Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2005, 12:43 pm

I have no fear of job interviews at all. I think it must be the idea that it is a structured meeting and I pretty much know what impresses people. I actually much like interviews even though I haven't had one for over 4 years now. Is anyone else like this?

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2005, 2:28 pm

First job interview was hell. The next one was unpleasant. THe third was alright.

See the pattern?

ruminate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2005, 2:30 pm

I never liked interviews. First you must sit across from the person who is looking for you to look at them. Second, they want you to tell them about yourself and such stuff. For me, I could get a job. I got a job doing drafting by telling the employer I'd work for free for a week to prove my skills, which was enough to make them believe that I would be an excellent employee. The interviews were always extremely stressful for me and if I wasn't hired I took it really personally like I was a failure. Job interviews are like pop-quizzes, you may get asked a question that you have no answer for.

ManureMental
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2005, 3:02 pm

No, interviews are not nice the feeling of eyes waiting to lock onto you like a surface to air missile, no not nice at all then spend the rest of the interview half switched on while the other half of you scans everywhere else in the room exept the oncoming eye missiles, if you get my jist of things

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2005, 3:10 pm

Consider yourself lucky if you actually enjoy job interviews! Even folks without any social difficulties are usually apprehensive about interviews, including those who are confident about themselves and their ability to impress an employer.

For me, interviews have always been one of the worst things in life. I was over thirty years old before I was actually hired after an interview and that was only because the fellow was an unskilled interviewer who did all the talking. That’s the kind of interviewer I like, but unfortunately that kind is rare.

If the question “tell me about yourself” comes up in an interview, it’s pretty much over for me at that point. If I tell the truth, I will be excluded from hiring. No amount of preparation has ever aided my performance in an interview and in fact, preparation has only served to increase the level of anxiety I experience prior to the interview. Whatever I have memorized during my preparation is forgotten the moment the interview begins anyway, so in the end, my interviews are entirely ad-lib and I come off as unfit for employment.

rearden
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2005, 5:42 am

Absolute_Zero wrote:
I have no fear of job interviews at all. I think it must be the idea that it is a structured meeting and I pretty much know what impresses people. I actually much like interviews even though I haven't had one for over 4 years now. Is anyone else like this?

Same here. I pretty much know what I'm going to be asked, what I need to explain about myself, what the interviewer wants to hear, how I need to behave, etc. So I have no problem with them at all.

Now if someone walks up to me at a bar and begins a conversation out of the blue, THAT is more of a problem!

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2005, 8:55 pm

I guess it's just the fact that it is more or less structured and I know pretty much what to do. If I have to sit in a room with people and gossip, I get wacked out and don't really hear the conversations over each other that well.

With an interview, even if 2 or more people are talking to you, they are usually taking turns so it's clear to understand them.

JWPhotoGraphics
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Nov 2005, 4:03 pm

I tend to interview very well, but NEVER get hired.

Coctyle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2005, 8:44 pm

Most interviewers are not trained to do it and are nervous themselves, trying to fill the amount of time that they are supposed to fill. Thats why they will sometime do alot of the talking themselves. I've been on both sides.

I have had a couple tough interviews, but mostly easy. They hardly ever ask you anything technical or anything relating to the job itself, just small talk stuff. I can see how this could be tough for most aspies, but myself, I have learned how to fake it through that kind of stuff. Before going in, think of one or two things that you like to do that are at least slightly normal. They don't have to be super-normal, it is actually good if the interviewer is unfamiliar with your chosen leisure activity. I pick disc-golf, even though I hardly play anymore. Most people don't know a lot about it, so I can take about 5 minutes just describing what disc-golf is. Then when they ask you what you like to do, or ask you to describe yourself, just talk about your one or two prechosen subjects. By the way, "Tell me about yourself" is a terrible interview question. People should be embarressed to ask something so generic.

The worst interview I ever had, somewhat ironically, was for a job at a Six Flags themepark (big franchise of amusement parks here in the states). I say ironically because, at the time, I was close to graduating with a degree in engineering, and most of the people they interview are high school kids, and not necesarily the brightest high school kids. I think the interview was tough because the questions probably came out of some interview handbook. They were very generic, but were made to be kind of challenging. Things like, "Tell me about a time that you overcame a challange" and stuff like that. In other interviews, I had been able to get through those kinds of questions, but for some reason, that time I was just a mumbling idiot. I could tell I was making the interviewer uncomfortable, and the interview was probably over in like 10 minutes, since I could hardly think of anything to say.