Paranoid about stores and restaurants keeping track of you

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 4:00 pm

I've always been paranoid about that. I hate it when people remember me. It's just creepy to me. I know that restaurants keep track of customers. I'm wondering if stores do the same thing. I sometimes feel like I'm being watched by people who work at the store. It doesn't help that I live in a small-ish city. I wish I could live in a larger city so I could be more anonymous. I don't want one bad day to cement my reputation. I just want people to let me go shopping in peace.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 6:49 pm

I feel this way too. I use to go to a small grocery store about a year ago and some of the cashiers there discriminated against me so I quit going there. It doesn't happen as much in bigger stores.

Last edited by slw1990 on 12 Dec 2015, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 7:10 pm

Me too!
I feel like it's nobody's business to track my shopping or eating behavior.
I'm even worrying a little about items containing hidden electronic chips that could be read anywhere and idenfify me.
"Ah, it's the guy with those boots again...". f**k. :evil:

*but I mean grocery stores have cameras everywhere, so...

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 7:18 pm

Kind of hard for the grocery store I go get my groceries from not to remember me considering I go there once a week and I live in a medium sized town that has 15,000 permanent residents, not including college students. It's more of "do they remember me from when I worked their" that has me worried. A few people do even though I've grown my hair out and have facial hair now.

Last edited by Feyokien on 12 Dec 2015, 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 7:24 pm

They can't really 'track' you if you don't use checks, credit cards, or their discount clubs. I always pay cash unless the purchase price is over $300. I also fill my prescriptions only at the pharmacy run by the same group that my physician belongs to, thus not spreading my medical data over multiple systems.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 7:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
They can't really 'track' you if you don't use checks, credit cards, or their discount clubs. I always pay cash unless the purchase price is over $300. I also fill my prescriptions only at the pharmacy run by the same group that my physician belongs to, thus not spreading my medical data over multiple systems.

I know they can't track me. I'm also worried about people remembering me. That happens whether I use cash or not. I actually think using cash will get me remembered more. I'll be known as the "cash only girl".

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 8:40 pm

I find a lot of things to worthy of paranoia these last few years. I went to fill out 3 online job applications. They all used "third party resume collection" services. Each one required me to 'sign in' through 'one of my social media' accounts. I only have a LinkedIn account. They didn't want quick access to my resume or job history or anything else. They wanted access to *everything*! ! My contacts, my email, everything.

So, yeah, I think everything is being tracked and categorized. And, it ain't just how you pay for things.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 8:55 pm

Oh, you actually mean people remembering you.
Like, the waiters remembering your name and stuff like that.

Well, where I live there's only one small supermarket and I know the faces of the employees and they probably know most of the regular customers' faces. I don't feel bad in any way that they recognize me.
Although I try to avoid them and often don't greet back when they do, they already know I'm "weird". I'm not paranoid about that either.
If I knew that I'm being closely watched by a store clerk, that would really freak me out, though.

DevilKisses wrote:
I don't want one bad day to cement my reputation.

Would be nice if you elaborated on that a little bit, please.
Ever done anything at a store/restaurant that has/could have cemented your reputation?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 9:13 pm

zkydz wrote:
I find a lot of things to worthy of paranoia these last few years. I went to fill out 3 online job applications. They all used "third party resume collection" services. Each one required me to 'sign in' through 'one of my social media' accounts. I only have a LinkedIn account. They didn't want quick access to my resume or job history or anything else. They wanted access to *everything*! ! My contacts, my email, everything.

So, yeah, I think everything is being tracked and categorized. And, it ain't just how you pay for things.

And what if you didn't have any social networks? My mom has none. She refuses to have any. But she does have email. Just no facebook or myspace or LinkedIn or Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 9:14 pm

Just don't shop in small towns. Everyone knows each other.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 9:15 pm

League_Girl wrote:
And what if you didn't have any social networks? My mom has none. She refuses to have any. But she does have email. Just no facebook or myspace or LinkedIn or Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest.

That even compounds the problem. It's even getting to where if you are not part of that, people think something is wrong with you.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 9:56 pm

I think social media networks like Facebook are far worse. I don't care if some store tracks my purchases, that isn't something that a future employer is going to be able to search and use against me unlike f*****g Facebook.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 10:06 pm

Noca wrote:
I think social media networks like Facebook are far worse. I don't care if some store tracks my purchases, that isn't something that a future employer is going to be able to search and use against me unlike f*****g Facebook.

I wouldn't be so sure about your buying habits not being for sale to anyone doing a background check. As I understand it, there is a huge amount of data being collected, for instance when you use a store's discount card, and much of that is for sale. It all depends on how thorough the background check is that your prospective employer wants to pay for. We already know that credit reports are being used for hiring decisions.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 10:33 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Noca wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure about your buying habits not being for sale to anyone doing a background check. As I understand it, there is a huge amount of data being collected, for instance when you use a store's discount card, and much of that is for sale. It all depends on how thorough the background check is that your prospective employer wants to pay for. We already know that credit reports are being used for hiring decisions.

Everything is geared towards targeting your buying habits and likes and wants. They are turning us/ourselves into the product. I did a search once to show my wife what type of BBQ grill I wanted to get. Every time I did some other search, I got a lot of grill ads peppered in. Searched for a local Papa John's and kept getting pizza ads as well. And, as for what type of search an employer may do, all information is available. There is no such a thing as privacy anymore.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 11:50 pm

zkydz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

That even compounds the problem. It's even getting to where if you are not part of that, people think something is wrong with you.

I know I read that somewhere. It really sucks. Social networks are becoming a necessity now than a luxury, same for internet.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 12:19 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Noca wrote:

Having worked on their data systems, I agree *completely*. If they can connect your name to a purchase or any other information that might indicate a market segment, they will do so, and then they will sell that information. It's just good business, you see...