Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jeannine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2015, 12:07 pm

Hi,

I have a 17-year-old son with Aspergers. He does not want to go to school any longer. It is stressing him out and he is begging me to let him be done. He is in a special education school since our high school could not meet his needs. At this point, he cannot receive his high school diploma. Our high school does not allow a diploma when the child is removed from the school and placed into another program. He would only receive a 'certificate of completion' which means basically nothing.

Has anyone pulled their child out of school before 18? What services did they lose? Does it affect SSI? I would love to hear anybody's experience if they share a similar situation.

Thank you.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 8:49 pm

The high school couldn't meet his needs, so he doesn't get to earn a diploma?
Why is he being punished for their failure? Something stinks. You should consult a lawyer or an advocate about your son's legal rights.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 9:42 pm

About certificate vs high school diploma. (in my state)

http://www.giresd.net/Page/399

In my state, if you get a high school diploma ALL special educational services go away. You can get services until you get the diploma or turn 26.

So it is a roll of the dice. Can an IEP be modified enough that your child has a chance to pass the required classes? Will this child need special educational services past18 years old?

It is usually the need of services that drives the choice between diploma vs certificate.

As for SSI, I would go to the actual office and ask them. It is confusing.

From what I gathered, he would get benefits until he graduates, turns 18, or if in school until two months past 19.

You do not want his benefits terminated at 18, because then he has to apply as an adult, and there is no guarantee he will get squat. My doctor says it is really judge driven who gets benefits. In our area, very few adults get SSI on Autism along, unless they are very low.

If he is turn 18 anywhere in the near furture, and needs the money to live (and insurance), I would really try to have him phone it in at school. You do not want to have a gap between child and adult benefits.

I believe my friend started at 16 putting the ducks in the row for a seamless transition.

If he's not in school, what will he be doing with his time? (Just curious, not judging)

Jeannine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2016, 10:51 am

Thank you so much for getting back to me and I apologize for the late reply. So here is where we are six months later.

You are absolutely correct. If I would have pushed for a diploma, they would have cut off his services, so we did not push for that. In January, he stopped school. The final straw was when he put a fork in his lunchbox in the attempt to get 'kicked' out of school. (He overheard if you bring a weapon to school, they will kick you out). I figured before he becomes a danger to himself or anybody else, I was making the decision to keep him home. In the interim, I have spoken with the school on different ideas on how they can help. We will be employing a plan beginning in August for a behavioral therapist and speech therapist to come to my home, since this is where he is the most comfortable. Our goal is to get him back in the 'groove' and hopefully get him out of the house for a possible work program. (You need a doctor's note stating he is 'unfit' to attend school).

As far as SSI, we have an appointment coming up. There is no problem getting them SSI with a diagnosis of autism, as long as you have your doctors and teachers on board. SSI wants reports and documentation that your child is unfit to make sound decisions (the same paperwork you need for legal guardianship). Once they have that, you are good to go.

Jeannine