Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

joshskuxx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Dec 2015, 9:04 pm

Im in year 10 and i got 2 C,s 3 B,s and 2 A,s (I almost got 3 A,s but I couldnt hand in my last assignment so I didnt). in the next two years What grades should I aim for? when I finish year 12 will still be able to go to university if I get C,s/ low b,s ?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 3:25 am

If you want to go to a prime university, aim for A's with a few high B's
For a 'regular' uni, B's will suffice, usually, but there is no such thing as to high a mark, aim for A's and try to prevent C's (but don't dispair if you get one)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 7:07 pm

You're doing okay. At least you're not failing.

I would shoot for A's and B's myself--preferably A's.

But if you get A's and B's, you'll be okay.

Don't get too many more C's.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 1:20 am

aim high.

at year 10 you probably have plenty of time to make a turnaround in time for uni applications.
if the situation is anything like here, grades are only one part of a "package" unis look for in new students, which includes volunteering, extracurriculars, etc..

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 11:00 pm

You can EASILY get into most colleges with those grades. If you were consistently getting C's, then it would be more risky. I still think most people can get into college with C's, however. You could attend community college first and get good grades, and then transfer to a university. Lots of people I know have done that. According to what a GPA (4.0 scale) calculator online says, you have a 3.0 average, which is considered a B.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2015, 11:05 pm

For the best schools, you need to do better.

A350XWB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2015, 8:50 am

It depends which colleges the OP is aiming for.

If you're talking about Australian colleges, then pay attention to the major (Australian colleges will ask students to declare majors on their applications)... because the major, more than the university, will determine the grades required in that case. In which case what areas are you most interested in?

I understand the appeal of American colleges especially if one is undecided at this stage. But, while a 3.0 can get you into the majority of colleges, few, if any, will give you merit aid with a 3.0; those who do require high test scores. :D

joshskuxx

25 Dec 2015, 9:28 am

A350XWB wrote:
It depends which colleges the OP is aiming for.

If you're talking about Australian colleges, then pay attention to the major (Australian colleges will ask students to declare majors on their applications)... because the major, more than the university, will determine the grades required in that case. In which case what areas are you most interested in?

Yeah i,m talking about Australian colleges. I haven't fully decided yet because I don,t need to for another 2 years , I want to study something like architecture or engineering, but i,m also interested in science (maybe forensic science or something to do with biology/genetics) ,medicine,law,psychology,and game design.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2015, 3:54 pm

that's a lot to choose from.

is is easy to change majors once you've already declared one? one thing i like about my school is that changing majors is hardly a hassle.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 11:13 am

I don't know what the university structure is in your country, but here in the US there's an informal system that people use when they have grades like yours (average grades). In the US, we would go to two years of community college, which is a school that offers 2-year/Associates degrees and take all the general education classes there. At that point, we would work harder to maintain As and Bs. Even so, the As and Bs would transfer into a 4-year college as Ts (transfer credits). So you would start off halfway through your 4 year degree with a 4.0 GPA, and then you could work very hard to keep As. You would now be taking at least most of your classes in your interest area, which should be easier. Then if you want to go to grad school, you will have a good GPA.

And it's always good to leave it open for yourself to go to grad school. You never know what you'll want to do later.

Worst case, your grades aren't that bad. A friend of mine got her undergraduate degree with something like a 2.5 from the same institution where I go for my grad degree, and she's doing well. No one cares about the GPA once you leave school for work.

pro100pk2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2015, 5:27 pm

You're doing okay.

keep it up :wink:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 8:29 pm

joshskuxx wrote:
Yeah i,m talking about Australian colleges. I haven't fully decided yet because I don,t need to for another 2 years , I want to study something like architecture or engineering, but i,m also interested in science (maybe forensic science or something to do with biology/genetics) ,medicine,law,psychology,and game design.

Those of us in the fields you cited found secondary school to be pitifully easy and achieved straight A's with very little effort.
In my view, you should strive for straight A's and if you cannot attain that standard, you should re-think your future plans.
Best of luck. :D

Edit: I considered whether my comment may be taken poorly. I do not mean to be harsh or critical. I do mean to be frank.
I have worked with many hundreds of individuals in these professions and none that I know found high school the least bit challenging.

joshskuxx

31 Dec 2015, 7:08 am

slave wrote:
joshskuxx wrote:

Those of us in the fields you cited found secondary school to be pitifully easy and achieved straight A's with very little effort.
In my view, you should strive for straight A's and if you cannot attain that standard, you should re-think your future plans.

