Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 11:18 am

We have a new issue (or our son is just now vocalizing it) with socks being uncomfortable and it takes a good amount of time adjusting and readjusting his socks before leaving the house. They can be OK before the shoes go on and then when he puts his shoes on they shift. His socks and shoes are both the correct sizes.

Is there a particular brand of seamless sock that works best? Obviously, we would rather spend less money than more, but if a particular brand is more expensive but works much better, that would make it worth trying if it is not crazy expensive, if that makes sense.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 1:43 am

ASDMommyASDKid wrote:
We have a new issue (or our son is just now vocalizing it) with socks being uncomfortable and it takes a good amount of time adjusting and readjusting his socks before leaving the house. They can be OK before the shoes go on and then when he puts his shoes on they shift. His socks and shoes are both the correct sizes.

Is there a particular brand of seamless sock that works best? Obviously, we would rather spend less money than more, but if a particular brand is more expensive but works much better, that would make it worth trying if it is not crazy expensive, if that makes sense.

Turn 'em inside out so the seam is on the outside. Sure it looks different, but only with embroidery...and even then sometimes it looks kinda artistic. We've found that it's all trial and error, ideosyncratic not only to our daughter but also to the day or week.

Here are a few sources for specialty retailers, but now-a-days even Stride Rite mall stores sell seamless socks for kids. And when you find the perfect brand and go back to get more...they change 'em.
http://www.softclothing.net/
http://smartknitkids.com/
http://www.kozieclothes.com/
http://therapro.com/
http://funandfunction.com/

Really though, this should give you plenty to choose from:
Google - autism seamless socks

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 12:56 pm

I get running socks. If he is the right size for a women's small they seem to go on sale. The kind that says blister free for running, try a few and something should work. They often don't go much above the ankle but they work.

My daughter only goes for a certain material, and prefers one brand. Not cheap but they do last.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 1:13 pm

Waterfalls wrote:
I get running socks. If he is the right size for a women's small they seem to go on sale. The kind that says blister free for running, try a few and something should work. They often don't go much above the ankle but they work.

My daughter only goes for a certain material, and prefers one brand. Not cheap but they do last.

ASICS made some that my daughter loved (and they're available nearly everywhere)...until they changed something in the fabric mix. Now it's almost like they are bias cut (not likely given the cloth) & they squeeze the middle of her foot where the arch is, ever so slightly, so they're out. :-(

And that's the most frustrating aspect of this: when you find a type, brand and model of clothing that matches an idiosyncrasy...and they change it. Buy 'em in bulk while you can, I guess?

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 1:43 pm

Some running socks have arch support which can be annoying if you don't want to be squeezed. Buying up a size helps. It's really the no blister aspects that you're after, and the label usually says what they do.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 1:56 pm

Cool. Thanks. We went and bought a couple of different kinds at our local box stores, one athletic (with arch support), one not. We tried the inside out trick before but I think something happens to make the socks misshapen after they are worn and washed a few times that makes them uncomfortable. So it is not just the seam, it may be the general shape of the shock becoming ill-fitting.

We are going to try these and see what happens.

Thanks!

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 1:41 am

I wear mine up side down a lot so the stitched in heal is not being stepped on and is not being stretched over my foot.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 1:36 pm

rapidroy wrote:
I wear mine up side down a lot so the stitched in heal is not being stepped on and is not being stretched over my foot.

Great idea, rapidroy! I'll have to try that the next time we are a away from home and a sock heel suddenly becomes a problem (its happened). Could save the outing, thank you! :-)

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2015, 11:34 am

This must be an ASD thing. I had the same problem when I was a kid with the seam driving me nuts. Turn the sock inside out and put it on his foot so the seam is on top of his toes rather than infront of them. I do not know of a sock that has no front seam.

Fitzi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 7:27 pm

We buy Jefferies seamless socks. We had major issues with socks before we found them. It could take up to an hour to get socks feeling just right in the past. Now, he has only minor issues occasionally. You can find them online, but I have had a difficult time finding them in stores. I get them on Amazon. For some reason, my son will only wear the "athletic" version of them, with the shorter rim. They have gray color around the foot. I tried another version of Jefferies that did not work as well. He might go for the 'crew' version but, since he has not complained about the ones he has, I have not tried those. We have tried the Stride Rite version of seamless socks, which did not work at all for him.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 3:16 pm

I just don't wear socks. It's not a big deal. Even in winter, it gets down to 40 below but if I'm wearing decent boots, my feet won't get cold.