Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

What's worse, white pride or white guilt/shame?
white pride 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
white guilt/shame 40%  40%  [ 23 ]
both 40%  40%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 57

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2016, 1:34 pm

I don't takes sides with either cause. But people DO FORGET that White people are a minority world wide. White skin is actually very rare! Its much more common to have yellow, red,brown, and black skin. White people are not most people in the global sense.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 1:54 pm

Not sure why I should feel guilty over things that had nothing to do with me. And if I have pride in my ancestry, it's pride over the cultures, not the white race in general. I don't feel any kinship with "white people" as a race.

Yes, white people are a minority on a global scale. Probably going to cease to exist as a separate race eventually.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 2:05 pm

This race thing is so pointless to me---we are all human.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 2:50 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I don't takes sides with either cause. But people DO FORGET that White people are a minority world wide. White skin is actually very rare! Its much more common to have yellow, red,brown, and black skin. White people are not most people in the global sense.

"White" people tend to have yellow or orange skin. What we call "black" people are usually brown. The common way of describing race is misleading. It has been said that this dichotomy was invented to instill a polarized us vs them mentality, like pieces on a chessboard. I think there is some truth to this.

Everything we have today that is precious (ethically, materially), is the legacy of humans who existed within nation states in which themselves or other humans committed atrocities. We are told that this is somehow unique to white European's and that this makes the precious things we have illegitimate. And, that we have no moral right to defend any aspect of that legacy. I think part of what we're seeing here is an arbitrary bundling of disparate "western" traits, so that those of them which may put limits on the agendas of certain pressure groups, are undermined by their forced association with the negative traits; with the colonial history and assumed corruption of white Europeanness.

To avoid being manipulated into self immolation, I think we should all take ownership of the good, wherever it came from originally; irrespective of whether it came from a tribe under whose rubric individuals did terrible things. We shouldn't be reluctant to give our own, and the others, forebears credit and criticism where it is due.

Last edited by Nebogipfel on 23 Jan 2016, 7:44 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 3:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This race thing is so pointless to me---we are all human.

No we are not. White and Neanderthal overlap.

The Europeans cultural superiority, Mesolithic, Neolithic, Bronze Age, Iron Age, flow from this Neanderthal bloodline.

Europeans still run 4% to 7% Neanderthal genetics. The Han Chinese seem to be our children.

Everyone else is a Homo Sapien Sapien.

We are a minority of mixed genetics that will never happen again.

Our evolutionary paths go in different directions.

Homo Sapien Sapien have never been that good at evolving. They seem hardwired, it took millions of years for them to make a small change in chipping rocks.

Homo Sapien Neanderthalis went from wearing clothes to a space program in 40,000 years.

In the last 150 years we went from human and animal labor being 90% directed at producing food, down to a few percent keeping GPS controlled machines feeding the world.

7.5 million jobs here will be replaced by robots by 2020. Robots that build robots and 3-D printing will soon make robots a household appliance. Computers have just started, I do not expect AI, but the application have just begun.

The next hundred years is going to see a human population crash, who do you think will survive?

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 4:30 pm

Neanderthal genes are in more than just white people and Chinese. They are not present in those of pure Sub-Saharan African ancestry, however.

Denisovan DNA is found in Australian aboriginals, Papua New Guineans, and other groups within the region.

Either way, the percentage is low. We may be different biologically, but are still human.

The Latin word homo means human or man anyway. We are all of the homo genus.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 7:26 pm

Yigeren wrote:
Neanderthal genes are in more than just white people and Chinese. They are not present in those of pure Sub-Saharan African ancestry, however.

Denisovan DNA is found in Australian aboriginals, Papua New Guineans, and other groups within the region.

Either way, the percentage is low. We may be different biologically, but are still human.

The Latin word homo means human or man anyway. We are all of the homo genus.

To be sure, the descendants of Sub-Saharan Africans in America and elsewhere who intermixed with whites certainly carry the Neanderthal genetic material.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 1:01 pm

What I find interesting about this is how the female interviewee characterizes Peter's arguments.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 1:39 pm

White pride could be okay if you're just proud of your ethnicity, but a lot of the time the term gets used as an euphemism for "racism". So I would be suspicious of any group that promotes "white pride".

Insisting that whites feel guilty for things that their ancestors did is racism in itself. It's not fair to judge people for what others in the same group did. That's the kind of mentality that leads to prejudice.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 5:37 am

I wonder what albinos and white Hispanics would think of this debate. They aren't (necessarily) Caucasian.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 1:36 pm

MDD123 wrote:
It just seems pointless to take pride in something when you didn't do it. The same way it's pointless to apologize for something you didn't do.

^this

DavidTheWitch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Dec 2016, 4:49 pm

How about the White Race doesn't exist. Kiddies the "White Race" is an invention of the European leaders to unite Europeans around a single banner. I suggest studying a collage course and not SJWs do not control collage. That is something people who have no education say to feel good about themselves.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 2:04 pm

DavidTheWitch wrote:
How about the White Race doesn't exist. Kiddies the "White Race" is an invention of the European leaders to unite Europeans around a single banner. I suggest studying a collage course and not SJWs do not control collage. That is something people who have no education say to feel good about themselves.

White generally refers to people of European decent, white isn't just one specific ethnicity though there are various European ethnicities, all of which could all be described with the umbrella term white. I don't really believe in the whole there is no such thing as race or ethnicity since there are some rather apparent features that vary between people of different ethnicities.

It doesn't 'matter', no ethnicity or race is superior or inferior....but I think it is a bit of a stretch to say it doesn't exist in any sense of the word. Not sure that is what you were getting at, but I had a college course where that was brought up and I kind of had to agree to disagree with that particular unit.

Seemed the end goal was to counteract racial tension or something but it seems even a lot of people in minority groups would be offended at the suggestion their unique ethnicity doesn't exist and that everyone is the same ethnicity/race.

Diabolikal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2016, 2:26 pm

Both I say, frankly I am sick of, in this era, being pigeonholed into "pride" or "shame" because I share an orange-pinkish-beige skin tone with idiots who believe it makes them and their "culture" superior to others. I mean, humans are all sacks of seawater, protoplasm and calcium under the skin colors. And I am me, semi-sentient, born into a world by sheer luck out of millions of other sperm that didn't make it, that somehow is even able to think from a synthesis of electrical impulses and chemistry. I could have been instead an ant, 30 million years ago, worrying about being eaten by a proto-anteater. Or a kind of alien rock on Proxima Centauri 5 billion years form now. Hell, I might not even have come into the universe, just staying in a void of nothingness never to see anything except darkness and feel nothing. Point is, I don't care, and forming identities on artificial groups and conflicts resulting from them is stupid.