Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 7:11 pm

Good for him.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 7:13 pm

In reference to "understanding," no one can totally understand anybody. All we can do is make the effort.

Corliame
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2015, 7:31 pm

I wouldn't say being an Aspie is the worst thing in the world, historically we're game changers, we have an awareness far beyond the majority and can separate logic from emotion

Once you master the bad parts, we can be freer than most ever achieve

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 7:49 pm

I've always thought that those who are less severe understand more about those who are more severe than nts and can sort of bridge the gap in a way. If you get what I mean by that. Something like that anyway.

On the empathy thing, is it not more that we can't always identify it rather than not feel it at all.

I do love the Big Bang theory. Sheldon is quite annoying though. Sheldon is pretty much the stereotypical aspie personified.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 9:43 pm

sharkattack wrote:
I must question what you think an aspie is?

A topic for a whole new thread

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 9:44 pm

I thought big bang theory was a kid's show.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2015, 10:14 pm

I've always liked Sheldon Cooper - to see him get his just deserts, that is. I've loved to see others insult him and defeat him.

Ya know, you can have Aspergers and be a gentle soul, and you can have it and be a prick. Sheldon Cooper developed an aura of superiority as a defense against his lack of connectedness. Even his own mother doesn't like him, and that's really saying something.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 4:13 am

Quote:
It's bleedingly obvious most Aspies will never understand what people with more "severe" forms of autism go through.

"Us" means Aspies it excludes those who are on one particular side of the autism spectrum. "Us" is a construct designed for social convenience that does not reflect any universal reality. WP members who are are Aspies don't fully know what half the autistic community go through in a normal day.

For my ASD diagnosed daughter it means nothing. For many people with ASD "us" means an army of one.

I hope I am misinterpreting you here, as it has just been pointed out to me in another thread on this topic that misunderstanding on this issue is easy, but this comment seems to reflect a common attitude that I disagree with strongly. The "not [insert minority group here] enough" argument - used to invalidate people based on the fact that there are others who are "more" or "real" in whatever minority than they are. The fact that you included "diagnosed" instead of just "ASD" supports this impression.
Yes the experiences of those considered "aspies" and those more toward the severe end of the spectrum may differ. It doesn't make anyone's experience of autism more valid than another's. Those on the more severe end may never understand what someone interpreted as "aspie" goes through in a day, either. It still makes neither experience of autism more genuine than the other. The term "aspie" is often not exclusionary at all, but used as slang and encompasses everyone on the spectrum, whatever level of functioning they generally operate at. The exclusionary nature of this term is subjective and varied. I doubt autistics are generally guilty of a group mentality as you're describing, and yes, to be autistic is often to feel like "an army of one" whether you're at one end of the spectrum or the other.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 8:36 am

Well said, C2V.

donaar
Raven
Raven

20 Dec 2015, 11:19 am

C2V wrote:
Quote:
It's bleedingly obvious most Aspies will never understand what people with more "severe" forms of autism go through.

"Us" means Aspies it excludes those who are on one particular side of the autism spectrum. "Us" is a construct designed for social convenience that does not reflect any universal reality. WP members who are are Aspies don't fully know what half the autistic community go through in a normal day.

For my ASD diagnosed daughter it means nothing. For many people with ASD "us" means an army of one.

I hope I am misinterpreting you here, as it has just been pointed out to me in another thread on this topic that misunderstanding on this issue is easy, but this comment seems to reflect a common attitude that I disagree with strongly. The "not [insert minority group here] enough" argument - used to invalidate people based on the fact that there are others who are "more" or "real" in whatever minority than they are. The fact that you included "diagnosed" instead of just "ASD" supports this impression.
Yes the experiences of those considered "aspies" and those more toward the severe end of the spectrum may differ. It doesn't make anyone's experience of autism more valid than another's. Those on the more severe end may never understand what someone interpreted as "aspie" goes through in a day, either. It still makes neither experience of autism more genuine than the other. The term "aspie" is often not exclusionary at all, but used as slang and encompasses everyone on the spectrum, whatever level of functioning they generally operate at. The exclusionary nature of this term is subjective and varied. I doubt autistics are generally guilty of a group mentality as you're describing, and yes, to be autistic is often to feel like "an army of one" whether you're at one end of the spectrum or the other.

Could not have put it better my self

Aq: 37