Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 10:05 pm

I flap when i'm happy about something. I don't feel like flapping when i'm sad. I only flap when i'm alone.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 1:04 am

I used to flap my right index finger, when I was going through my Austin Powers phase. I did that on purpose, though. :P

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 1:58 am

My wife only flapped when upset. I do it mainly to stimulate
images, which makes me happy. I do a more subdued version
when EITHER very happy or upset.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:10 am

I don't think I do that, at least not since I was pretty young. Up until now, I had thought hand flapping was just flapping the palm of your hand against the thumb, or against a desk or something. I do that sometimes.

Heh, I'm trying it now, and it does feel kind of good actually. Not sure I'd want to pick up on it, though.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:36 am

It seems to me like an aspie equivalent of knuckle-cracking. I crack my knuckles to signify either annoyance or satisfaction. I "flap" my hands violently and then stiffen them into fists when I am angry. When I am blissfully contented, I'll go through a gentler version of the motion. Though the motion sounds ridiculous when it's described, it would only look as such if it were affected unnaturally. I think that what is happening is that a nerve in there is being stimulated as a stress release. We do it for approximately the same reason that a lot of people thump their legs during tests. All the way through. Without stopping. It looks so funny, and I always get poisonous glares from the instructor when I giggle.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 10:52 am

My husband and I were driving along next to the Thames earlier today, and as the Houses of Parliament and Westminster abbey came into view, i flapped my hands!! ! i love these buildings you see and they make me very excited!! :oops:

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 11:51 am

Egads, what's with you people's self-consciousness over expressing an emotion? In the end, it's hardly different from knuckle-cracking, clapping, toe-tapping, leg-thumping, finger-drumming, and any of hundreds of millions of common stims that have always been considered perfectly socially acceptable. If you just get over your shyness over it, people won't think twice about what your particular thing happens to be.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 12:04 pm

Bull. It's less acceptable than thumb sucking, and only slightly more so than masturbating in public.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 12:08 pm

calandale wrote:
Bull. It's less acceptable than thumb sucking, and only slightly more so than masturbating in public.
Nope. You just have to learn how to pull it off. Period.

risingphoenix
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2007, 4:59 pm

Griff wrote:
calandale wrote:
Nope. You just have to learn how to pull it off. Period.

I have to disagree too with you, Griff. Unlike knuckle-cracking or leg bouncing which a lot of people (Aspie or not) do, hand flapping is, I'm sure, by 99% of people considered as weird and ret*d and will always earn you stares. Even though I agree that basically it is probably not different from knuckle cracking or whatever, but as the majority doesn't stim this way it will never be considered socially acceptable (at least not until Aspies rule the world ;-))

Hermann Hesse

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2007, 5:12 pm

Agreed, people will assume you are mentally ret*d if you hand-flap in public. I can usually get away with rocking very subtly though.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 5:52 pm

chairbreak wrote:
Agreed, people will assume you are mentally ret*d if you hand-flap in public. I can usually get away with rocking very subtly though.

Yeah, but rocking is not NEARLY as foreign. I rock, my Project Manager sways, and I have a coworker I have caught doing BOTH! Interestingly, NOBODY has said anything against any of it.

I saw that kid with the basketball, flapping, etc... It looked kind of cute, and he seemed to be enjoying himself, and then I realized something. And NO OFFENSE IS MEANT HERE! You are obviously all aware of it and yourselves, etc.... But I analyzed WHY I felt as I did, and I think I found out why. I felt that way, and his mother treated him that way, because he evoked feelings of almost a playful puppy. That isn't exactly the way you want to be viewed.

HE definitely seemed LFA.

Steve

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 7:33 pm

I'd rather see quiet hand flapping than hear loud, irritating, knuckle cracking.

risingphoenix
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2007, 7:56 pm

9CatMom wrote:
I'd rather see quiet hand flapping than hear loud, irritating, knuckle cracking.

Oh yes, hearing knuckle-cracking always gives me the same kind of feeling as when chalk squeaks on the blackboard

Hermann Hesse

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 10:29 pm

risingphoenix wrote:
9CatMom wrote:

Oh yes, hearing knuckle-cracking always gives me the same kind of feeling as when chalk squeaks on the blackboard

I agree!

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2007, 10:37 pm

SteveK wrote:
I saw that kid with the basketball, flapping, etc... It looked kind of cute, and he seemed to be enjoying himself, and then I realized something. And NO OFFENSE IS MEANT HERE! You are obviously all aware of it and yourselves, etc.... But I analyzed WHY I felt as I did, and I think I found out why. I felt that way, and his mother treated him that way, because he evoked feelings of almost a playful puppy. That isn't exactly the way you want to be viewed.

I showed my NT friends that video and they said he looked like a "cute flapping ducky". I tried to explain the point of it, but they couldn't seem to get past the ducky thing. *sigh* Sometimes you can't convince NTs that another point of view exists.