So I have now been officially diagnosed.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

BPT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2015, 2:38 pm

I have been assessed as meeting the criteria under the DSM-V for ASD. I have been assessed as having extreme issues to the point I am being referred to Community Services to get aid. I am not sure this is correct, I can care for myself. I realize my house is constantly a mess and my finances could be better but overall I am surviving just fine. Actually I can care for others far better than myself, my pets are very well cared for, the vet is amazed at my connection with them.

My biggest worry is that since I am in the midst of fighting for more time with my children from my EX having help from the community services may be held against me.

Does anyone have any experience about what a community services group might do to impact my life?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 3:25 pm

What issues did your clinician say were extreme?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BPT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2015, 3:56 pm

Social and Emotional Reciprocity and my adaptive functioning level. I need to do more research on things regarding adaptive functioning. It is recommended that I have residential support.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 4:06 pm

While you shouldn't reveal precisely where you are located, we can't really help you unless we know your state or country.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 8:56 pm

I need to research more about adaptive fuctioning also.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 10:41 pm

First, congratulations on having an answer. If I may ask, how does it affect you? Relief? Direction?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 11:24 pm

BPT wrote:
My biggest worry is that since I am in the midst of fighting for more time with my children from my EX having help from the community services may be held against me.

Does anyone have any experience about what a community services group might do to impact my life?
I do not want to be the person who causes you to lose contact with your children due to bad advice. But since no one has answered your direct question yet, let me address it indirectly.

Any kind of social services which can give your life more stability are likely to help you function better. Regular food, medical care, low-income supports such as utility assistance or a free cell phone, these things are supposed to, and probably do, help you cope and function better.

ND people often have to spend an inordinate amount of energy on those kinds of things, so if you can get them taken care of more easily, it gives you more energy to improve in other areas. It's something to think about, anyway.

BPT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2015, 12:13 am

BeaArthur wrote:
BPT wrote:

I do not want to be the person who causes you to lose contact with your children due to bad advice. But since no one has answered your direct question yet, let me address it indirectly.

Any kind of social services which can give your life more stability are likely to help you function better. Regular food, medical care, low-income supports such as utility assistance or a free cell phone, these things are supposed to, and probably do, help you cope and function better.

ND people often have to spend an inordinate amount of energy on those kinds of things, so if you can get them taken care of more easily, it gives you more energy to improve in other areas. It's something to think about, anyway.

BPT
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2015, 12:16 am

BTDT wrote:
While you shouldn't reveal precisely where you are located, we can't really help you unless we know your state or country.

I am Canadian, I live in British Columbia

zkydz wrote:
First, congratulations on having an answer. If I may ask, how does it affect you? Relief? Direction?

emotions for me are difficult. But I feel both positive and negatives. I know it explains a lot of my life and that is good, I know that I can work on things now and that is good too

BeaArthur wrote:
BPT wrote:

I successfully hold down a well paying job, I am very good at it even the boss comes to me for advice. But I am told that being an engineer fits well with my special interest. I know how to so a lot of things, I just have trouble getting started to do them especially when there are other interesting things I could be doing. I know it is a mindset thing I just have trouble breaking it