Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Crosser
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2007, 10:17 pm

I just now noticed that I had no idea what my muse was till this moment. You see, I'm a pretty good writer. I'd be the first to say that, and definantly not the last. But recently I have been feeling a dry spell of creativity. I tried to find a new muse since I had no idea what my lost one was but they didn't fill the metaphysical hole that I'm speaking of. I tried reading my favorite books, new books by similar authors, watching movies that I had never seen before, going on walks, but nothing inspired me. But just this moment I learned something. Inspiration is basically like a car in a way. You begin with the basic structure that shows what you're used to. What you enjoy putting your inspiration towards. This can be for routine, writing, speaking, drawing, or anything in between. Then there's the things that this car move. The fuel if you will. These things can be anything at all, anything that sparks an idea. But even so, you still need one last thing. Like any car, it doesn't matter how you fix it up, it doesn't matter how good the fuel is, if there is no key it will not move.

You see, I was fueling a car that had no key so to speak. I just realised my muse is the ending theme for the anime Case Closed! You know that little diddy, 'It's just my imagination the sort of empty concentration while I fiddle with my fingers and take a sip of luke warm Tea. Let's walk gently to the infectious rhythem of the cool basanova and myriad puzzle pieces are here for me.' When I heard these words again after watching an episode on the internet, I realised I've been taking everything to fast. While I used to constantly listen to it it replayed and engraved in my brain. I realised that I had to take it slowly, don't consider the future to my stories, only get a rough idea and fill in the blanks as I go.

But anyway, what do you people use for muses, just think about it if you don't know. What do you use for your fuel, what do you use for your key, and what do you focus it all on?

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 10:27 pm

Muse? What's that?

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 9:59 am

If I play Interpol, Susanne Vega, and XTC, I find that I have the concentration to actually focus on my story.

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

15 Apr 2007, 8:42 pm

my muse right now is music, i have great taste in it! :D

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 9:54 pm

RedMage,

a spirit that brings gifts to artists, origionally a Deamon to the Greeks, an intermediate spirit between gods and men, later split into I think seven, Wilki knows all.

Crosser, I write, and I start with the key, some idea of what, and write outward from there. After a few pages it gains it's own energy. Stories tell themselves to me.

I may have jumped into Chapter Three, but the rest falls into place. I know the deamon thing, ten hours a day for days on end, me fingers on a keyboard, fully engaged, with no idea where the next line is coming from.

I have tried the outline and that was all me, hard to produce, and only what I knew. I might write a repair manual. But when I am only keybording, great stuff flows. A bad start is going no where, how could I write a beggining or end when the story is somewhere between? Once I have a ball of story, it is easy enough to attach ends.

Sometimes I just start writting a description, a hillside, rain falling, and it is a spirit call that bring more images. I am a visual, I see one thing, start tapping away, and stories grow from there. Below the hillside is a trail, people I did not think up come along, following them leads me to a story.

I do not think it my imagination. I come up with things that I have no background for. It is the point of view of another. Hundreds of pages go by. When I later read it, clean up the keystrokes, it is a whole.

Where I try to embelish a story I mess it up, I do best just enjoying the story as it comes out. Sometimes I am typing twice as fast as I can type. Willing hands and an open mind.

Before WP I was the only one, and was open to new friends. I would think I was nuts but many others report the same, and nuts are not good writers.

It is a letting go that brings it forth. Self reduced to hands on a keyboard. I have no idea how this works.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 10:47 pm

I used to have a muse. One day I accidentlly stepped on it's tail and it never came back.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Apr 2007, 12:59 am

everyone. pennywise is a great muse to get into! :D