Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 5:47 pm

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 7:46 pm

All systems can be hacked.

The main people who have been spying on us were the British and the French.

Mostly it is economic warfare, commercial information.

China downloaded the entire F-35 file, and built one before we did.

Everybody uses Taiwan, America had some backdoor added to system boards, then someone bragged about it. Soon everyone was using it.

Russia has put typewriters back in production. Nothing computer is safe.

Our grid is not unsafe because of hackers, it is unsafe because it was built before WWII.

I met a guy who draws out piping for refineries. He has been at it since before computers. The companies did not keep a master record, so now he has they only documentation of the plant.

People who knew that stuff retired, or were fired for cost cutting. Mega Corp bought the Plant. He owns them.

This was built piecemeal, upgraded without documentation, over seventy years.

Then they put in computers and fired everyone who knew anything.

Iran is Evil, taxpayers have to pay for us to rebuild everything, and keep it a secret.

Only if we do the sensible thing and Nationalize the Grid.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 7:50 pm

Hacker Investigation: Non-hackers vulnerable to sensationalist paranoia.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 7:57 pm

Inventor wrote:
All systems can be hacked.

I met a guy who draws out piping for refineries. He has been at it since before computers. The companies did not keep a master record, so now he has they only documentation of the plant.
People who knew that stuff retired, or were fired for cost cutting. Mega Corp bought the Plant. He owns them.

This was built piecemeal, upgraded without documentation, over seventy years.

Then they put in computers and fired everyone who knew anything.

Iran is Evil, taxpayers have to pay for us to rebuild everything, and keep it a secret.

Only if we do the sensible thing and Nationalize the Grid.

SCADA is necessary for obvious reason - so guys like that don't choke on fumes in refineries and their knowledge is still available to keep people safe. Planned obsolescence wrecks the planet while that guy's munching fois gras!

This is gonna be feather ruffling: It's not so damn difficult to reverse engineer a bunch of cracking towers. Not much more than understanding hydrocarbon chains & the Bernoulli principle. That guy deliberately left everything on rotting blueprints made of non-renewable paper to save his a$$ and sell the air he breathes back to his clients at inflated rates.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 8:04 pm

Call Iran what you will, their history of tactical brilliance spans millenia. They're the size of one of our states and their exports exceed those of almost any five states here. They don't saber-rattle. They warehouse their nukes more far more cautiously than the U.S. Their air force is Groom Lake caliber or better.

In IAEA terms they're a less-prickly D.P.R.K., albeit two decades ahead and without the capacity to party. :jester:

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 2:38 am

Not only to foreign hacks but an EMP attack. You can fit a small kiloton warhead on a missile with a ship off the coast of the United States. Fire the missile and at the proper altitude can knock out the US power grid.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 4:10 am

...Which would make sense to what group of military-industrial investors exactly? Hate to break it to you but they're a tight bunch.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 6:22 am

South Korean sources revealed that North Korea may be developing a vertical missile launch tube for submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBM). Confirming these claims, recent satellite images identified a new test stand at North Korea’s Sinpo South Shipyard that could be used to develop vertical missile launch platforms for submarines. In late November, accounts raised the possibility that an ejection launcher test may have already occurred.