Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Summertime_Radness
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2015, 12:05 am

Hi, I go by the username Summertime_Radness, you can call me SR or Radness. I don't want to disclose my first name or nickname, at least not yet. But I will say that I'm female.

I'm interested in reading, writing, drawing, Old Hollywood movies, movies in general, social issues, the vintage aesthetic (particularly the 20th century), music, computer programming.

I was introduced to this site through my sister, who suggested I go on here after telling her of some personal problems. I won't go into detail here, but in short, I'm totally head over heels for a guy that doesn't love me and who I had a falling out with several months ago. I've been rather lonely since starting college, and haven't really made new friends, and my old friends are everywhere and I can only talk to them and hang out with them so much. It happens. But I realize my loneliness is a huge part of why I'm finding it so hard to let this guy go. I hope to alleviate at least some of that here.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 12:11 am

As always it's good to meet fellow coders here. Someday I dream of a WP hackathon. What languages are you into?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Summertime_Radness
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2015, 12:34 am

Well, I'm fairly new to programming, but outside of HTML and JavaScript, I've been learning Python for my introductory programming course I'm taking at my college. Next semester, I'll be taking the Java course (not to be confused with JavaScript for the non-programmers, or at least people not at least a little familiar with the grand world of programming). I feel I got the concepts down, but doing programming assignments can completely boggle my mind sometimes. I feel like an idiot when I ask the people at Stack Overflow. Granted, they've helped me a lot, but I still feel like I'm not really learning.

I have a friend who is a more experienced programmer, he says the confusion stage is normal and that if I'll stick with it, it will "click."

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 12:42 am

Subconsciously at least, language is language is language. I like dreaming in JavaScript. I find it helpful to view Java & JS as syntactically congruent even though Java these days relies on centralized build scripts whereas JS is considerably cleaner IMO on account of its' read-evaluate-print-loop structure, in which 'print' can be seen as interchangeable with serialize, parse & all sorts of conditional or polyglot capabilities.

Ultimately there's no substitute for immersing yourself in source... I think most programmers are compulsive learners, a lot of what's out there is programming folly. [link]

Last edited by cberg on 26 Nov 2015, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Summertime_Radness
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2015, 1:01 am

Hmm, interesting. I can't say I really understand the difference between Java and JS (yet), but I get what you're saying about language. I have been learning French for three years, though I'm currently taking a break. I finished my Duolingo "tree" after joining the site on July 14th, 2013, which is coincidentally the day of the French national holiday, a.k.a La Fête Nationale, a.a.k.a Le Quatorze Juillet, a.a.a.k.a Bastille Day. So I'm not totally inexperienced in learning a new language, whether it's in linguistics or programming.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 1:06 am

I'm slowly absorbing Francais from a bunch of hacker music I've been obsessing over. These guys are my new favorite record label.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 5:50 am

Welcome to WP, SR! :D

lunarious87
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2015, 6:13 am

Hey. I used to know HTML and CSS and photoshop. I hope you enjoy it here! :heart:

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 6:38 am

Hi and welcome to WP

StackOverflow can be harsh at times but don't be put off. They can he harsh because they are giving advice for free and expect things to be explained properly so they don't have to waste their time chasing for info. You will realise why over time grrr end users..... TBH though it's not that great a site for explanations it's more I got this error and this is the solution not concepts. But I think the programmers exchange is more for concepts never been on it though so not 100%.

I think there are a few coders on here you can always post in the Computer, Math, Science section you might get a bite for help with things.

Good luck on your courses :)

alex
Developer
Developer

26 Nov 2015, 7:07 am

Welcome to WP!

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 4:34 pm

Hey Summertime Radness welcome. :sunny:

Summertime_Radness
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2015, 6:12 pm

lunarious87 wrote:
Hey. I used to know HTML and CSS and photoshop. I hope you enjoy it here! :heart:

I know Photoshop AND Illustrator. I was in my high school's FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) for my Senior year and competed in the Digital Design category. I won second place in my district, which I was really happy about.

Summertime_Radness
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2015, 6:15 pm

ZD wrote:
Hi and welcome to WP

StackOverflow can be harsh at times but don't be put off. They can he harsh because they are giving advice for free and expect things to be explained properly so they don't have to waste their time chasing for info. You will realise why over time grrr end users..... TBH though it's not that great a site for explanations it's more I got this error and this is the solution not concepts. But I think the programmers exchange is more for concepts never been on it though so not 100%.

I think there are a few coders on here you can always post in the Computer, Math, Science section you might get a bite for help with things.

Good luck on your courses :)

Ugh, yes, I am familiar with this. They *have* helped me in the past, but I'm having to look elsewhere for a current assignment.

I will keep your suggestion in mind. In the meantime, I'm at a Thanksgiving gathering. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, and thank you for all the welcome messages.

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 3:14 am

Well if you do post on here and don't get any response ping me a PM with a link to the post.

I do read the computer forum but only open the threads where the title catches my attention :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 3:37 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Summertime_Radness
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2015, 8:37 pm

ZD wrote:
Well if you do post on here and don't get any response ping me a PM with a link to the post.

I do read the computer forum but only open the threads where the title catches my attention :)

Ugh, it won't let me post for some reason. It keeps giving me a CAPCHA security check. I'll send you a link to the SO post I made through PM.