Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 2:47 pm

I think that we ought to make plans and set goals for our futures. If there's things you want to do or improve at then let's take steps get that done. :)
We live only a short time and each of us has a right to be here so let's not allow fear of change or other people's opinions to hold us back.

You don't have to write your goals here if you don't want to but if you want to achieve anything you must plan well.

Like new years resolutions except you follow them through :mrgreen:

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2015, 2:57 pm

Find a job I can do well, with working conditions that do not make me sick (again). Not working, does not work for me.

Qimera
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2015, 3:00 pm

Something else that might be good for this thread is the question:

When you picture yourself in your perfect setting, somewhere you'd like to spend the rest of your life, where is that? What does it look like? Why do you want it? Is there anyone else with you or are you alone?

Don't worry about the money or the seeming impossibility of it...just imagine it and describe it.

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2015, 3:12 pm

1. Get bridges on the top and bottom of my mouth to fill in missing teeth, followed by silver caps on the top two front ones.
2. Get a new pair of hearing aids.
3. Get well enough to get my stomach tumour taken out.
4. Get my dad's stuff out of my garage that I've been storing for him and get it shipped to California.
4. Do something with the 22' motorhome I've been storing in another state.

As for my "perfect" setting, I would like to retire in a place that has "tepid" weather, no 100F+ temps in summer and never snow or bitter cold in winters, with very little wind year around. I would also need easy access to a large metropolitan area and reside in a community of open-minded free thinkers where "hate crimes" are virtually nonexistent.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 3:15 pm

Rockymtchris wrote:
As for my "perfect" setting, I would like to retire in a place that has "tepid" weather, no 100F+ temps in summer and never snow or bitter cold in winters, with very little wind year around. I would also need easy access to a large metropolitan area and reside in a community of open-minded free thinkers where "hate crimes" are virtually nonexistent.

Sequim, Washington

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 3:16 pm

Varelse wrote:
Find a job I can do well, with working conditions that do not make me sick (again). Not working, does not work for me.
I don't really know your skills or anything, just wanted to mention that when younger, I used to enjoy working for a temp agency. I was offered full-time employment several times but I really just wanted to move on to the next assignment.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 3:21 pm

Learn to play my acoustic guitar, write poetry, and work on my drawing skills. Figure out what the bloody hell I want to actually do for a living and make that my college major.

Steps I will take to accomplish said goals:

1)Just do it
2)repeat step 1

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2015, 3:31 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Rockymtchris wrote:

Sequim, Washington

I had a friend from that town back in my college years. I did not know it never snows there. When I think of the Seattle area, my mind usually pictures videos of out-of-control cars sliding down steep icy hills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzBdW1OVcWw

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 3:40 pm

Sequim is in the "rain shadow" of the Olympic mountains; meaning, all the moist air coming in from the Pacific dumps snow on the mountains, and by the time the air gets to Sequim, it's clear and sunny. I won't say it never snows there, but it's a very mild climate. It also never gets very hot in the summer, being near the Straits of Juan de Fuca. You can grow artichokes there, if that means anything to you about climate.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 7:18 pm

How about Eureka, California? The all-time record high there, I believe, is 86 Fahrenheit. It never snows there (though it goes below 32 occasionally). It's in a very scenic setting.

Or perhaps even the San Diego area. There, it rarely gets into the 90s on the coast (though it gets hot inland). I've only seen it get below 40 once or twice.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 7:34 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Steps I will take to accomplish said goals:

1)Just do it
2)repeat step 1

Now that's what I call a master plan! :mrgreen:

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 8:55 pm

Quote:

Agreed. My health is recovering wonderfully, better than I would ever have thought only months ago, and that has been the thing keeping me unemployed and below the poverty line. I'd love to get back into the workforce too, and have enough money for road stuff I have needed for a long time.
Quote:
Learn to play my acoustic guitar

Yep
Quote:
When you picture yourself in your perfect setting, somewhere where you'd like to spend the rest of your life, where is that? What does it look like? Why do you want it? Is there anyone else with you or are you alone?

This would never be just one place for me. I'm nomadic - it would ideally be as many places as possible. If I can't move I start to get stressed and restless, feeling like I am stagnating and nothing is happening.
I hope to study next year, then move interstate mid year to compete the degree at their main campus. That will provide change, a new place, new people, and a course of study hopefully leading me to a better job.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 10:17 pm

Starfoxx wrote:
I think that we ought to make plans and set goals for our futures. If there's things you want to do or improve at then let's take steps get that done. :)
We live only a short time and each of us has a right to be here so let's not allow fear of change or other people's opinions to hold us back.

You don't have to write your goals here if you don't want to but if you want to achieve anything you must plan well.

Like new years resolutions except you follow them through :mrgreen:

Hi Starfoxx,
Hmmm... This board looks like a very good thing to have. Thanks for starting this!

My immediate goal(s) is the following:

1. Finish my Sega Genesis song for a contest in the next 2 days. Contest website:
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Battle/2768/BattleInfo/
2. Get my driver's license.
3. Respond to a German friend who wrote me a month ago. @~@

My long term goal is relatively simple. I can either:

a. Start a partnership business with my little brother doing windshield and headlight repair.

-or-

b. Find a more lucrative job such as in the aviation industry. (I have an airplane mechanics license)

The ideal place for me to spend the rest of my life? Well, I'm actually pretty content where I'm at. But I'd like to travel occasionally to other countries to visit friends there from time to time.

I don't really care about a new house or anything fancy schmancy. But having money to make necessary repairs and upkeep would be nice. And maybe a little change in flooring and decor.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2015, 12:51 am

Find the Millennium Falcon at a second hand car dealer and take my wife and daughter of this planet....

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2015, 1:05 am

It's weird, and kind of timely to see this thread right when I have the time and the will to try coming back here.

I just decided to shelf nearly every major goal I had. I basically gave up on them because they were so far from being attainable right now that it was making me miserable. They can be revisited in the future. In a way, my goal for 2016 is to not have goals and just see where life takes me.

There's some direction; I'm just focusing on something completely different. I'm trying to develop the tools I need to actually pursue and achieve goals that are very stressful and demanding to achieve and lead into goals that are even more stressful and demanding and have a high chance of failure.

I still don't know what these tools are, so I guess my goal is to find that out and to implement them. I expect this to be deeply unpleasant... and yet I'm looking forward to it, if that makes any sense. Or really, I'm looking forward to coming out the other side and throwing myself right into the next thing.

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2015, 5:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
How about Eureka, California? The all-time record high there, I believe, is 86 Fahrenheit. It never snows there (though it goes below 32 occasionally). It's in a very scenic setting.

Or perhaps even the San Diego area. There, it rarely gets into the 90s on the coast (though it gets hot inland). I've only seen it get below 40 once or twice.

I've never been farther up 101 than Santa Rosa, so I had no clue about Eureka's climate. I do love San Diego, however and would love to live on that beautiful island I visited out in the Pacific (Cornando?) that is mostly navel base. Due to the high cost of living though, I'd probally have to retire over the hill in a place like El Cajon which would be way cheaper (but hotter in summers). Same financial considerations would apply to the S.F. bay area which I would probally relocate to if I won the lottery or something but was unable to immigrate to the UK.