Concentration and restlessness... Burning feeling under skin

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2015, 5:42 pm

I'm diagnosed with ASD and have concentration problems and find it really difficult to stay still. When I stay still for very long it creates an itching feeling that builds up to a burning feeling under my skin. It hurts and I'm just not sure I can live the rest of my life with it.

It's occurred to me that I have lots of the symptoms of ADHD but they were all attributed to executive function and sensory difficulties from ASD.

Unfortunately, the funding has recently been cut for the sensory processing help I was advised to seek.

Is the burning feeling just hypersensitive vestibular/proprioception? It sounds a bit like restless leg syndrome, except with my whole body (not unheard of)... But it doesn't go away easily when I move once it's built up (it's hard to get enough stimulation without SIB).

Any tips? Any chance of persuading my GP to let me try ADHS medication? Or really anything that would help at this point.

I know the NICE guidelines say not to medicate core ASD symptoms. Are these problems core?

I already take 100mg/day Quetiapine and I know that it could potentially be increased. (I also have extensions on my coursework, extra time and rest breaks for my exams. I've got a chew which helps some, a neck weight and weighted jacket which help in general but not when I have to sit down and write. I also have a wobble cushion. I've tried writing while laying on my front which also helps a bit.)

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2015, 8:25 pm

Does nobody feel this burning feeling?

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Dec 2015, 2:17 am

If your GP doesn't want to try you on stimulants he/she may be willing to let you try Strattera which is a nonstimulant med for ADHD.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition