How to get ADHD diagnosis when you have autism diagnosis?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 7:30 pm

I think I've always had obvious ADHD. I just wasn't diagnosed because when I got tested they didn't allow both labels to coexist. I want the ADHD label because it explains my issues without the bias that autism has.

One bias in particular is change. People with autism tend to have issues with change and people with ADHD thrive on change. I thrive on change. My schools didn't understand that. If I would have had an ADHD label instead they probably would have understood.

When I'm dating someone I don't want them to have autism related biases about me. ADHD would be a useful label to explain my flakiness.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 8:26 pm

They allow the labels to coexist now.

The psychologist who diagnosed me as autistic also diagnosed me as ADHD because I couldn't stay on topic. I would literally interrupt myself when I suddenly thought of some other thing to talk about (what my mom calls my "Look! there's a bunny" act). I read somewhere that having both is not uncommon, especially if you have a lot of sensory processing issues like I do. It's hard for me to concentrate if I'm being distracted by a lawnmower, coworkers chatting, my sweater, my sore foot, reminding myself to pay a bill, etc. I was surprised by the ADHD diagnosis because I wasn't really looking for it, but it makes a heck of a lot of sense now. I'm not the hyperactive kind--I had no issues with fidgeting or running around in school. I was the daydreamer lost in her own world.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 10:04 pm

Was first diagnosed ADHD inattentive; later caused from autism. I have moderate attention deficit.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Dec 2015, 10:47 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
When I'm dating someone I don't want them to have autism related biases about me. ADHD would be a useful label to explain my flakiness.
Just tell em you have ADHD & don't mention your autism for a while. They have no way to check if you were officially diagnosed with ADHD or not.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 11:12 pm

GodzillaWoman wrote:
They allow the labels to coexist now.

The psychologist who diagnosed me as autistic also diagnosed me as ADHD because I couldn't stay on topic. I would literally interrupt myself when I suddenly thought of some other thing to talk about (what my mom calls my "Look! there's a bunny" act). I read somewhere that having both is not uncommon, especially if you have a lot of sensory processing issues like I do. It's hard for me to concentrate if I'm being distracted by a lawnmower, coworkers chatting, my sweater, my sore foot, reminding myself to pay a bill, etc. I was surprised by the ADHD diagnosis because I wasn't really looking for it, but it makes a heck of a lot of sense now. I'm not the hyperactive kind--I had no issues with fidgeting or running around in school. I was the daydreamer lost in her own world.

I'm happy about that. Things were hard for me when both conditions were lumped together. I remember you were talking about disclosing your diagnosis at work. Have you thought about only disclosing ADHD? If they don't take ADHD seriously you can always mention autism later.

nick007 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Just tell em you have ADHD & don't mention your autism for a while. They have no way to check if you were officially diagnosed with ADHD or not.

I'll try that. I've just been asked several times if I'm diagnosed whenever I tell people. I usually just say I have "attention issues" because I'm scared of being asked if I'm actually diagnosed. I talked to my mom about it and she says my autism diagnosis can also count as an ADHD diagnosis.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 4:01 am

nick007 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

That's what I do. Like the OP, I've always had obvious traits of ADHD, but my shyness and high anxiety levels at school got me diagnosed with AS instead. I was quiet in school, but had attention problems and always daydreamed, and would often fall behind my peers intellectually. But I was hyperactive at home, full of energy, and was like bouncing off the walls. I didn't settle down to read a book much, and I got so distracted easily.

I have read that people with ADHD, particularly girls, can have high anxiety levels with it. I feel I mainly have ADHD and high anxiety levels, with borderline ASD. I'm much happier seeing myself this way, as it seems more true to me than just an ASD diagnosis. It explains my behaviour better to other people.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 4:12 am

Joe90 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

That's what I do. Like the OP, I've always had obvious traits of ADHD, but my shyness and high anxiety levels at school got me diagnosed with AS instead. I was quiet in school, but had attention problems and always daydreamed, and would often fall behind my peers intellectually. But I was hyperactive at home, full of energy, and was like bouncing off the walls. I didn't settle down to read a book much, and I got so distracted easily.

I have read that people with ADHD, particularly girls, can have high anxiety levels with it. I feel I mainly have ADHD and high anxiety levels, with borderline ASD. I'm much happier seeing myself this way, as it seems more true to me than just an ASD diagnosis. It explains my behaviour better to other people.

Do people ever ask if you actually have a diagnosis? I'm scared of that happening to me. I don't want to be seen as a self diagnoser. How successful has the ADHD label been for you?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 5:28 am

You have been diagnosed - maybe not with ADHD, but still diagnosed. If they ask for more information you could give the details of the autism one - like if they ask how old you were when you were diagnosed, you could tell them how old you were when diagnosed. If they want details on what happened, maybe think of some of the most general (as in, not specific ASD stuff) parts of the assessment or that you don't really remember.

Or if you're not up for twisting things/lying then maybe see a doctor and say you think you have ADHD or something, I imagine it's a similar process as ASD but could be wrong.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 6:45 am

DevilKisses wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

Do people ever ask if you actually have a diagnosis? I'm scared of that happening to me. I don't want to be seen as a self diagnoser. How successful has the ADHD label been for you?

It describes me a lot better. Some people have even asked if I have ADHD. So now I just define myself as that.

But I've never been deeply questioned anyway. Friends don't really want to know the ins and outs. But saying I have ADHD at least makes them know why I'm a bit eccentric.