Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2015, 9:09 pm

I've noticed a lot of aspies are gender fluid, but I haven't heard of many who are hyper-masculine, or hyper-feminine. The funny thing is, as I've gotten older I have aspired to be more masculine and it just became a gradual process. I don't mean hyper-masculine as in not crying, or being too proud to ask for directions, or such none sense. I mean hyper-masculine as in aspiring to build strength, physical and mental toughness. To build a strong assertive character. To be well grounded. Even most of my idols are very masculine. For example, one of my biggest idols is JFK. Although JFK was by no means a very physically strong guy, he had a very strong masculine character.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 1:55 am

I don't know about "hyper", but I consider myself quite masculine.

danum
Raven
Raven

15 Dec 2015, 8:43 am

I've been told I don't have a feminine side...not at all.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 12:00 pm

I don't think my husband would describe himself as "hyper-masculine" but I think he would fit into that broad category. Aside from his learned skill of listening when I talk and his strange liking of purple, I can't think of a single feminine or gender neutral thing about him. Perhaps he is the nerd version of hyper masculine.

aspiesavant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2019, 7:43 pm

Due to the decline of traditional culture, there is a misconception with respect to what qualifies as traditional masculine behavior.

There is no such thing as "THE traditional male". There are actually three archetypal forms of traditional masculinity : the warrior, the artist & the scientist. And each have their own characteristics.

The warrior archetype tends to be aggressive, because aggression is a positive trait for warriors.
Artists tend to be artistic, because artistic talent is a positive trait for artists.
Scientists tend to be intellectual, because intellectualism is a positive trait for scientists.

Try to educate a scientist archetype as a warrior, and he will feel out of place.
Try to educate a warrior archetype as a scientist, and he will feel out of place as well.
Both, however, are equally representative of traditional masculinity.
In fact, the traditional male ideal is a man who combines elements of all three archetypes : the "warrior-priest-poet". The "warrior-priest-poet" is a man who has the traits or a warrior, an artist and a scientist all bundled in one person, and who manages to balance them out perfectly.

The very notion that one cannot be a traditional male if one is not aggressive is nothing but a misandric distortion of what true masculinity is really about... and teaching this notion of masculinity can be harmful to men for all sorts of reasons.

Your typical male geek is just as masculine as your typical male football player. They just exhibit a different form of traditional masculinity. You'll find that many Aspies are sorta über-geeks. This means they ARE hyper-masculine. They just exhibit a different form of masculinity than what you find in warriors (or jocks).