Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2015, 12:55 pm

Does anyone else find with a lot of things, that they just seem to take ages getting them done?
Some things I seem to be able to do within a reasonable time but others, I can't even properly explain how or why, they just seem to take me waay more time than they should. I suppose there are different factors which can effect it though, as some things I'm able to do pretty quickly one time, another it seems to take forever. Like how much information I'm dealing with at the time; what's going on around me, recent events I'm still 'feeling'/trying to process, future events, things on my mind etc.

When I had my assessment recently, I remember it was mentioned, alongside my need for order and structure and my amazing paradoxical ability to create clutter and mess eventually finding myself overwhelmed and completely unable to work a way out of it. I remember also, the consultant said something about a couple he'd seen and the wife used to just do things herself if she wanted it done quickly because it would often take her aspie husband so long to do it.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 12:58 pm

It's called executive function deficit, basically poor decision making, severe procrastination etc. It's a common trait of AS.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 1:36 pm

Sometimes it literally takes me months or even a year or longer to get some things done, even simple things. It can depend on the thing I have to do and how drained my brain is.

Wreck It Ralph

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 3:12 pm

skibum wrote:
Sometimes it literally takes me months or even a year or longer to get some things done, even simple things. It can depend on the thing I have to do and how drained my brain is.

^^^ Same. Some things I'm very quick with getting done. Others - people wonder what the heck I'm doing that it takes so long.

8)

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2015, 3:33 pm

:hmph: I hate it when I'm sure I end up looking like I'm stupid though.

Btw neilson_wheels you're avatar is adorable :)

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 5:30 pm

Just do things your own way and try not to let what others think bug you too much.

Thanks, I like your bus picture too.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 6:39 pm

Kirstie, you are a completely normal aspie :D

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 10:06 pm

It takes me a long time to clean. I'm living on my own with my cat, I moved 4 months ago, I still have things in boxes & storage bins.

wronngbong
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2015, 10:29 pm

yes..

Last edited by wronngbong on 08 Dec 2015, 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 10:50 pm

I struggle with executive functioning. It takes me a lot longer to complete most tasks than others. I find menial jobs that others find easy, I find very difficult. Planning, forming strategies, problem solving, creative thinking, tasks that others find difficult, I find really easy. Even though I know it is related to executive functioning, I don't exactly know what it is that I struggle with or why either. I think that this is the one aspie trait that I find I struggle the most with, much more than social issues. I am not exactly sure how to overcome my problems related to this because as I said, I don't even know what I am struggling with.

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Dec 2015, 12:28 pm

Thanks, at least I know I'm not on my own!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Dec 2015, 9:26 pm

Sometimes. I think some of it is due to my ADD &/or or Sluggish Cognitive Tempo.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 1:09 pm

I take a long time organizing myself at the start of my shift at work; usually about half an hour when it only should take about 10 minutes. I'm often told off for still not have started my work yet, due to unintentional delaying.

I'm a housekeeper at a care home, and all us housekeepers have to make sure we have everything we need on our cleaning trolleys before we start, and it's quite a lot of equipment and chemicals we need. I have tried writing down everything I need on a list, but unfortunately that still doesn't make me go any faster. I just get distracted easily, very easily.

When I'm working (cleaning the rooms and corridors) I get distracted too. I find myself wandering off, finding co-workers to have a quick natter to (if I know them enough), getting a drink, going toilet, then taking the longest way round the building to get back to the part of the building I am cleaning. Sometimes I feel pleased when something goes wrong, like a toilet is really blocked or I have ran out of a cleaning substance, because that will give me an excuse to go and find my supervisor to tell her, and because I have a good friendship with my supervisor, I often start up a conversation as she goes to sort out the issue.

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2015, 8:12 pm

Yup. I was always told I had poor time management skills. I manage time fine. I manage to use it all on my interests is all. :lol:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 7:02 am

^ I do so too, but there still isn't enough time.

Yes, I can definitely relate to this topic, I'm not quick in anything I do, including my writing.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 1:33 pm

I'm not only slow in cleaning, I'm a very slow organizer, I don't read my mail right away, good thing I get mostly junk. I'm also slow at managing my money. And I can't see tooooo many doctors so close together if that happens I will get overwhelmed. I need to stop talking about stuff to my grandmother, she really don't understand me.