Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2015, 6:12 pm

Happy people want you to act happy, too, so that they don't have to think about the bad things. Unhappy people want you to be unhappy, too, so that they feel better about their unhappiness. Angry people want you to be angry, too, so that you can prolong their anger by fighting with them.

Is there any way to win?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 7:40 pm

Laugh when you're happy; cry when you're sad; scream when you're angry; and if nobody likes it, tell them to got to Hell!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 7:56 pm

If someone is making you feel a certain way that you don't want to, then get away from them. My Ma does this sometimes especially when I'm getting ready to go to work - we talk everyday and sometimes she'll be in a bad mood and I can't take that when I've got a long night of work ahead of me and I need to focus on that so I usually end the call before she puts me in a really grumpy mood. People tend to mirror the person they are around. I like to hang around more positive people.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 8:00 pm

Good, nurseangela. :D
I had forgotten that that was an option lol.
My dad can really drag the entire household down sometimes.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 9:10 pm

Malaise wrote:
Happy people want you to act happy, too, so that they don't have to think about the bad things. Unhappy people want you to be unhappy, too, so that they feel better about their unhappiness. Angry people want you to be angry, too, so that you can prolong their anger by fighting with them.

Is there any way to win?

The way to win is to maintain your own emotional equilibrium.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2015, 1:24 am

Fnord wrote:
Laugh when you're happy; cry when you're sad; scream when you're angry; and if nobody likes it, tell them to got to Hell!

Good advice. :lol:

arielhawksquill wrote:
Malaise wrote:

Is there any way to win?

The way to win is to maintain your own emotional equilibrium.

That's what I try to do. Sometimes it seems like the only option is to turn off the computer, stay inside, and just read a book instead of talk to people.

nurseangela wrote:
If someone is making you feel a certain way that you don't want to, then get away from them. My Ma does this sometimes especially when I'm getting ready to go to work - we talk everyday and sometimes she'll be in a bad mood and I can't take that when I've got a long night of work ahead of me and I need to focus on that so I usually end the call before she puts me in a really grumpy mood. People tend to mirror the person they are around. I like to hang around more positive people.

It's frustrating to see. Even on some support websites, I feel like people are angry when others are happy or having success and try to rile them up, discredit it, or put them down.

I know what you mean with relatives, though. My mother is one of the chronically negative people in my family. They're upset or stressed pretty much every time we talk. I've started to tune it out over the years, but they'll take anything... shootings, terrorism, neighbors, traffic, work, immigrants, weather, restaurant service. They'll ask "Isn't that just weird?" in a loud voice or something to try to get others complaining and scared, too.

Ending a call or conversation early is really the only option sometimes. I try to be understanding because I have really bad periods, too, but there's a limit.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 3:19 am

Fnord wrote:

Exactly

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 12:58 pm

If you decide to cry, however, don't forget this wise saying someone, at some point, already posted on these forums:

Quote:
Laugh and the world will laugh with you; cry and the world will laugh at you.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.