good and bad jobs for someone with an ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

joshskuxx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2015, 10:18 am

I was thinking of making a thread that lists some good and bad jobs for people with ASD.
comment what jobs you think would be good and bad for someone with autism
this is what I think:
Good jobs for people on the higher functioning end of the spectrum:
IT industry
engineering
architecture
graphic design
artist
mathematician (if they are good at/interested in maths)
writer
science industry (cosmologist,biologist,physicist, chemist,medical scientist etc)
mechanic
carpenter
welder
truck driver
accountant
statistician
journalist
video game designer
librarian
pilot
Good jobs for people on the lower functioning end of the spectrum:
cleaner
store restocker
factory worker
library helper
warehouse helper
gardener
brick layer
mail room sorter
waste collector (probably wouldnt be enjoyable, but it would be repetitive and alot of people with ASD like that)
Bad jobs for people with ASD:
retail industry
fast food industry
teacher (because there would be a lot of "difficult" children to deal with)
doctor/surgeon (this might actually be a good job for some people with ASD)
nurse
paramedic
police officer/security guard
lawyer
politician
actor
receptionist
auctioneer
real estate agent
telemarketer
waiter/waitress
flight attendant

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 2:56 pm

Probably, in most cases, you're right.

But there are, definitely, exceptions to the rule.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2015, 3:49 am

I know two people with ASD that has/had professions that you wouldn't expect them to have because of their ASD.

A father of a friend on the spectrum also is on the spectrum and he was a doctor. He stopped being a doctor not because of his ASD, but because of his age.
Another person, likely on the spectrum, is a teacher. He is extremely intelligent and he told me that he speaks Middle English (that is English spoken between 1066 and 1500) fluently. Unfortunately, he died in an accident when he was 61.

ZD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2015, 4:05 am

Even though I am a software engineer (currently acting as an architect so I have a lot of free reign) I have more of an aptitude for been a doctor, but I can't stand been near people for long periods and I am squeamish hence the job that I am in.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2015, 9:48 am

Things that I ever wanted to study (and some of them I partially already know) are:
- linguistics, especially phonology, phonetics, linguistic rules;
- music theory (I already play a synthesizer and am a singer);
- teacher to adults about English, Dutch grammar, Esperanto, music;
- programming (I have been a programmer for two months);
- doctor;
- bookkeeper;
- (neuro)psychiatrist;
- speech therapist.

Bosco123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm

I have not been officially diagnosed, but I spent the better part of 30'ish years driving ships all over the world. My differences did not start to show through until I had an entire crew working for me that needed full access to me any time, any day, any hour.

I started to become what they termed....."Very Grumpy and Unapproachable" and that is when it finally started to fall apart around me. When I was underway on the boat, the noise is incessant, the people rude, and the routine often VERY unpredictable. Thankfully I was able to retire asap after my weakness in executive functioning started to show.

My last five or so years was spent breaking ice on the Great Lakes and I am so very happy that I was able to do that. It was a blast!! The most fun I EVER had driving a 140' towboat.

Thank you for the bandwidth.

Cheers,

David

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 9:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Probably, in most cases, you're right.

But there are, definitely, exceptions to the rule.

You are definitely right. Look at the list of bad jobs and look at my username. :roll:

FutureVet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2015, 10:07 am

Bad jobs: Human Resources. I did say pretty much anything and got told off for being "too blunt" several times.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
AQ: 44

Let me explain: I am not diagnosed nor am I "self-diagnosed," all I know are what my life experiences have been up to this point and a lot of it makes more sense when considered through the lens of autism and sensory processing issues.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 2:50 pm

QA and software testing can be *excellent* positions for HFA's who don't mind tech. Various engineering jobs for those who love it.

QC (quality control, usually in manufacturing, packaging, etc) can be a really good fit for those who do mind tech or it's not a good fit.

Sales can be miserable due to the expectations of being able to bond instantly with a stranger.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 7:46 am

Without wanting to generalize, I'd say most customer-focused jobs/careers are unsuitable for those diagnosed with HFA/Asperger's. To be in a role which requires one to sell or assist in the purchase of a product does require a degree of assertiveness and personability (is that a word?).

If you are diffident like me and do not have a degree, I would say a role such as an archivist or data-entry clerk would be ideal. Unfortunately, though, interviews can be truly terrifying experiences for those on the ASD spectrum. It's shameful for me to admit that at 25 I have never had a successful interview with a prospective employer. I have only worked for employment agencies who, in my experience, employ any miscreant than registers with their company. But these positions are usually in factories where working at a fast pace is imperative, which again may pose a problem for an individual on the spectrum.

looniverse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2015, 9:18 am

My job, accountant, is on your good list.

Although, you have actor on your bad list. I've always felt like an actor in my daily life. I have different roles depending on where I am. I know that people don't really think of me as being on the spectrum, so I feel like I perform those roles really well. In a sense, I am acting all the time.

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2016, 3:13 pm

JakeASD wrote:
Without wanting to generalize, I'd say most customer-focused jobs/careers are unsuitable for those diagnosed with HFA/Asperger's. To be in a role which requires one to sell or assist in the purchase of a product does require a degree of assertiveness and personability (is that a word?).

If you are diffident like me and do not have a degree, I would say a role such as an archivist or data-entry clerk would be ideal. Unfortunately, though, interviews can be truly terrifying experiences for those on the ASD spectrum. It's shameful for me to admit that at 25 I have never had a successful interview with a prospective employer. I have only worked for employment agencies who, in my experience, employ any miscreant than registers with their company. But these positions are usually in factories where working at a fast pace is imperative, which again may pose a problem for an individual on the spectrum.
what exactly does that mean? I work in sort of a customer service job as of now and the only thing I don't like about it is the pay. It's basically a transition job that I have been trapped in since 2012. Everyone who is helping me out says I don't need to be there. I agree. That's why I'm looking into something more my speed and interest. I'm currently researching the field of travel and I found that flight attendants get training after the application process then go through a period of reserve (usually about six months) before officially flying as a flight attendant. I don't know if this is something I want to do. But considering I have a friend who works for Virgin America (soon to be part of Alaska airlines) It's definitely something to consider when job hunting.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 11:27 am

Classifying jobs as "good" or "bad" tends to set limits on the possibilities for an ASD person. Speaking for myself, however, I know the fast food industry would be a bad pick, because I do terrible when I'm in a hurry. Also, politics would be a nightmare. I couldn't stand the endless "glad handing" that would entail.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 11:50 am

Working conditions can make a big difference--someone who can't handle cubicles may do just fine if he has an office--or fall apart entirely in an open space situation. Same job--different productivity.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 12:04 pm

It really depends on the person. I know an Aspie who is both an actress and a manager at McDonald's.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2016, 2:52 pm

I love acting in plays and have no idea what you would put that in the "bad jobs" list. I've been in 19 shows and was the lead in several of them. Most of this is just huge generalizations.