Are you annoyed by the way people speak?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

07 Dec 2015, 1:48 pm

I cannot stand the way most people talk. Their voices constantly go UP and down and UP like a rollercoaster; it's very annoying. I hate when two people are having a very loud conversation in an otherwise quiet environment. I am unable to tune them out. Do you talk like that? Does it annoy/irritate you when people talk like that?

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 2:00 pm

Some are very annoying. The worst is when I think people have stopped talking, and then they say some more stuff.
It's not just the tone of voice, but also the rhythm and volume.

But I don't exactly sound all that great either, so the universe is in balance, lol.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2015, 2:16 pm

ResilientBrilliance wrote:
I cannot stand the way most people talk. Their voices constantly go UP and down and UP like a rollercoaster; it's very annoying. I hate when two people are having a very loud conversation in an otherwise quiet environment. I am unable to tune them out. Do you talk like that? Does it annoy/irritate you when people talk like that?

I really hate it when people speak so loudly that they can be heard a block away. Extra hate points for when they are practically shouting while standing within whispering distance of each other, or while talking on a cell phone. I do not want or need to know all about your failed love affair, your awful divorce, the restraining order you're about to get against that stalker who won't leave you alone, or your heartrending appeal to your child, of whom you are not the custodial parent. If you are shouting these things at a cell phone so that everyone in the neighborhood can hear you, it is no longer a private conversation, but a public display of fundamental social incompetence. :evil:

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:03 pm

There's a news anchor/news reader woman on one of the UK tv channels, on the 10 o'clock national news.

She begins each new piece of news with a really, really quiet voice and then talks normal the rest of the way.

So all I hear is "mutter mutter subtle whisper THEN NORMAL VOICE AND HE HAS NOW DIED."

WHO? WHAT? For fck's sake speak the hell up!!

If I keep my TV volume at a medium-quiet range because I can't stand normal speech to sound loud, I don't get to hear what the crap this women says for her first sentence. Her voice drives me so crazy I now avoid watching that news on that channel even though there are other reasons I would prefer it.

What happened to the good old days of broadcasting when announcers, news anchors, weather people etc were actually TAUGHT that they must maintain a level vocal volume in all speech? They used to actually be told how to speak in a constant, moderate manner in order to be heard clearly throughout a sentence. Now they do what they crapping want.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:28 pm

It's irritating at the same time as being enviable. I wish my voice had such flunctuations in pitch and tone. I communicate like a disconnected robot, who has descended down to earth from a distant galaxy.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:34 pm

Loud people are annoying. Thankfully we don't have all that much of a culture for it here.
Fluctuations in pitch and tone aren't annoying to me, it helps knowing what they mean to say. On the other hand, very monotone speech can be boring and hard to follow, they usually make me sleepy.

I find myself getting annoyed by certain words and terms I've heard repeatedly lately in creepypasta and alleged true stories on YouTube.
One of them is "or something" or "or whatever". If you don't know the detail, then don't add it. It just distracts from the story.
Another is "and all that jazz". It sounds dismissive and makes me distance myself from the main character.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 3:50 pm

At least when someone's loud you can friggin' hear what they're saying....

I cannot STAND for someone to change volume. This woman with the quiet starts and the normal endings makes me want to KILL her. And I can't infer what the beginning was because most of the time the most important part of a news item is the opening sentence.

Why should I freaking have to work it out for myself? While I'm trying to backtrack and infer what she's talking about, I'm then missing the next bit. INFURIATING.

It's a news anchor's job to maintain an even level of volume. It used to be a valued thing taught to these people.

Last edited by BirdInFlight on 07 Dec 2015, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2015, 3:52 pm

There's a guy in my school who has a really high voice. I also can't really stand when my teachers give me instructions, it feels like they are speaking a whole other language.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 5:36 pm

News anchors and Meryl Street type actors are the worst for me.

Regular conversation doesn't both me as long as I can see the persons mouth so I can try and lip read if I miss something aurally.

I hate it when I can hear conversation from the next room. You don't hear all the words, just the up and down noises and it really irritates me, especially if there is intermittent laughing and I'm trying to concentrate or get to sleep.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2015, 5:43 pm

Varelse wrote:
ResilientBrilliance wrote:

I really hate it when people speak so loudly that they can be heard a block away. Extra hate points for when they are practically shouting while standing within whispering distance of each other, or while talking on a cell phone. I do not want or need to know all about your failed love affair, your awful divorce, the restraining order you're about to get against that stalker who won't leave you alone, or your heartrending appeal to your child, of whom you are not the custodial parent. If you are shouting these things at a cell phone so that everyone in the neighborhood can hear you, it is no longer a private conversation, but a public display of fundamental social incompetence. :evil:

My mom, dad, and sister always talk so loud, I could hear them from downstairs even when my bedroom door is closed.

MonsterCrack
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 5:49 pm

I'm REALLY annoyed by the way one of the paraprofessionals at schools talk.... she is WAY too direct (she's from New York) and she's REALLY loud...

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2015, 6:27 pm

It's more the very loud, shrill voices that bother me. I get headaches from some groups when they're laughing.

electrictype
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2015, 10:21 am

Yes, and I especially hate it when people whisper. The sound plus the feeling I get is disturbing and I absolutely despise it. I also hate it when people talk loud and fast, it's even worse when they're right next to you.
Then again, I get annoyed by pretty much everything.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2015, 12:31 pm

electrictype wrote:
Yes, and I especially hate it when people whisper. The sound plus the feeling I get is disturbing and I absolutely despise it.

I hate it especially if they do the "whisper in my ear" thing. Holding back the automatic "must punch this person in the gut" reaction is so HARD. Not showing this in my face is even harder. And they usually seem offended when you move away.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 2:24 pm

I personally love overhearing other people, but on the occasions when I'm annoyed there's a quick way to shut it down.

Me to Husband, loudly: "Hey, weren't you looking for some of this [any embarrassing personal item]?"
Husband to Me, loudly: "Yes, we ran out because you used it all on yours!"

Shuts people up every time.

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2015, 2:59 pm

JakeASD wrote:
It's irritating at the same time as being enviable. I wish my voice had such flunctuations in pitch and tone. I communicate like a disconnected robot, who has descended down to earth from a distant galaxy.

Now that I think about it, I probably come off as robotic or creepy because my voice does not fluctuate. I think of my voice as steady, not monotone. But I've never asked anyone.

hurtloam wrote:
News anchors and Meryl Street type actors are the worst for me.

Regular conversation doesn't both me as long as I can see the persons mouth so I can try and lip read if I miss something aurally.

I hate it when I can hear conversation from the next room. You don't hear all the words, just the up and down noises and it really irritates me, especially if there is intermittent laughing and I'm trying to concentrate or get to sleep.

I hate intermittent laughter. I know that makes me sound like the Grinch, it's just that it irritates me. I actually love to laugh. But sometimes hearing loud laughter makes me cringe. Like the way chalk on a chalkboard can make some people cringe.

MonsterCrack wrote:
I'm REALLY annoyed by the way one of the paraprofessionals at schools talk.... she is WAY too direct (she's from New York) and she's REALLY loud...

I like direct people lol. I am very direct and have been told I am blunt.