Who else refuses to shop on "BLACK FRIDAY"?

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2015, 3:55 am

I couldn't find a thread on this topic that wasn't at least a few years old so I'll start a new one. I'm fortunate to have this coming Friday (the day after US Thanksgiving) OFF! With a wintry weather forecast this year I'll be delighted to stay home and avoid all retail outlets. Even with perfect weather I would never consider going out to a "big box" store to shop on this particular day. They would have to literally be giving stuff away for me to even think about heading out. I'm very happy that companies like WalMart are now doing all their Thanksgiving/BF pricing online as well so those like me who despise crowds can take advantage of the "deals" without the horror of trying to compete with agressive, dysfunctional, and greedy extroverted shoppers. I might actually try ordering something to be picked up later at the store during a quiet day and time versus waiting until about two weeks to XMAS to start my holliday shopping as I've done in the past.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 3:59 am

No way in hell I'm going out into that insanity.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 4:01 am

What is Black Friday?

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 4:20 am

I don't know..maybe Friday that is black for some reason.

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2015, 4:30 am

Raleigh wrote:
What is Black Friday?

Aussies are lucky not to have to deal with it (as well as Thanksgiving).
"Black Friday" has traditionally been the official "kickoff" of the XMAS shopping "season" in the US, and in recent times been associated with dangerous behaviours like stampeding customers and store workers to death by greedy shoppers.
To help avoid this, a number of businesses have begun opening on Thanksgiving, but horrible things can easily happen on the "Turkey day" holliday as well as this clip illustrates...

"God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 4:31 am

This repulsive phenomenon has now been exported to the UK. We too are confronted with the degrading spectacle of greedy people fighting with each other to get the latest piece of worthless trash.

Not for nothing is Britain known as the Nation of Shopkeepers.

It makes my flesh creep.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 4:52 am

Rockymtchris wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
What is Black Friday?

Aussies are lucky not to have to deal with it (as well as Thanksgiving).
"Black Friday" has traditionally been the official "kickoff" of the XMAS shopping "season" in the US, and in recent times been associated with dangerous behaviours like stampeding customers and store workers to death by greedy shoppers.

8O Wha??
Are you serious?
I'm very glad we don't have that here.
The closest thing would be the Boxing Day sales - but I've never heard of anyone being stampeded to death.

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 5:06 am

Black Friday is horrible! i went once because a friend said, "you should try it at least once." Never again. Just wrong on so many levels. The greed of people--like, how can you keep your self-respect and run after stuff like this? That giant tv/kitchenaid blender/latest stupid toy/etc. was worth sacrificing your dignity (and a perfectly good night of sleep) over? Not to mention dangerous. So many stupid drivers.

I refuse to feed the monster.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 5:17 am

I think of jingle all the way film when everyone tries to get that turbo-man doll as the ultimate toy for christmas

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2015, 5:36 am

Scorpius14 wrote:
I think of jingle all the way film when everyone tries to get that turbo-man doll as the ultimate toy for christmas

I actually have a Turbo man doll, but mine is way more macho than the Girlieman toy seen in the JATW movie...
(The Gladiator Turbo)

I still wouldn't have gone out on a Black Friday to get it, even if it was the only one left on Earth. Small Biz Saturday, maybe, and a definate yes on Cyber Monday, as long as Paypal wasn't required.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 8:24 am

* raises hand *

I never want to even experience the insanity that comes with it. A lot of the so called "deals" are cheap knockoffs anyway that won't last the year.

CuriousGeorge
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2015, 9:18 am

I don't like to shop on a quiet day, so there is no way I'm going to even consider leaving the house on Friday. If I need to go through that nonsense to get a lower price, I probably don't need the thing in the first place.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 9:24 am

I've been participating in "Buy Nothing Day" on Black Friday ever since I can remember.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Day

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 10:18 am

"Black Friday" got it's name because it started the season when merchants could finally operate "in the black" - that is, it takes the Christmas shopping season for them to show a yearly profit. Otherwise, they operate "in the red", or at a loss, and face going out of business.

This is also why you may see more "pop-up" stores that operate only from Black Friday to New Year's Day.

At to the original question, Black Friday is one of, the few days of the year that I can have the whole house to myself; so no, I do not go shopping on Black Friday.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 10:58 am

I love special offers and I am a bargain hunter.

However, for the past few years we have been bombarded with "special offers", everywhere.

I can see (and I remember) the amount items get discounted by, and the same discount happens throughout the year. Special offers are mostly a dud. They don't mean anything anymore. And having a day to celebrate them sounds like chaos in the shops. I would rather stay indoors and spot discounts whenever I need that item.

I'm also fed up with how supermarkets and shops over here, ALL of them, put up their prices very high, so that you can only buy it for an average price if you buy multiple things. That is one of my pet hates. They aren't deals at all. For example, a bottle of coke here is about £1. In many shops they up the price to £2 and have a "special offer" which is buy one get one free. So in effect they're making you buy two instead of one. I really hate it and I avoid those "special offers" whenever I can and try to buy only what I need in another shop.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 1:13 pm

<--- Would rather stir up a nest of yellowjackets than go to Black Friday.