Being friends with two people who aren't friends anymore

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2015, 1:28 am

Let me tell you about two of my friends. We go to similar events together. The first one actually introduced me to the other. They are no longer friends with each other and are on each other's bad sides because of an issue that was none of my business. Both are still friendly toward me, though.

I hung out with one of them tonight. I'm meeting up with the other tomorrow. How do I handle being friends with both of them at the same time? I have nothing ill to say about either of them.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:42 pm

Just carrying on with being friends with each of them separately. It's a shame that you can't all be friends together but if it's not your problem, there's no need for you to feel in any way responsible for the situation.
Don't talk about the other person if they are not there.
If one friend brings the other up, just change the subject.

MissKate
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2015, 4:19 pm

Non_Passerine wrote:
Let me tell you about two of my friends. We go to similar events together. The first one actually introduced me to the other. They are no longer friends with each other and are on each other's bad sides because of an issue that was none of my business. Both are still friendly toward me, though.

I hung out with one of them tonight. I'm meeting up with the other tomorrow. How do I handle being friends with both of them at the same time? I have nothing ill to say about either of them.

Easily - don't bring up the subject of the ex-friend. If they bring up the subject of the ex-friend, you can say something like "yes, Julie's well. Aren't you excited about [insert activity you're about to do with the fried you're with]?" Or "Julie's well. How about those [local sports team]?".

Easy-peasy.