Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 5:18 am

I don't like celebrating Christmas anymore, I used to love Christmas as a child, it was my fave holiday. Now, I don't want to decorate Christmas trees & go to see my family for Christmas. They spend 6-8 hours celebrating, is that normal? I always get bored when I'm at my grandmother's house. Now that I'm in my 40s, I don't do things like I did before. I wish I can move far far away so I can't come back for the holidays.

SilverAmazon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2015, 5:30 am

I don't do Christmas - haven't for years.

I am the least stressed person I know on boxing day because I haven't had to spend the day before keeping a lid on things pretending to not be irritated like crap by relatives I can only deal with for an hour at a time.

If the weather is good I will go for a bike ride - best day of the year for that the roads are so quiet.

I will make something complicated for food but only because its such a quiet day and its one of my favourite meals

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 12:52 pm

Froya wrote:
goatfish57 wrote:
Froya wrote:
Anyone else?

But I do enjoy some of the Christmas food traditions. I plan to have a little celebration on my own on Desember 22 instead, which is the shortest day of the year (Winter solstice). I'm celebrating that the days will slowly get longer (and with time warmer) for every day that passes :)

Great idea, also the Summer solstice. The holidays were never celebrated in my family. No tradition to follow.

Actually it is already a tradition in Norway to celebrate Summer solstice. Usually by fireing up big fires along the coast late in the evening. But since it means that from this date on the days will slowly become shorter (and in time colder) I tend to feel a little depressed about it.

In Finland, too. Juhannus (mid-summer's day) is a national holiday. It usually turns into a drinking fest. :D

Legend holds that if a young maiden picks seven different wild flowers, and places them on her pillow, she will see a vision of her future husband in her dreams.

Sweden also celebrates the solstice, I believe.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Dec 2015, 2:56 am

I mostly like Christmas as a kid cuz I got off from school & got presents. I don't really celebrate it much nowadays except by having a meal with family & I get money from my parents.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2015, 3:10 am

We're only having an observance at our house because we all happen to have December 25th off, and certainly not a birthday celebration for Christ (who astrologers and astronomers tend to believe was more likely a springtime baby).
We're going to do the big meal with turkey, potatoes, pumpkin pie and such and will exchange simple, unwrapped presents while listening to random non-religious holliday music which could range from songs like "My Favourite Things" to "Winter World of Love" or "Winter Time". We will include Coca-Cola for Rum & Cokes especially if eggnog runs out.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 6:12 pm

I cannot celebrate it because I am a Christian.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 7:00 pm

I don't like the parties and holiday shoppers and the like, but I still really enjoy the lights, tree, food, and the presents. Mostly the season just makes me feel warm and sentimental for no real reason. I'm an atheist and don't buy into the whole Jesus's birth thing, but my dad, my sister and I (all non-religious) do go to a Catholic mass at midnight on Christmas eve because we like singing the traditional carols, but then we mostly zone out for the sermon.

Despite not believing in God I do believe in Santa Claus, and write him a letter every year. I know most people my age think he's not real, but thinking about the possibility of his existence makes me happy, so I see no reason to let the belief go.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 8:05 pm

I celebrate christmas because its simply a tradition passed from my parents and from theirs. Actually christmas traditions is really serious in our family, lol My parents broke up one christmas because my mom wanted to open presents on christmas eve instead of christmas morning. Im an aithiest, i dont attend church, i dont pray. technically i dont even celebrate "christmas" i celebrate the pagan/ coca cola holiday. lol.

I make a list, i put up a christmas tree, i decorate it, i listen to christmas music, watch christmas movies, buy a little bit of gifts for my loved ones, on december 24th i get to open 1 present and on december 25th i open the rest, then i see my cousins and aunts and have a big dinner ( sometimes the dinner is on december 24th, sometimes its on the 25th i dont think there will be one this year because we had a christmas dinner a week ago). i really love christmas.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 8:11 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I don't like celebrating Christmas anymore, I used to love Christmas as a child, it was my fave holiday. Now, I don't want to decorate Christmas trees & go to see my family for Christmas. They spend 6-8 hours celebrating, is that normal? I always get bored when I'm at my grandmother's house. Now that I'm in my 40s, I don't do things like I did before. I wish I can move far far away so I can't come back for the holidays.

Since everyone in the family we made is either on the spectrum or has most of the same issues (sensory, OCD, nvld, motor skills, etc), when we visit my family of origin or that of my spouse we now do it on our terms, keeping in mind all of our limitations. It's actually quite nice now, especially since the gift giving is only for the kids. We stay maybe 3-4 hours and that includes dinner.

Until we reached the point of understanding where we realized we *had* to do holidays that way or not at all, they were their own little circle of Hell. There's nothing wrong with living as you need to to be comfortable in your own life, especially if you *explain* your reasons to the people it might also affect.