Favorite Book You've Read This Year: 2015

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASDLibrarian
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2015, 8:46 pm

I enjoy reading a lot, and have read several books this year (but none of them new seeing as I am focusing on a book list). I was wondering if anyone has read anything published recently that I might enjoy when I need a break from one of my endless Modern Library or Pulitzer Prize Winning lists (or something not recent, I am always looking for good books, fiction or non-fiction).

I'll also start with my favorite that I have read this year which was "Ragtime" by E.L. Doctorow. I know not new, but he did pass away this year but I was fortunate to have run into this book this year. Since I am a big history nerd, this book mixed great historical knowledge with humor and action which created an enjoyable read for me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 4:02 am

Neurotribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman

Close Second
Taken by Storm,1938: the Meteorlogical an Sociological History of The Great New England Hurricane
By Lourdes B. Avilas

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 11:32 pm

The Fifth Heart by Dan Simmons.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 1:43 pm

ASDLibrarian wrote:
I enjoy reading a lot, and have read several books this year (but none of them new seeing as I am focusing on a book list). I was wondering if anyone has read anything published recently that I might enjoy when I need a break from one of my endless Modern Library or Pulitzer Prize Winning lists (or something not recent, I am always looking for good books, fiction or non-fiction).

I'll also start with my favorite that I have read this year which was "Ragtime" by E.L. Doctorow. I know not new, but he did pass away this year but I was fortunate to have run into this book this year. Since I am a big history nerd, this book mixed great historical knowledge with humor and action which created an enjoyable read for me.

May I recommend: "Don Quixote de la Mancha" - Miguel Cervantes (1605 : tome 1 / 1615 : tome 2)
Main Charachter having all Asperger symptoms (although not diagnosed by critics ;o)
This book does not help you "pretending" to be NT but it helps you understanding all NT world and your interactions with it. Cervantes has this talent to show to AS, all things NT will never tell an AS and AS understands all he wouldn't otherwise understand. And if you are willing to make the effort, he gives you keys to the NT world. (and if you like humor, you will not be disappointed!)

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 1:44 am

O.K. So this isn't necessarily a book but more of a series. Anyways, my favorite books that I've read in 2015 are The WaterFire Saga by Jennifer Donnelly. The books center around 6 Mermaids from the 6 kingdoms of Merfolk scattered across the oceans who have to stop a global cataclysm. The history of the kingdoms is also strongly centered around the lost continent of Atlantis. The series is a tetralogy (4 books like the Twilight saga except much better written), but only 3 of them have been published (the 4th book is set to be released some time this summer). The 3 books are Deep Blue, Rogue Wave, and Dark Tide. Feel free to check them out if you're at all interested.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 12:44 pm

So, these days my reading consists mostly of reading journal articles related to social sciences (pretty heavy) and comics (I need this light reading to give myself a break).

However, I did read The Martian this summer. It's way better than the movie, which was also VERY good.

For comics, I'm rereading Geoff Johns' run on Green Lantern (rebirth of Hal Jordan, The Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night) it's great scifi pulp.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 2:16 am

Horns, by Joe Hill. I liked the book so much that I asked my wife to get me the movie based on it for Christmas. In comparison, the movie sucked.