This American Idol fisco is entertainment history GOLD

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 12:51 pm

In case you haven't been following the recent American Idol flap closely at all, one of the shows constestants, who is considered the least talented contestant on this year's show, has beated out many other contestants with much more talent.

Sanjaya Malakar is widely believed to be the least talented contestant on the show. But because of the efforts of Howard Stern and his legion of loyal listeneers, coupled with Votefortheworst.com, Sanjaya is being propelled into a position where he just may very well win this year's American Idol contest. And I for once am so devilishly overjoyed that the whole voting system and the very contest itself is being manipulated just sends spasms of joy through my heart.

Because something you surely must realize by now is that the whole contest is rigged and forged and controlled and skewed and misled right before our eyes all in the name of good television. The way we view the contestants is a carefully orchestrated ballet of misinformation. As Votefortheworst states, the show is not about finding genuine and fresh American talent, it's about making a buck at the cost of contestant's dignity and in the name of good television.

The creators, the producers and Simon Cowell himself, who owns the record label who gives successful contestants their very first recording contract, all created a system to exploit these hopeful singers and an eager viewing audience curious to watch in as contestants fall over themselves in pursuit of the seemingly grand prize. The show's producers set up a system designed solely for the sake of good television and to make a quick buck at our expense. We are asked to call in and vote for our FAVORITE singers. And each call, of course, costs us money that goes into the hands of many people who really doesn't need it. So what Howard Stern and Votefortheworst has done is to use their votes and turn the whole American Idol against itself by voting for the worst performer on the show. Voting for the person who should have been voted off first, once he made it to the final rounds. The show, the producers still get their money. It still costs money to send in text messages to vote for Sanjaya Malakar. But at least the votes are going against the credibility of the show. It's undermining the very foundation the show was, at first glance, supposed to stand for. But what these people have done is by giving people good television indeed.

The funniest thing about it is that the show is that it's being undermined by its detractors by the very system the show's producers put in place. America was supposed to love the show and spend their hard earned money to voting in their favorite contestant. And I always wondered what would happen if some smart people got together and turned the system against itself? I have happily found my answer. So now the show is making itself a boatload of money while at the very same time it is undermining its own credibility. Because the system can be manipulated so that the worst contestant has a chance to win. Since we all know the people with the really good talent weren't ever really given a chance to succeed in this show. It was always about good television and never about good talent.

The best revenge of all is that if Sanjaya Malakar is voted the next American Idol, Simon Cowell will be pressured to give him his first recording contract. Which won't sell 10 copies in all the world. That's the whole system that Simon Cowell help put in place when he decided to help create the show's premise. He helped usher in a television show that will turn out a talent he can't earn very much money off off once he (potentially) wins the show. But would that matter if Sanjaya couldn't sell a single music track if he won a contract from Simon Cowell? Everyone involved with the show has already made their money. And continues to make even more cash as the forces work together to vote Sanjaya the next American Idol.

It makes me want to put my Guy Fawkes mask on and dance around those idiots with some Beethoven blaring in the background.

:lol:

Last edited by markaudette on 12 Apr 2007, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 1:30 pm

so that's the big deal with voting for that guy? never watched tv but other boards have talked about voting for him. i just don't watch the show at all. it's an insult to good music and isn't even good entertainment because you have to put up with uninspired covers of classics that completely ruin the spirit of the original songs (okay, i did watch a couple episodes with an ex...wasn't my choice).

eh, i just wish there weren't so many morons in the world who watch that kind of garbage fast-food television with all the fats for the fathead no-brainers and none of the nutrition.

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2007, 1:41 pm

I personally can't stand American Idol, I think it's ruining pop music (which CAN be good and original, despite what radio would have you think) and goes against the basic motivation for making art. Real artists create art (because real artists MUST create to feel alive), and if fame comes with it by accident, then great. American Idol contestants seek fame and if art comes with it by accident, then great. I don't like it at all.

Plus I've had a few really talented friends who have never thought there might be any path to success other than American Idol. They auditioned and were told they had amazing voices but were too fat.

So if this Sanjaya thing is messing up the process behind American Idol, I find that highly amusing :D

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 2:17 pm

They should have a "karaoke idol" show.

Oh wait... that's what this is, really. Nevermind... :roll:

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 2:19 pm

chairbreak wrote:
and were told they had amazing voices but were too fat.

they shoulda replied "but randy jackson and rosie o'donnell are fat and they're on tv all the time! what about that fat guy who won a couple years ago?"

but...lemme guess....your friends are female? just assuming because there's normally a bit of sexism involved in being biased against fat people.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 3:14 pm

It just feels good manipulating the people who mainpulate us using THEIR own system.

Makes me wonder what the next season will offer. I wonder if they somehow change the system to be purely judge-based system instead of using the phone vote system.

And the last episode saw Haley Scarnato getting voted off. TV GUIDE has an article where Haley talks about being upset that Simon critiqued her appearance despite the show being a contest about vocal talent.

Once again, these reality shows prove that it's not about your talent, it's about how well you can look while letting them make you look like an idiot.

:evil:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 3:25 pm

I hate "American Idol" with a passion.
Phone vote should be banned.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 3:28 pm

Oh no! Phone voting definitely should NOT be banned!

Phone voting is what is making the show lose its credibility. If it becomes a judge-only show, really neat things like Votefortheworst.com won't be possible. And I want everyone to undermine American Idol for the sham it really is.

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Apr 2007, 5:31 pm

Being homeless much of the time I am very out of touch w/TV now and have hardlyeven seen a secondof AI.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 6:35 pm

Can't stand 'Australian Idol', and it's influence. I've tried growing my hair out to be like Tom Baker....

But they reckon I look like the winner of the first 'Australian Idol', Guy Sebastian....

GAAAHH!! !

On sabbatical...

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 6:44 pm

I hate that I even know what you're talking about--my parents have gotten into the show recently and are very vocal about it. >.<

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 6:56 pm

Veresae wrote:
I hate that I even know what you're talking about--my parents have gotten into the show recently and are very vocal about it. >.<

They need therapy!! !!

On sabbatical...

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 7:19 pm

It's a shame that people can't do something like this for the Oscars. :roll:

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2007, 9:17 pm

That Sanjaya is a riot. I hadn't been watching American Idol the past few seasons, mainly because I can't stand it and they kept picking the wrong people to win.

Maybe if he does win, American Idol will get cancelled finally. Melinda deserves to win though.

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2007, 10:56 pm

skafather84 wrote:
but...lemme guess....your friends are female? just assuming because there's normally a bit of sexism involved in being biased against fat people.

One was female, one was male.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 4:56 am

chairbreak wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

One was female, one was male.

i must admit...i'm kinda surprised your male friend got turned down.....normally the media is more accepting of an overweight male than female. but then again...i've noticed with the overweight males....they're still a certain look....a look i don't see often with overweight males.