Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 11:37 am

I don't see how the two are comparable. People have believed in God throughout history. Kids believing in Santa Claus is a relatively recent thing in human history.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 6:01 pm

Saint Nicholas is a real person though.

Not a magic flying fat man who rides around in a sleigh, but a Greek monk who gave alms to the poor. :)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 6:39 pm

I have to agree with Barchan on a particular.

The comparison between God and Santa Claus isn't a comparison between Santa Clause and any divinity at all, rather it's a comparison between Santa Clause and the Canaanite version of Zeus in a chastity belt.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 7:28 pm

I think, in a sense, belief in God and Santa Claus could be comparable.

I believe both provide "moral boundaries" for children (and adults).

Belief in Santa Claus, to a considerable extent, involves the child "being good" so he/she could get presents.

Belief in God restrains many adults who have human passions.

Note: I don't believe in either--but I'm not going to argue with someone who does; it's their right to believe.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 8:06 pm

Let's see ... we have two choices ...

1) A bearded, supernatural father-figure who watches us while we have sex, and divides us all into two categories - "Saved" and "Damned".

-OR-

2) A bearded, supernatural grandfather-figure who watches children while they sleep, and divides them into two categories - "Naughty" and "Nice".

The former gives us eternal life, while the latter gives us presents.

... decisions ... decisions ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 8:34 pm

No one goes to see God at the mall. No one leaves out cookies for God.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 8:39 pm

NewTime wrote:
No one goes to see Santa at church. No one drops money in a basket for Santa.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 9:02 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

The comparison between God and Santa Claus isn't a comparison between Santa Clause and any divinity at all, rather it's a comparison between Santa Clause and the Canaanite version of Zeus in a chastity belt.

How does one "agree" with another person when the other person failed to make any point?

Barchan was just being flip, by pointing out the irrelevent fact that the modern elf has the same name as the long dead monk. The modern meme has morphed so far away from the memory of the historic saint that they cant be considered to be the same thing. Its the modern jolly elf that the OP is talking about.

And BTW- when the Victorians first invented the modern Santa Clause he was thought of as being a bunny sized elf who could fit down chimneys ( with eight TINY reindeer). Only later did re evolve back into the less plausible human size again. The ancient middle eastern saint was not a bunny sized elf.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 9:27 pm

I think my eyes might have just done a number on that second sentence. I usually try not to let that happen, guess it's just been on of those days.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 9:32 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think my eyes might have just done a number on that second sentence. I usually try not to let that happen, guess it's just been on of those days.

Translation please?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 9:38 pm

I misread it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 9:45 pm

Well....at least you eat over the sink, rather than over the garbage :D

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 9:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

How does one "agree" with another person when the other person failed to make any point?

Barchan was just being flip, by pointing out the irrelevent fact that the modern elf has the same name as the long dead monk. The modern meme has morphed so far away from the memory of the historic saint that they cant be considered to be the same thing. Its the modern jolly elf that the OP is talking about.

And BTW- when the Victorians first invented the modern Santa Clause he was thought of as being a bunny sized elf who could fit down chimneys ( with eight TINY reindeer). Only later did re evolve back into the less plausible human size again. The ancient middle eastern saint was not a bunny sized elf.

Than Cocoa cola dressed him in a red and white suit.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 10:13 pm

They are similar in that they are both made up beings that we believe in to make us feel good, and we're wiser when we stop believing either.

That is the intent of that comparison

Poor motivation

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 10:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
Let's see ... we have two choices ...
1) A bearded, supernatural father-figure who watches us while we have sex, and divides us all into two categories - "Saved" and "Damned".
-OR-
2) A bearded, supernatural grandfather-figure who watches children while they sleep, and divides them into two categories - "Naughty" and "Nice".
The former gives us eternal life, while the latter gives us presents.
... decisions ... decisions ...

Fnord wrote:
NewTime wrote:
No one goes to see Santa at church. No one drops money in a basket for Santa.