Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 9:02 pm

They made a thin Santa wearing costly non-insulating clothes. :(
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/msnbc-quick-cuts/58231562/#58231562
How can he resit the cold without a hat, a coat and a big belly!? This is not a convincing Santa...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 9:30 pm

Santa doesn't have to be totally convincing, as long as he just just convincing enough to sell more products.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 2:43 pm

I dunno, to me he's less creepy than the classic mall santa, a guy who seeks out a job where he can have non-related children sit on his lap all day...

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 4:24 pm

Pffffffh.
Santa ruined St. Nicholas.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 6:45 pm

shlaifu wrote:
Pffffffh. Santa ruined St. Nicholas.

Indeed. From: http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/origin-of-santa/
"1821 brought some new elements with publication of the first lithographed book in America, the Children's Friend. This "Sante Claus" arrived from the North in a sleigh with a flying reindeer. The anonymous poem and illustrations proved pivotal in shifting imagery away from a saintly bishop. Sante Claus fit a didactic mode, rewarding good behavior and punishing bad, leaving a "long, black birchen rod . . . directs a Parent's hand to use when virtue's path his sons refuse." Gifts were safe toys, "pretty doll . . . peg-top, or a ball; no crackers, cannons, squibs, or rockets to blow their eyes up, or their pockets. No drums to stun their Mother's ear, nor swords to make their sisters fear; but pretty books to store their mind with knowledge of each various kind." The sleigh itself even sported a bookshelf for the "pretty books." The book also notably marked S. Claus' first appearance on Christmas Eve, rather than December 6th."

(Prior, St. Nicholas Day was Dec 6th; this appears to be the first time he was connected with Christmas Eve)

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 6:51 pm

I don't like the concept of Santa. I suppose it's good that Santa helps kids behave, but it also is a way to force kids to abide their parents' rules. My parents just used Santa to get me to do what they want.

I realized he wasn't real at a young age because he was in one mall from 12:00-1:30 and another mall from 12:30-2:45, he can't be in two places at once so there are two conclusions one could draw,

(a) There is no Santa, it is all a lie.
(b) There is more than one Santa.

(a) seemed the most logical.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 6:58 pm

What about...?

(c) Santa is real, and there's but one Santa, but he's busy at the North Pole and all those blokes in the malls are impostors. No wonder they don't have the proper clothes or belly :lol:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 7:25 pm

This "Santa" is basically Fabio with a beard.

His fans are not tots, but are all adult hetero ladies.

I would be okay with him if had a elf assistant who looked like Scarlett Johansen.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 8:04 pm

Did anyone else find it a wee bit creepy that he entered your house at night, and watched you - a child in no way related to him - sleeping in your own bed, in your own room, and basically stalked you all year round to see if your behavior fit his standards? That part used to bother me for some reason...

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 7:54 pm

So... In my country, there's still st. Nicholas, on the 6th of december.

He came to my 3-year old nephew's kindergarten, after having told them who he was the week before, to build up some excitement.
The whole story about a saintly bishop (although, maybe ditched the part of him being turkish) who lived a long time ago.

My nephew came home from kindergarten and gave my brother a stern look and asked:
"St. Nicholas is dead, right?"

My brother did not know how to answer straight away.
The little one continued:
"Because...He lived a long time ago, and the one in our kindergarten had a beard of cotton"

I'm so proud of the boy. He'll make a great atheist.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 7:59 pm

"Santa" is just an anagram for ...

(Could it be?)

... SATAN!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 8:46 pm

"I looked, and there before me was a reindeer drawn sleigh! Its rider was named Santa, and Satan was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to deliver gifts one night each year."

-Excerpt from Da Vichy Scrolls

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 10:14 pm

My daughter has outgrown Santa, but I can still get her to behave with threats of a visit by Krampus. :twisted:

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 10:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
My daughter has outgrown Santa, but I can still get her to behave with threats of a visit by Krampus. :twisted:

I'm a grown young adult that doesn't believe in anything and Krampus still creeps the hell out of me :pale:

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 12:24 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

Shouldn't that be Bel Snickel, according to PA Dutch and Palatinate lore?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 12:40 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Shouldn't that be Bel Snickel, according to PA Dutch and Palatinate lore?

I'd imagine Bel Snickel and Krampus probably had a very common origin. As my dad's people had come from the Kraichgau (today northwest Baden-Wurttemberg) right next door to the Palatinate - and speaking a similar Franconian dialect - my ancestors probably had believed in him, too.