Why does my Sims 2 game still keep terminating? Anybody???

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 3:44 pm

Since I updated my laptop to Windows 10, my Sims 2 keep crashing and terminating when I go to create a family. Assuming that was to do with the upgrade to Windows 10, I went out and brought a secondhand laptop what had Windows 7 as it's latest upgrade, so that my Sims 2 game (which I assumed is a pre-Windows 10 compatible game), won't keep terminating and will run properly. It costed me £140, and I spent a whole 2 hours or more installing all of my Sims 2 games and all the expansion packs to it on to the Windows 7 laptop, and each pack had no issues installing at all.

Then when I launched the game, it loaded up fine, but then as soon as I went to create a Sim, it done the exact same thing it done on Windows 10; crash then a message popping up saying ''application failed, program will now terminate'' or something like that.
I've had the same Sims 2 original and all expansion packs that ran fine on previous Windows I've had, and on previous computers. I disabled custom content, and tried to troubleshoot compatibility settings, but it didn't make any difference. And all of my Sims 2 discs are store-brought, not downloaded.

It just doesn't make sense. I thought that buying a laptop with a more previous-game-friendly Windows would just solve the problem, but to me it looks like the upgrade to Windows 10 wasn't what caused the Sims 2 to keep terminating after all. So now I've got to make my way back to the shop and hope I will get my money back.

And no, I am not switching to Sims 3 and 4, and even if I did, by the time I collect all their expansion packs, it will be time to move on again anyway and then THEY will become too ''old''.

I have every Sims 2 expansion pack.

Somebody help?

Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2015, 7:17 am

Anybody? I need to know how I can resolve this.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2015, 7:28 am

You could right click on it's shortcut and set compatibility mode to winxp, it may solve the issue.

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2015, 6:18 pm

It could be too little RAM, which would cause it to shut down.

There's a few different tricks I tried with Sims 3. I had "enough" RAM but at the bare my ninjas it tends to run well. A poor graphics card would do it too. My wife's computer, with a single GB more RAM is able to run SIMs much more smoothly.

I didn't have success with many of the tips - the best two were setting the settings to the absolute minimum and installing an FPS Limiter. Sims can go a bit wild with graphic demands. So I throttle mine at 25 frames per second (most people recommend 30).

I have t played Sims 2 I'm years, but it's possible that the same thing would work.

VeteranVicious
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2015, 7:20 pm

If everything is run through the steam client try validating the content files.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 6:14 am

I will try the changing compatibility settings to XP, not sure if it will make a difference or not.

I don't quite understand what the 2 above posters mean, I'm not very intelligent with computers.

But it looks like the Sims 2 is being so obstinate that there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it from crashing every time I create a family.

It's weird because playstation 1 games work on playstation 2, so I think older pc games should work on newer pc systems.

Magi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jan 2016, 7:04 pm

Games are formatted to windows so older games will not work on new windows.
The sims 2 and even the newer sims require high quality video cards that most computers do not come with that must be the right kind like GeForce or Radion.
The sims 2 requres 3.5 gigabytes of hard drive space which means you must have a significant amount more than that on your computer for it to run smoothly.
Your best bet would just be to save your money and buy the newest version of the sims.
Playing vintage games requires a vintage pc.