Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2015, 11:55 pm

Carol Stream girl with autism meets her hockey idols: the refs

Hardware store acceptance of 5 year old into keys

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2015, 3:14 am

Thank you for sharing those two stories, they were lovely to read :) So nice with some feel-good news for a change.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2015, 3:43 am

Nice stories that warmed me up this time of year after a not-so-good day.
I can certainly see how the monochromatic sports officiating jerseys can catch one's interest. My friend Sean (who I've always quietly suspected of being on the spectrum) often wears collared shirts with high-contrasting vertical striping and I often tease him about becoming a referee, which he finds complementary. I can picture that Nicole someday landing an administrative position with the NHL organisation based on her attraction to game rules.
The video about the Michigan key collector makes me want to shop at ACE hardware more. The boy has to be very artistic to assemble keys into a snowflake pattern like that. I'm sure he's destined to become either a locksmith or sculptor or perhaps both.
When I was that boy's age I used to obsess with becoming old enough to drive a car. I'm sure my mother got tired of me constantly "driving" the issue over a few years, so she got me interested in collecting licence plates. Like the boy adding to his key collection, when others found out I was saving licence plates, they would offer me their old ones. By the time I was legal age to get my driving permit, I had my own metal storage shed in the yard with probally a couple of thousand plates inside from places as far away as the UK (long black and yellow style) and Germany. About a year later when I was finally able to drive on my own, I lost interest in the licence plates and began trading them off for a newer obsession--record albums!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2015, 9:40 pm

Thank you for sharing the good news with us. We need more positive stories about autism. :)