Mario Maker big patch on Monday - loads of new stuff cometh

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2015, 5:14 pm

On this coming Monday evening (12/21) in NA and Tuesday (12/22) in the EU a massive Super Mario Maker patch cometh to all.

This patch contains...

The SMM Web Portal:
-Super Mario Maker Bookmark, the online service that allows for searching and tagging of levels
-The courses added on Bookmark will go to a special tab in Course World.
-The update will also show the first person to clear a course, as well as the fastest clear.

The New content:

-bumpers
-the Fire Koopa Clown Car which can also fire charged shots
-warp doors only accessible with an active P-Switch in the manner of Super Mario World's Ghost Houses.
-A new course was recently added to the Event Courses that rewards the Felynes of Monster Hunter fame upon completion.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 12:18 am

....bumpers? Did those ever appear in any previous game? I keep thinking they look familiar but that might just be because they're vaguely reminding me of the donut blocks.

And is it just me or did they change the way the P-Switch looks in the NSMB style? I coulda sworn that thing was yellow.

And here they'd said they werent going to add anything new originally, hah.

I wish they'd do like an actual scoreboard or whatever for different levels, make those points count for something. Maybe in a future update.

Well, now I'll have to figure out just what devious uses I can put these things to. My most recent couple of levels werent too hard (in theory), I'm due to make a nasty one here soon I think.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 6:48 pm

Misery wrote:
....bumpers? Did those ever appear in any previous game? I keep thinking they look familiar but that might just be because they're vaguely reminding me of the donut blocks.

And is it just me or did they change the way the P-Switch looks in the NSMB style? I coulda sworn that thing was yellow.

And here they'd said they werent going to add anything new originally, hah.

I wish they'd do like an actual scoreboard or whatever for different levels, make those points count for something. Maybe in a future update.

Well, now I'll have to figure out just what devious uses I can put these things to. My most recent couple of levels werent too hard (in theory), I'm due to make a nasty one here soon I think.

No they didn't change the P-switch, it's always been blue in every game.

The ? switch was yellow in NSMB series.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 4:56 am

Okay, so the new update is out... it's great!

A couple of things I have learned:

The flaming Clown Car gains the ability to shoot a triple shot if Mario has the fire flower. This also means triple charged shots, which in the original game translates to being able to shoot triple Bowser flames. This is hilarious. Some really interesting potential for this thing.

The bumper ring, a key difference is that unlike trampolines or note blocks, enemies and items simply pass right through it. That could have creative uses too.

And those P-switch doors... those could be fun too. What they also need: P-switch blocks. You know, the sorts that are normally empty space but appear as bricks or solid blocks when a P-switch is active.

Gotta say, the DLC so far has been pretty great. It's interesting that each individual piece is so small, but adds a ton of potential to the game. Already seen some very creative uses of these things in newly-made levels and I have a couple of ideas of my own.

Hopefully upcoming event levels will also showcase these new things.

So much more potential for more new things too. Different versions of the Hammer Bros, that needs to happen.

Also: Chargin' Chuck. I dont care if it's as silly as shaking a damn fish to make him show up, just put him in the game! That guy is hilarious!

And speaking of the Hammer Bros, using Yoshi to hit them with their own hammers is... very satisfying. A bit of revenge after all these years of being tormented by their rapid-fire attacks in the original game.

And finally, something that wasnt pointed out in one of these recent patches, for levels that have no blocks above the center line (and thus dont scroll upwards) you can now run across the top of blocks on the ceiling (if you can get up there), like in the very first game. Couldnt do that before, you'd hit some sort of wall above any ceiling block. So if you wanted to do that sort of thing like in the first game, you had to place something above that line, which also caused the screen to scroll, making it super obvious that a hidden path was there.

Huh, I wonder if this works on the top of the second height layer as well? EXPERIMENTS ARE NEEDED.