Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2015, 1:45 pm

I use Xubuntu with Xfce.

SciFiCoyote
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2015, 5:04 pm

When I got tired of playing around, and just needed my computers to work, I installed Linux Mint on both desktop and laptop (XFCE on laptop, Cinnamon on desktop).

However, when my laptop MB crapped, I bought a nice chromebook, and it's doing all I need for mobile computing.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 5:10 pm

SciFiCoyote wrote:
When I got tired of playing around, and just needed my computers to work, I installed Linux Mint on both desktop and laptop (XFCE on laptop, Cinnamon on desktop).

However, when my laptop MB crapped, I bought a nice chromebook, and it's doing all I need for mobile computing.

That's why I went with Mint Debian on about half my personal systems; to get stuff done. The install is friendlier than raw Debian to hardware and user alike, yet underneath it's still Deb. It's a very useful balance.

SciFiCoyote
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Nov 2015, 6:45 pm

I also put Linux on friends' and friend-of-friends computers that are still running Windows XP, or running 7 or Vista but crapped out. Mint is friendly enough that no more than GUI is needed by 99% of users, and it runs like a cheetah compared to Windows-anything, while being able to use very low-end hardware. It's really a win-win. They get a "new" computer out of their old one that they can continue to use for more years, and the landfill is spared more waste.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 3:25 am

Quote:
I also put Linux on friends' and friend-of-friends computers that are still running Windows XP, or running 7 or Vista but crapped out. Mint is friendly enough that no more than GUI is needed by 99% of users, and it runs like a cheetah compared to Windows-anything, while being able to use very low-end hardware. It's really a win-win. They get a "new" computer out of their old one that they can continue to use for more years, and the landfill is spared more waste.

Sounds like Mint is today, what Ubuntu used to be back in the 6.06 days.
I'll have to give it a try.

Right now, I'm having a lot of fun playing with Raspbian :)

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 1:37 pm

The developers of Mint listen to what the audience wants (like Microsoft). The Ubuntu devs no longer do (and thus, Ubuntu still uses Unity), which is why it's popularity declined.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 10:15 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
So far not mentioned (and perhaps a bit silly):

[Sabily (Ubuntu Islamic Remix) / Ubuntu Christian Edition / Jewbuntu] - because why fight over who Ubuntu loves more?

forgive me i occasionally misunderstand humor/sarc./irony etc...

are you serious?
is there actually a distro called "Jewbuntu" 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O ?

why would anyone name a distro after some religions?!
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 11:16 pm

slave wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:

[Sabily (Ubuntu Islamic Remix) / Ubuntu Christian Edition / Jewbuntu] - because why fight over who Ubuntu loves more?

are you serious?

All three existed at one time, although it looks like the last is no longer active & the only current references (including a site by the same name but different TLD) are anti-Semitic.

My guess is people will theme Linux to fit any interest, so why should religion be any different? Plus it is possible to customize things like the calendar to recognize specific holidays & the like. Also, at one time there was a distro (don't remember which, this was over a decade ago) that was a bit...biased, against either Israel or Palestine (or some other geo-religio-political conflict) and so removed all references to code by such programmers & in the repository db.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 1:00 am

Edenthiel wrote:
slave wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:

are you serious?

All three existed at one time, although it looks like the last is no longer active & the only current references (including a site by the same name but different TLD) are anti-Semitic.

My guess is people will theme Linux to fit any interest, so why should religion be any different? Plus it is possible to customize things like the calendar to recognize specific holidays & the like. Also, at one time there was a distro (don't remember which, this was over a decade ago) that was a bit...biased, against either Israel or Palestine (or some other geo-religio-political conflict) and so removed all references to code by such programmers & in the repository db.

Wow!
I had no idea. 8O

Thanks for the info.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 5:49 pm

Looks like I'm going back to Ubermix on the grab-n-go Thinkpad, Debian Mint is draining my battery and I don't have time to troubleshoot it before tomorrow (re-imaging the SSD from a thumbdrive only takes about five minutes, total including customizations). So, I guess I *do* use something Ubuntu-based after all, although as a highly customized derivative, it's really just the basic system, hardware init, file structure & repositories.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 6:38 pm

I can't see any mentions of Mageia here. I tried out a 32-bit version of Mageia 5 on a live disk a couple of days ago, and was surprised at how user-friendly it was for someone who's never encountered Linux before, though admittedly I was only using it to surf the net.

And interestingly, although the internet is almost unusable under Windows 8 and Internet Explorer on that particular laptop with its modest AMD 1GHz processor, under Mageia and Firefox it was far more responsive. Not sure whether it was the change of OS or browser that was the decisive factor in that though.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 7:06 pm

Hmmm... I'll give Mint Debian a try if it can run an ancillary RPMDB somehow, I always stick to my RHEL roots because of community public repositories these days along with ample PackageKit support.

Oh, I remember Caine! "Twas actually the first forensics distro I ever learned anything about, shortly thereafter I just got started with Backtrack 4/5 instead. While I occasionally find uses for Kali, Fedora Security Lab has been great about installing underneath my usual Gnome so I get everything I can out of it. Right now I actually have a challenge set for myself in Kali: crack M$ Bitlocker!

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 7:50 pm

DeepHour wrote:
I can't see any mentions of Mageia here. I tried out a 32-bit version of Mageia 5 on a live disk a couple of days ago, and was surprised at how user-friendly it was for someone who's never encountered Linux before, though admittedly I was only using it to surf the net.

And interestingly, although the internet is almost unusable under Windows 8 and Internet Explorer on that particular laptop with its modest AMD 1GHz processor, under Mageia and Firefox it was far more responsive. Not sure whether it was the change of OS or browser that was the decisive factor in that though.

That's the community version of Mandriva, right? I haven't thought about that distro (mandriva) since...LinuxWorld 2004? Thanks for the reminder, I'll see how it's doing! :D