Religious Objection Bill-Gay Marriage KY

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 2:38 pm

I just heard about a bill going to the Kentucky State Legislature that will give government officials the right to refuse to issue marriage licenses to gay couples based on their religious beliefs. It's not surprising to me given the number of conservative Christians in Kentucky. I don't care as long as the officials involved don't try to prevent others from issuing the marriage licenses like Kim Davis tried to do. It's one thing to act on your religious beliefs. It's another thing to try to make others live by your religious beliefs. What do you guys think?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 3:03 pm

If you have a government job serving the public, you don't have the right to pick and choose who you want to help. If you have religious objections to serving certain people (in this case, providing marriage certificates), then you should quit. Otherwise, public servants would have the right to discriminate between citizens they don't like.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 3:56 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
If you have a government job serving the public, you don't have the right to pick and choose who you want to help. If you have religious objections to serving certain people (in this case, providing marriage certificates), then you should quit. Otherwise, public servants would have the right to discriminate between citizens they don't like.

I always thought that your suppose to follow the letter of the law unless you can provide a reasonable objection which keeps you from performing your duties as such. Hey, maybe I should claim religious objection the next time I get a jury duty summons.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 8:20 pm

I hope that whoever supports this bill doesn't become the next Kim Davis. :x

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 8:26 pm

Meh.

If one person refuses to do his or her job on religious grounds, then go to the next window, the next county, or even the next state, if necessary.

Don't let some religious jerk cause you to make a scene - that's exactly what many of them seem to want, so that they can use your negative behavior as further justification of their oppressive ways.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 9:03 pm

Is that now not a dangerous precedent?
I mean, is it now possible to sue for denial of any given government service based on any religious belief, one base of this one case in which it became law?
I'm honestly curious and know little about the details of US law.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 9:07 pm

Truthfully I don't know where this case will go, hopefully not to the highest court in the land.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 9:29 pm

kazanscube wrote:
Truthfully I don't know where this case will go, hopefully not to the highest court in the land.

I'm quite sure that's what they want, since it's obviously illegal.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 9:54 pm

It hasn't made it to Frankfort yet but it will pass. Kentucky just elected a conservative governor. He'll do some kind of executive order if this law doesn't pass.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 10:09 pm

kazanscube wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I always thought that your suppose to follow the letter of the law unless you can provide a reasonable objection which keeps you from performing your duties as such. Hey, maybe I should claim religious objection the next time I get a jury duty summons.

I might just try that! :lol:

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 10:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Meh.

If one person refuses to do his or her job on religious grounds, then go to the next window, the next county, or even the next state, if necessary.

Don't let some religious jerk cause you to make a scene - that's exactly what many of them seem to want, so that they can use your negative behavior as further justification of their oppressive ways.

Nonsense. Civil servants work for the public. They should be held to account if they shirk their duties.

as for "making a scene" i don't recall hearing any reports of gay people trying to get married in kentucky making a scene.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 7:15 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Meh. If one person refuses to do his or her job on religious grounds, then go to the next window, the next county, or even the next state, if necessary. Don't let some religious jerk cause you to make a scene - that's exactly what many of them seem to want, so that they can use your negative behavior as further justification of their oppressive ways.
Nonsense. Civil servants work for the public. They should be held to account if they shirk their duties.
Sure. Hold them accountable. Get them fired, even. Just do so quietly.

blauSamstag wrote:
as for "making a scene" i don't recall hearing any reports of gay people trying to get married in kentucky making a scene.
Don't you watch TV? Didn't you see the loud, raucous protests? Didn't you notice the smug, condescending look on the face of the clerk as she turned down requests?

True, it wasn't Kentucky. Then again, that clerk still hasn't had to issue any same-sex marriage licenses, even though her subordinates have.

Go ahead and make a scene if you want to, and you'll be playing right into the fundies' hands!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

looniverse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2015, 9:22 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

What about if the law changes AFTER you assume office?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 10:25 am

looniverse wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What about if the law changes AFTER you assume office?

Doesn't matter; you're still bound to obey the law as a civil servant.