Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:49 pm

Are you slow? Not meaning mentally, but physically?

I've been compared to a snail and a turtle. I can never run or jog far... it hurts my knees and I quickly get out of breath. And I just don't have the gait for it. (I've noticed my bones are different than NT's... my thighs are much shorter, among other things.)

But more than that, I've always been slow. I'm never in a hurry, and never can get in a hurry. As people often remark, "You only have one speed..." Sometimes people say that watching me is like watching someone in slow motion.

Anyone else like that? Is it an Aspie thing... or is it just me?

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 3:18 pm

I don't have anything like dyspraxia or poor motor function. But I've been a slow person. I mean for normal things like walking or talking, I'm fine. But when I was young and in shape (very thin, tone) I was slow as hell. I was on the track team in 9th grade and ran the 880mm, I was last every time. It became a matter of racing against my own time! Yes! I'd get cheered for beating my own records!
Outside of athletics, I'm slow to respond to things. My dad would say, "If the house were on fire, you'd burn to death!". He was usually very angry when he said this.

14 Apr 2007, 3:31 pm

I used to be a fast runner until I hit puberty and now I'm the slowest runner. I can't even jump very high either. I never tried hurdles because I was afraid of hurting myself.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 3:39 pm

I walk fast because I always worry I'm going to be late

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 3:43 pm

Well, I was once telling a story to this guy:

And he told me to talk faster. :cry:

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 3:56 pm

It's interesting that you mention that.

I'm the opposite, I walk really quickly and can run fairly fast - even though I don't 'practise' running - I think it's a genetic thing because my Dad used to be really good at athletics.

I also am told that I speak quite fast (although when people get derogatory and say I speak TOO quickly, I just tell them that they listen too slowly!)

I also type quickly and when I was learning to play musical instruments, I always favoured fast tempi because I like the feeling of having to move my fingers and control my embouchure to move quickly - it gave me a 'buzz'.

I'm always rushing around - but not because I'm deliberately in a rush - that is just my natural form of movement.

I find it difficult when I'm in crowds and people are walking slowly, or when I'm stuck behind someone who walks slowly or walking with someone who walks slowly. Not because I'm mean or impatient or anything - it is almost like I feel a type of pain - I just want to get where I'm going, and do what I need to do. I want to get things 'over and done with'. Making me walk or speak or do anything more slowly than my optimim speed is like prolonging the pain and I really hate it when people try to make me do this and I don't understand why they want me to do something that causes me anxiety and pain.

I can see that it might inconvenience them a bit, but I'm actually in PAIN which is more than just an inconvenience for me - but people don't care.

Maybe we should all accept that there isn't a magical 'right' way to move - we all do the best we can and if people can't be nice or accommodating then at the very least they should leave us alone to get on with it and keep their negative comments to themselves.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 5:20 pm

I talk slow and in a monotone. And my voice is nasaly. But I am slow to react to things like moving my hands to catch things. I can make myself go faster but I will feel uncomfortable and be very clumsy and drop stuff-very emmbaresing!

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 5:21 pm

I always knock things over and bump into things, maybe if I was slower I wouldn't do that as much... :?

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Apr 2007, 5:30 pm

I come with two speeds slow and slower. :lol: :lol:

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 6:03 pm

I was quick as a kid and slowed down into purberty. I dodder like an old man now.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 6:03 pm

It depends on my mood. If I'm happy or not tired or angry, I tend to walk really fast. But when I'm sad or feel tired I totally slump over and walk really slowly. Somewhat pathetic. :?

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 6:06 pm

I'm the opposite - I do everything quickly. When I do the dishes or other onerous tasks I try to see how efficient I can be to get things over with as quickly as possible. I can clean the whole kitchen in less than 10, takes MS at least 30 minutes.

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 6:57 pm

If I'm thinking about something I can be awfully slow - I think I may have even stopped moving when I have thought too deeply (maybe its time stopped though, so less time went by than appeared).

sunnycat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 7:01 pm

I'm a slow runner, but I can run for a long time...slow and steady...:)

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 7:07 pm

I can run very fast for up to 2/3 of a mile, and then I slow to a snail's pace.

scott
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Apr 2007, 7:11 pm

I can run fast for short period of times but I have low Endurance so after that I quickly run slower.