Edit: I considered whether my comment may be taken poorly. I do not mean to be harsh or critical. I do mean to be frank.
I have worked with many hundreds of individuals in these professions and none that I know found high school the least bit challenging.

I understand that you were,nt trying to be critical/harsh,however it appears as though you are basically saying that I,m not capable of doing what I want In life.

I know that am capable of getting straight/mostly A,s but I have a lot other of problems that cause difficulties (eg. being anxious/paranoid about what other people think at school, depression, being bullied and getting punished even though I am the victim,having teachers that can barely speak English and not staying motivated etc). I've missed out on learning the material in the past but I am catching up beginning to achieve higher grades than others (a lot of people in my grade actually get lower marks than me).

I've gone from not putting in any effort, not paying attention and failing/barely passing to getting mostly B,s, a couple of A,s and only 2 C,s within one semester. also I never said that the material was too difficult, however there are other factors that make my "school career" harder (The aforementioned issues as well as the fact that the education system sets students up to fail).

You are entitled to an opinion, however I will not accept being told to "rethink my future plans" nor that I am too incompetent/unintelligent to achieve my goals in life, I know that I am capable of achieving my dreams and I definitely won,t give up despite what you, or anyone else says.

Last edited by joshskuxx on 31 Dec 2015, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 8:49 pm

joshskuxx wrote:
slave wrote:
joshskuxx wrote:

I understand that you were,nt trying to be critical/harsh,however it appears as though you are basically saying that I,m not capable of doing what I want In life.

I know that am capable of getting straight/mostly A,s but I have a lot other of problems that cause difficulties (eg. being anxious/paranoid about what other people think at school, depression, being bullied and getting punished even though I am the victim,having teachers that can barely speak English and not staying motivated etc). I've missed out on learning the material in the past but I am catching up beginning to achieve higher grades than others (a lot of people in my grade actually get lower marks than me).

I've gone from not putting in any effort, not paying attention and failing/barely passing to getting mostly B,s, a couple of A,s and only 2 C,s within one semester. also I never said that the material was too difficult, however there are other factors that make my "school career" harder (The aforementioned issues as well as the fact that the education system sets students up to fail).

You are entitled to an opinion, however I will not accept being told to "rethink my future plans" nor that I am too incompetent/unintelligent to achieve my goals in life, I know that I am capable of achieving my dreams and I definitely won,t give up despite what you, or anyone else says.

I am sorry to hear of the unfair and abusive treatment you are receiving @ school.
You do not deserve that at all.
I was also bullied and went to a really dysfunctional school which functioned within a fvcked up education system.

To clarify, I did not say or even imply that you are not CAPABLE of success in a field of your choosing.

What I did say is that " IF you cannot attain that standard(ie. st8 A's)" that you should re-think your goal"

Now, obviously IF you CAN attain excellent marks then you will NOT have to re-think your plans.

The Academic world is harsh, it does not care about someone's POTENTIAL, it only cares about someone's RESULTS.

I did not say that you are "too incompetent/unintelligent to achieve my goals in life" but I understand that's what you felt I was saying.

Please forgive me for giving you that impression.

You said "I know that I am capable of achieving my dreams and I definitely won,t give up despite what you, or anyone else says."
^^^^^this is exactly the right kind of attitude and fighting spirit that will help you fulfill your goals...don't ever change that :D

selflessness
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2016, 8:56 am

First of all, I'd give you the advice to pick a field that you're interested in and/or are good at. And don't do it for anyone else than yourself. I always found I knew myself the best and knew what was good for me, rarely have I been proven wrong. You'll have to work hard either way, but being motivated and having talent sure goes a long way in university. So do your best to make the right choice.

It's hard for me to comment on your grades as I'm not too familiar with US academic grading. Where I live the only requirement to pass in high school is a yearly average of at least 50% on all classes. Anywhere from 75 to 85% would be considered good. Consistently getting 90% or higher (an A in the US I believe) is only for the top 5%. The last group makes up most of the students at university. They'll usually get a degree with relative ease, however the people who are not so talented often don't. In my previous university (BA in Chemistry) 2/3 people who enter leave with a degree. There are a few who were never going to make it from the start, but for the most part these students are the best of the best and it's still hard. With an ASD it becomes infinitely harder. So in the end it's up to you whether or not you want to take the challenge.