Page 5 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 12:31 am

risingphoenix wrote:
I have to disagree too with you, Griff. Unlike knuckle-cracking or leg bouncing which a lot of people (Aspie or not) do, hand flapping is, I'm sure, by 99% of people considered as weird and ret*d and will always earn you stares.
That's a pretty high estimate. As an adult, my own "happy" hand-flapping is restricted mostly to the company of my boyfriend. However, I'll often use it as a tension release while waiting for long periods of time, and it generally won't get any stares unless it's done for a sustained period of time, in a crowded area, or otherwise in the wrong context.

Esperanza wrote:
When I was in school, though, people flapped their hands momentarily to wordlessly indicate retardation. Like, they might point at someone behind his back and flap their hand for a second to say "he's such a ret*d."
Oh, they are asking you to help them communicate this to the person they are referring to. This is because they are a little shy about expressing their feelings. It is courteous to assist their tragically labored efforts at communication, so you should act as their liaison.

Last edited by Griff on 15 Apr 2007, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 1:09 am

Well yes sort of. I used to flap my hands when I was younger, but now it's more of a hand wringing thing. Always when I'm excited.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2007, 5:17 pm

i do sometimes when I'm excited.

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 5:27 pm

I rock a lot when either happy-excited or upset. I only really hand-flap when i'm mad.

mrsry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2007, 5:08 pm

I generally restrict my flapping to the company of my fiance. He's pretty good about it and understands that it means I'm very happy and excited about something.

When I was a teenager, I had a way of making the flapping slightly more socially acceptable. During conversations with classmates in junior high, I used to slap the arm of the other person repeatedly as I talked--although not too hard. I think they tolerated it because they grew up with me trying to hit them. In high school, one or two of my more sympathetic friends would hold out her hand while we talked so I could slap it over and over again as I flapped my hand up and down. Now that I'm older, I don't think either behavior would be acceptable at all.

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Apr 2007, 6:50 pm

SteveK wrote:
Have they seen YOU flap? If not, maybe you should continue to keep it under wraps. Unfortunately, some things are just thought of as stupid and indicating a problem. That flapping is one of them. :cry: Again, I'm not trying to insult or offend.

Oh no, these are close, true friends, or I wouldn't have been discussing autism with them in the first place. They just didn't want to take the discussion seriously enough to learn why he was doing it.

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 7:26 pm

I flap.

Oh, yes, I flap.
And only when I'm happy.
I also jump when very happy.

A jumping, flapping, bespeckled teenager. :?

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

Benji
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2007, 7:32 pm

When I hand flap (which I didn't realise I did until ages after actually learning about it as a behaviour) it appears more as hyperactive or childish behaviour. I think if my parents were asked if I hand flap or not they'd say no, even though they've seen me do it. I also flap, hitting myself in the legs. I tend to do it when I'm feeling rushed and/or trying to think and most often in a comfortable atmosphere where I feel freer (often in public places I get very introverted and tense and keep movement to a minimum). When I'm excited I'm more likely to flap in private, although as I've said I have flapped infront of my parents before.

I wring my hands a lot more often though, so much so I hurt them. The firm pressure feels nice, but I can't help then getting rougher.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 11:01 pm

I remember flapping my hands as a kid and my mom yelling at me to stop. But, now she says she never ever saw me flap my hands.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2007, 11:32 pm

cellogirl42 wrote:
I also jump when very happy.
Yup. I do that. A lot, actually.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 3:06 am

Yeah I still jump up and down when excited, even at my age! :oops:

PG500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2007, 3:10 am

I hurt my wrist doing that, haven't done it since. Maybe doing it near sharp corners wasn't my best idea?

Nightcry
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2007, 3:17 am

I twist my wrist around so my had spins sort of... but not flapping really has my hand is usually in a fist. Same muscles though really. And usually when I'm bored.

Cascadians
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2007, 12:44 pm

Flap my hands when happy or overjoyed excited.

Couldn't care less what anybody thinks. It's quiet and natural.

Not ret*d, and if somebody assumes it's a sign of retardation, then they are misinformed and rather socially and cognitively ret*d themselves.

Ems
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2008, 5:16 am

Esperanza wrote:
It seems like most aspies/auties I hear about flap their hands when they're upset. Am I the only one who does it when happy or excited? I couldn't possibly flap my hands when upset; it would feel SO unnatural.

Nope, you're not the only one :D . I flap when really excited and when I am in "in my own world". But then I raise my hands up and turn them back and forth with fixed gaze.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 5:19 am

I only flap my hands when I see something on the internet I like.