Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2015, 9:56 pm

So I have been fascinated with sketching lately, reading about it more than actually doing it but I suppose me talking about it paid off and I got a sketching kit for Christmas. I admit I was wanting to dabble in the hobby to see if I like it but perhaps I talked a bit to much about it; not that its a bad gift but I don't know if I am any good at sketching because I have never drawn anything before. So against my better judgement I figured I would draw something and post it and see what you guys think,

I don't know, is this horrible or should I keep practicing and make this a hobby?

Jozie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Dec 2015, 9:01 pm

If you enjoy doing it you should keep it up. I find drawing meditative, its one of the few activities where I can 'get in the zone' and tune out of everything else. If you keep doing it you will improve. I recommend that very well-known book 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' it has some good exercises that help you to look at your subject differently because drawing is more in the eyes than the hands.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 9:12 pm

Agreed, if you enjoy it keep doing it. You'll improve with practice.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 7:26 am

Oh cool, I forgot I made this thread.

I'll look for Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, sounds fun. I am going to keep at it, might not be very good now but I feel I can improve.

Sjero
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jan 2016, 1:36 am

Yo. You have potential. I see you're considering how the roof of the house is constructed in three dimensions. You can learn a lot of tricks and tips in an art class, on youtube, in books on drawing, etc. I think you would really enjoy looking at the three types of perspective: one point perspective, two point perspective, and atmospheric perspective.

Much of drawing is learning about what to emphasize and what to obscure. You can also study and practice composition, yes indeed, this is the true key to making an interesting picture. You can have all your elements and principles mastered but if you're showing something boring, your picture is going to be boring. :P

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 5:54 pm

I think for your first sketch, you're off to a good start! :D

What has helped me in the past was to analyze other artist's sketches/paintings and to figure out what makes them look realistic. I think the book that was suggested above sounds fantastic (I may want to check it out myself as well).

czarsmom
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2016, 8:58 pm

Keep practicing and make it a hobby. I find drawing and painting very fulfilling and enjoyable. The more you do it the better you get. I like your sense of detail.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 7:47 pm

Hey. Tip from a pro (I really am. I draw for a living).
Do quick line-drawings. Lots of them. Look at the object (flower, house, person), much more than the paper, and draw fast and loose.
Don't be precious about one drawing, just make 20 very quick ones of the same thing.

It's an exercise in hand-eye coordination, and at first, it's weird, doing a drawing in 20 seconds, and then just going on to the next but it really is a good, albeit paper-wasting, practice.