If the NT brain is learning a pattern at a faster rate, they don't say what type of result is in for the Autistic brain. They imply, but do not state and that is bothersome.
2) It seems to overlook the fact that the filtering process is constantly ongoing in the Autistic; a constant rate of noise in that filtering process no matter how much the pattern may be learned or recognized. Basic signal to noise ratio. Maybe the Autistic brain has a constant noise drowning out the signal, thereby making the brain work harder to filter at all times. The signal is always there, just crowded out.

I dunno...maybe I'm wrong and maybe the above is just tortured reasoning.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 9:45 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Study finds lags in unconscious learning among adults with autism Slowness in the brain's ability to recognize patterns may explain why those with autism struggle with social rules and distracting sights, sounds and sensations

Apperently all the experts and autistics that say autistics are good pattern thinkers and struggles with social rules distracting sounds and sensations are caused by sensory overload and or bieng in our own world are wrong.(sarcasm)

Link is dead, I get a "The merchant is not active." error and I have no idea what that means off the top of my head and I am pretty good with computers.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 9:46 am

just tried the link. Works for me.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 9:58 am

zkydz wrote:
just tried the link. Works for me.

Strange when I click on the link I get this,

but when I quote ASPartOfMe and copy the link it works, what is heck is linksynergy.com?

This is a fairly clean install of Linux, I wonder whats causing that?

Still to remain on topic I would like to point out that no two people on the spectrum are a like so I think for some what Autism Speaks says might be true and for others it could be a sensory problem. I was under the impression that autism just means your brain works differently, seems like that could also be different based on the individual.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 9:59 am

I get "the merchant is not open".

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 10:12 am

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 10:17 am

iliketrees wrote:

Nope, same, but I can copy and paste it into my URL bar from the quote text and it works. I did some poking around and I didn't find anything out other than the fact that autismspeaks.org is actually hosted by amazon... interesting.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 10:43 pm

I think that Autism Speaks are poor pattern advertisers. That was also a very poorly written article.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2015, 3:32 pm

Question: does Autism Speaks ever have anything good, useful, or true to say at all, in your opinion? I've been reading some pretty sick-making things about them lately, and now I'm afraid to even go and look for myself.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Nov 2015, 9:56 pm

I'm an Aspie who's actually bad at recognizing patters but some of it may be due to my dyslexia.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 10:29 pm

I see patterns in anything. But, asking me to find a pattern that someone else wants me to see can be a bit iffy.

I actually had nightmares about this. The nightmare goes like this:
I walk into a room. I see and sort all the numbers and arrangements. But as soon as someone asks me to find a number or a set of numbers (in a row, column or diagonal) my mind goes blank. In the nightmare, the floors and walls go blank. What makes it a nightmare is that I could see it, then couldn't get it back out. And a panic spiral starts.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 12:04 am

I bet they also Photoshopped the brains at the top as well.