Is It Even Worth The Trouble To Go To College?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2015, 12:27 am

I'm pretty depressed right now so if I go off on some kind of stupid rambling I apologize. I also couldn't decide if I should put this in The Haven or here so...

The title says it. I recently got my SAT scores back and they're terrible, at least to me. They're nowhere close to the <1% acceptance point of the college I've wanted to go to for a long long time and my GPA is like a 1.7. So right now it seems totally pointless to bother going and that was before I started worrying about my performance during depressive episodes, large crowds, ADHD, OCD, and all the other stuff I've got. I never wanted to go just to get a better job, I wanted to go to learn about stuff for learnings sake. Build and discover cool things, but that doesn't seem to be at the forefront of the metaphorical mind of any school today, and I'm not sure if they'll even consider or like that I've got all these things to deal with. My parents could pay the tuition. They value education to a fault, to the point where they'll work 5 jobs and collect cans off the streets so that's not really a problem (though if we make this a general for everyone question we could say that it is).

Should an Aspie like myself even bother applying? I haven't talked to anyone with any questions, I'm much too shy/lazy for that.

I guess this did turn into a self discussion. Shame on me.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 2:47 pm

What do want to major in?
Contrary to what some people say, there is a lot of learning in college.
Most research universities are focused on discovering and building new things or advancing new ideas.
The main problem for you is the low GPA, which will cause problems getting into most colleges.
How about going to community college to build up a better record, then transferring to university, where you can do more of the things you want?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 5:00 pm

What are the alternatives to having earned a college degree?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2015, 2:55 am

Quote:
What do want to major in?

Not sure. Special interest is information technology. But I have a lot of interests.
Quote:
How about going to community college to build up a better record, then transferring to university, where you can do more of the things you want?

There is no close community college to where I live, no public transit available, and I do not have a drivers license becuase I'm afraid of driving. I live in the middle of nowhere, and the jump(ing around) will most likely kill me emotionally. It's happened before.

Quote:
What are the alternatives to having earned a college degree?

What do you mean? Like other degrees or just not getting one and going to work immediately? Trade schools aren't for me, and I couldn't handle a regular job I'd either get fired that day or want to kill myself from being terribly unhappy.

I did remember one other test, the ACT which I guess I'll attempt and hope I get a better score and send that in. If that doesn't work, I don't know I guess I'll figure that out when it comes.

Still though, I'm skeptical of my performance in college, for the various reasons above. I'd rather not waste my parents money if I'm just going to spend that year being depressed and/or failing classes.

Pineapplejuicex
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Nov 2015, 3:49 pm

1.7 GPA and abysmal SATs suggests that higher education isn't for you right now.