Page 5 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 9:32 pm

Raptor wrote:
A few days ago I bought some beer that was on sale and I'd never had it before.
Labatt Prohibition Series Bourbon Barrel Ale.

It's awful!!

At first impression it has a flavor of cheap beer quickly followed by an alarmingly sh***y chemically flavor that tastes like toilet bowl cleaner smells. It's actually much worse than that. It's supposed to have a bourbony flavor but nothing in it reminds me of bourbon in the least. I poured the whole six pack down the kitchen sink. Luckily I had better beer than that on hand that i could drink instead.

first place for most articulate, descriptive post.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 10:55 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
A few days ago I bought some beer that was on sale and I'd never had it before.
Labatt Prohibition Series Bourbon Barrel Ale.

It's awful!!

At first impression it has a flavor of cheap beer quickly followed by an alarmingly sh***y chemically flavor that tastes like toilet bowl cleaner smells. It's actually much worse than that. It's supposed to have a bourbony flavor but nothing in it reminds me of bourbon in the least. I poured the whole six pack down the kitchen sink. Luckily I had better beer than that on hand that i could drink instead.

That's macrobrew for you. Not that I'm entirely against macrobrews, but anytime they try to do something more complex than a lager or a light ale, they tend to screw it up. It still amazes me that Rickard's Red is as good as it is considering it's made by Molson. Most of the time it's a pretty good beer, not terribly complex, but it definitely has more body than a macrobrew lager. Unfortunately, I've encountered a few batches that have just tasted terrible.

Actually I like some microbrews but Labatt is not a microbrewery. This particular swill (actually, calling it swill is way too generous) is some kind of specialty brew along the lines of Sam Adams Winter Lager to name one example. SA Winter Lager is actually a decent brew that I like.

I've had Labatt Blue and it was at least drinkable and not too bad. This toxic waste they call Bourbon Barrel Ale is by far the worse beverage of any kind I have ever tried. The taste was absolutely hideous and has left an impression in my mind that will take a while to overwrite.

I guess it could possibly be some old s**t that has gone bad from being stored long term in some non-climatically controlled warehouse but I've tried other old beer that had gone bad but it was nothing like what I'm talking about here.

I thought about saving it for this summer to use as a lawn spray for bugs but I'm not that cruel even to bugs. It would probably kill my lawn and leave it totally barren for at least the next 1000 years, anyway.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 10:39 pm

Raptor wrote:
Actually I like some microbrews but Labatt is not a microbrewery..

That's why I said macrobrew. :P Labatt is actually a part of Anheuser-Busch.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 1:19 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

I read it wrong.
My bad.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 11:18 am

Raptor wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

I read it wrong.
My bad.

It's fine. Macrobrew is a less widely recognized term than microbrew, since it's usually only beer snobs who refer to the former.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 1:07 pm

I hate sweet potatoes,

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 1:22 am

Personally, I don't like to eat any type of fish. Just the smell of it can be enough to make me feel sick. I think that part of it came from my love for The Little Mermaid when I was younger and the fact that Ariel was part fish made it so that eating fish feels like I'm eating puppies. Strangely enough, though, I have eaten other types of seafood like lobster, shrimp, and fried clams with no problem. Additionally, though I do like soda, there are 2 types of soda that I do NOT like. The first type is any soda that is diet. To me, diet soda just tastes like it's flat. Caffeine free I don't have a problem with, but anything diet is a nope. The second type is soda that comes in a can. I prefer my soda in bottles (glass if at all possible) because then it doesn't have the metallic flavor of the can it was served in. I once had a can of Mountain Dew and the flavor was soo nasty that I spit it out and dumped out the rest of it. Only on rare occasions can I handle canned soda, but, if at all possible, I avoid it like the plague.

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2016, 2:47 am

I don't like anything with tomato based sauce - like spag bol - but I like tomato sauce on a pie or sausage roll.
I have a really bad reaction to anything Italian with fish - like marinara pasta or pizza
Not a fan of the cow - generally only eat beef if it minced
Don't like anything too crunchy
Don't like any overly sweet drinks - much prefer my drinks as bitter as possible - love lemon juice

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 9:25 am

Anything with raisins in it. I like raisins on their own, but raisin loaf is just bleugh.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 9:49 am

^I don't like raisins either. I'm extremely picky about what I eat; so much so that it would be easier to list my favourites instead! Pretty much everything gives me indigestion, so if I could just survive on fruit juice/smoothies and water, that would be fine with me!

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

traven
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 11:56 am

Soda's, chips, nuts, peanut butter, french fries or anything fried, candy.
I didn't like much foods as a child, like potatoes, gravy or meat, or hot milk.
Now I eat most things but can't stand the smell of artificial flavors
and on a more rational basis, nothing with gelatin nor diet products.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 12:15 pm

i wanted to eat some lettuce because it is a "leafy green", but i could not tolerate it plain, so i deep fried it to see whether it would make it more crisp and nibbly (salted and crispy if it turned out well), but it broke up into parsley sized flakes and was unrecoverable from the oil, and i achieved nothing but contaminating my new oil in the deep fryer.

so lettuce is useless to eat in it's native form, and impossible to improve by frying.