Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2015, 12:42 pm

skibum wrote:
Thank you for letting us know right away. I am glad it was a good experience for you. You may feel a whirlwind of different emotions in the days and weeks to come as it all settles in but it's really good for you to know. I am really happy for you that you found out.
StarTrekker wrote:
Congratulations, welcome to the club :) I'm glad it all went well, and I'm impressed you got your results immediately; I had to wait five weeks after my assessment was over to get the results, it drove me crazy. Do you know how you feel about it yet?

You know what, I think it is a bit of a whirlwind regarding emotions. I don't really know quite how to deal with it. I think initially I was very relieved that the wait for the assessment and the assessment itself was over. I feel that the assessment was very positive in the sense that it made sense of so much and I felt understood for once. It was also very interesting hearing my parent's talk about things around when I was growing up that I've never heard them talk about. My dad got quite emotional at times talking about the things that I've been through growing up and in more recent times and how difficult they were, which was very difficult to be around but for the sake of the assessment I'm glad those things came out then at least.
In the few days since, the over-riding feeling has still been positive; I'm glad I had the assessment/diagnosis because nothing has every 'fitted' so accurately, helped me make sense and peace with the past and helped in my understanding of myself to deal with the present and the future.
There has been a mixture of other feelings floating around which I'm not really able to name or understand. I think I put the 'whirlwind' feeling down to trying to take everything in and having the assessment throw everything out of filter temporarily. I think there is perhaps some over-thinking/over-analysing going on, in the odd slightly paranoid thoughts that people don't/won't believe I have Asperger's and when I try to address certain issues, like my difficulties on my uni course which involves lots of group work/group discussions, people will think I'm making it up, or making a big issue out of something small. Especially when the way I try to explain some things, I often gets the response that 'everyone struggles with that' or something along those lines.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 1:30 pm

I am glad your parents were so helpful.

It is going to be a whirlwind and overwhelming at times. My advice is to just let it it happen, let the emotions flow. Let your autistic brain proccess this information in its own way. After all the years of trying to suppress yourself you deserve it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2015, 1:39 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am glad your parents were so helpful.

It is going to be a whirlwind and overwhelming at times. My advice is to just let it it happen, let the emotions flow. Let your autistic brain proccess this information in its own way. After all the years of trying to suppress yourself you deserve it.

Thanks man. I think mostly I'd just like to stop the worrying about whether people believe me or think I'm making things up or making a big deal out of nothing when I try to explain my difficulties or stress around something :? I'm not the best at verbal communication so I try to write things down where possible, as I did with my tutor today as I really struggled with the lecture, but then even that's more difficult when your emotions are a little bit all over the place.