Is finding someone attractive Objectification?

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 6:11 pm

I'm not equating anything with anything.

Obviously, there's no comparison between rape and adultery.

I'm just speaking about THINKING something versus actually DOING something.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 6:24 pm

Was referring to people who equate thinking and doing.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 6:29 pm

I've had people force themselves upon me. So I know how it feels.

So, if I'm trivializing this sort of thing, I'm trivializing my experience, too.

I've never thought about raping anybody in my entire life.

But many people have quite weird fantasies and quite weird dreams. You can't convict them for that.

If we stop people from fantasizing and dreaming, we'll be under the Thought Police.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2015, 6:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
One only rapes somebody when one actually rapes somebody.

You can't "mentally rape" anybody.

Jimmy Carter once said that he committed "adultery of the heart."

But he didn't commit adultery.

It isn't that simple, many murder and rape crimes are premeditated.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 6:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've had people force themselves upon me. So I know how it feels.

So, if I'm trivializing this sort of thing, I'm trivializing my experience, too.

I've never thought about raping anybody in my entire life.

But many people have quite weird fantasies and quite weird dreams. You can't convict them for that.

If we stop people from fantasizing and dreaming, we'll be under the Thought Police.

Im not saying that You are trivialising anything.

The notion that finding someone attractive is objectification, that they are the same, that a thought about attraction is a prelude to assault comes from the mass trivialisation of an actual action. Am I making any sense?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 6:47 pm

Anybody who extends attraction into assault is really someone who belongs in prison, or at least in treatment.

Assault (a completed assault is usually called "battery" in the US, though it's called "assault" in NY State) is solely an action where there is no consent for the action by the other person.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 11 Dec 2015, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 6:47 pm

Nocturnus wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, but the point is being attracted to someone isn't a dangerous thought process no different from intending to forcibly have your way with them. Finding someone attractive and thinking you'd enjoy sex with them isn't the same thing as premeditated thoughts of rape which would lead to sexually assaulting or raping someone. For that particular crime is about power and not sexual attraction anyways...so it wouldn't even make sense to suggest having sexual attraction is the underlying thought process that would lead to rape.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 6:55 pm

There's an example where "black and white" thinking is erroneous.

We must think in colors.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2015, 7:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Nocturnus wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, but the point is being attracted to someone isn't a dangerous thought process no different from intending to forcibly have your way with them. Finding someone attractive and thinking you'd enjoy sex with them isn't the same thing as premeditated thoughts of rape which would lead to sexually assaulting or raping someone. For that particular crime is about power and not sexual attraction anyways...so it wouldn't even make sense to suggest having sexual attraction is the underlying thought process that would lead to rape.

I completely agree that desire is natural but at the same time, you are equating that person to a sexual object or a means to an end instead of seeing them as a person. There is a difference between looking at someone out of intrigue versus perversion.

Many people believe rape is associated with physical power but on a deeper level, psychological and sexual power are the real culprits. It is an attitude and that can become a consensus, look at the rape culture in countries like Pakistani.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2015, 7:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

We must think in colors.

I disagree, I believe rape can be a mentality or perspective.

In countries where women are treated as second class citizens or objectified, rape is higher. Under the Sharia, women require five male witnesses in court before the testimony of the woman holds any significant value.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 7:21 pm

I don't have that perspective, so don't attribute that perspective to me because I'm a member of a society which might have that perspective.

I am me. I'm not a society.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 7:30 pm

Nocturnus wrote:

I completely agree that desire is natural but at the same time, you are equating that person to a sexual object or a means to an end instead of seeing them as a person. There is a difference between looking at someone out of intrigue versus perversion.

Many people believe rape is associated with physical power but on a deeper level, psychological and sexual power are the real culprits. It is an attitude and that can become a consensus, look at the rape culture in countries like Pakistani.

I don't know that sexual attraction/desire necessarily means you don't see them as a person though. I mean I can see how the thought process could go that way but a feeling of attraction alone doesn't really negate seeing them as a person per say.

Also I didn't mean just physical power, of course psychological and sexual power are involved...what better way is there to make someone feel powerless than physically subduing them, doing sexual things with their body they don't want and leaving them stuck with the damage?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 7:37 pm

I certainly don't see my lover as an armadillo when I'm making love to her.

AR1500
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2015, 4:31 am

Nocturnus wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

We must think in colors.

I disagree, I believe rape can be a mentality or perspective.

In countries where women are treated as second class citizens or objectified, rape is higher. Under the Sharia, women require five male witnesses in court before the testimony of the woman holds any significant value.

Good Gawd....

Rape is a action. The idea that rape is a mentality or perspective is such garbage. In ultraconservative muslim countries, the rape of women unfortunately is pretty much legal because they are viewed as chattel. In western countries this is not the case at all.

You can police peoples actions, and even their words....but you will NEVER police peoples thoughts. When you see a stranger in public that you know you'll probably never meet or talk to, let alone learn their name, it's hard to see them as a whole person because you only have an image of them. But in your mind you understand that they are a person and you do not have the right to touch, fondle, or have sexual intercourse without their explicit permission.

And more importantly, the majority of women raped in the US are assaulted by someone they already know or at least have met and are acquainted with(which is what we call Date Rape). The guy gawking at you across the street in broad daylight might creep you but it's very unlikely you'll be attacked then and there or anytime soon by him!

InsomniaGrl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 6:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I certainly don't see my lover as an armadillo when I'm making love to her.

What do you see her as?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 11:05 am

A lady :heart: