Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

11 Dec 2015, 10:15 pm

I'm 24 and I've still never gone "Christmas shopping". Like the whole ritual where you're on your feet shopping for an entire day. Usually I have no money at Christmas time. I end up not getting anything for anyone or I make people presents. Last year I bought my mom and dad each a present but they were upset because I didn't have their gifts engraved (worked at a place that did engraving, bought items from work). But yeah, that made me feel really sad and like a failure and like I don't want to even try buying people presents ever. Also, most of the things that I get my parents for any occasion just ends up being something that collects dust. I got my mom a nice zippo lighter for her to use for her eyeliner and she never used it for ANYTHING it just sat in one of her drawers. I don't get what the point it of getting them anything if they're not going to use it ever. I could buy myself something that I will use but then I get in trouble for buying myself nice things because I live in their house. But it's okay for me to buy people xmas presents that will not be used. I hate this holiday. :skull: --

http://bit.ly/1L29X77

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 10:29 pm

They got mad at you because you didn't engrave their names in something? You're not a failure. You thought of them and that's what really counts. Just buy Christmas gifts that you think they'll like. If it's something they can't wear/use, give them the receipt so they can return it for something they can use. Otherwise, if they don't appreciate it, that's on them. You tried.

Another thing, I avoid stores altogether and do all my shopping online. It saves a lot of time and aggravation and you can really find some great deals.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 10:35 pm

I agree with the shopping online suggestion.
We've mutually agreed not to buy gifts for the family now, we just have a relaxed get-together.
It takes a lot of the stress out of Christmas because I'm the kind of person who will suffer crippling anxiety at the thought of buying and exchanging gifts.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 12:02 am

My dad and stepma don't want presents anymore. For everyone else, we usually ask each other what we want, but that only takes about 70% of the hassle out of it because then you have to run around from store to store trying to find what they want.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 12:48 am

How about give them money or gift cards.

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2015, 2:36 am

I buy their gifts based on what I think each person looks like.

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2015, 3:34 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I agree with the shopping online suggestion.
We've mutually agreed not to buy gifts for the family now, we just have a relaxed get-together.
It takes a lot of the stress out of Christmas because I'm the kind of person who will suffer crippling anxiety at the thought of buying and exchanging gifts.

I also have to put in effort to not becoming overwhelmed by it. Especially when I start thinking to myself, things like; "I could get this person this. But if I get them something then I need to get so-and-so something or else..." It's like a chain reaction. If I get one person something I have to get everyone something because we all open gifts together.

ritualdrama
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2015, 3:36 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

This is an idea that I always forget about!!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Dec 2015, 12:32 am

ritualdrama wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

This is an idea that I always forget about!!
My parents got really upset when me & my girlfriend tried to give em money sense they know we don't have much money when they have a bit; they're lower middle class & me & my girlfriend are on gov benefits. We still give em gifts thou but they make a big deal about how we shouldn't. My girlfriend likes giving people gifts but I never really liked it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 11:58 am

i've never done a whole day of shopping either. the most i can handle is a couple hours. and that's for anything really. going to a relative's house for an event...grocery shopping...christmas shopping. as for working 8 hrs straight... some days i can ... and other days i get really restless (even though i do have work to do).

when i do go shopping...i usually go once i know what i'm generally or specifically getting. (i say generally, because like for my mom...i'm getting her a pandora charm. but the store i go to, i won't know what they will have...and i'm not the type to go store to store to store just to find that one charm i wanted to get).

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 6:00 pm

I tell people I cannot have anything to do with Christmas in view of the first of the Ten Commandments, Jesus was born in October, December 25th is well known to be the birthday of the sun, I don't want to insult Jesus.

The advantage of this belief system is that I don't have to spend hours of anxiousness trudging around shops buying things people don't want, and nobodies ever stopped being my friend because of it, in fact they are probably pleased as it means one less present they have to find as they know I certainly don't want a present.

Just imagine if everybody was brave enough to jump off this materialistic treadmill all at once, everybody would be so glad, except commerce that is.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 6:37 pm

I start my Christmas shopping in the summer. If I see something I know that someone is going to like, I buy it. I'm usually done my shopping by the third week of November. That way, I don't have to step into any stores in December.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

14 Dec 2015, 3:08 am

It's pretty tough for me at times, my mind goes blank!

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."