Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

aretilda
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2015, 10:15 pm

Like 8 years ago I was diagnosed with Non Verbal Learning disorder which is allegedly an Autism Spectrum Disorder, but recently I've heard there was some changes to the latest edition of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) "no longer includes Asperger’s syndrome; the characteristics of Asperger’s syndrome are included within the broader category of ASD", http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/autism-spectrum-disorders-asd/index.shtml which I agree with I never understood why I was diagnosed with something that's rarely talked about and very little research, most people have never heard of Nonverbal learning disorder.

Here is a definition of NLD: http://ldaamerica.org/types-of-learning-disabilities/non-verbal-learning-disabilities/

So my question is with these recent changes, how does my NLD diagnosis stand to today's standards? Is it an Autism Spectrum Disorder? Is my diagnosis out of date? Should I seek a new diagnosis?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 10:26 pm

NLD isn't, nor was an ASD.

RebeccaK
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Nov 2015, 10:38 pm

I had been assessed this past month, and had been told i am on the autism spectrum. Neuropsycologist also said i had difficulty reading between the lines and could not read non verbal social cues. So i assumed i may also have NLD along with ASD.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 10:42 pm

When I was diagnosed with NLD it was merely one of a long list of symptoms that taken as a group (if enough were present) indicated a person was likely to be on the spectrum.

Now it seems they are seen as highly overlapping, along the order of 80% comorbid, but looking at the problem from two different viewpoints (Autism from a social or behavioral, NVLD from a neurological).

EggStirMeanAte
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2015, 10:58 pm

NLD isn't in the DSM-5.

I think NLD is a grouping of symptoms that has various causes. The NLD symptoms are also common ASD symptoms, but they can be caused by other things, too. I think NLD was dropped as a diagnosis because it overlaps with so many other things.

Your current diagnosis would depend on the experience of the person assessing you. Some psychologists who are less familiar with ASD may give you a piecemeal diagnosis of 2 or 3 other things that they're more familiar with. But the most important thing isn't the DSM code on the paper, it's that you get the right tools to deal with the issues that you have.