Need to choose a career I can be obsessed with

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 2:06 pm

Earlier this year I stopped attending college classes again, because I honestly didn't know what I was taking them for.

"What do you want to do when you finish college, AJ?"

"I don't even know anymore."

It's important, though. Within the past few weeks I've realized the only way I really end up pleased with my life is if I'm in a job I can commit to 100% and which consumes my time and my thoughts. I'm not going to go into too much detail about how I came to this conclusion; I had to think a lot about what I've learned of myself over the years. I would like to thank zkydz for inspiring me to really kick this thinking into high gear, though.

Kind of at a loss as to how I figure out what this possible career would be. There are of course tests for these things; they usually come up with stuff that sounds uninteresting at best. A lot of them suggest engineering fields, which sounds about as uninteresting as something could possibly be. :roll: I don't think these vocational tests are well-designed for someone autistic. Most also seem to give little to no weight to a person's values; it's heavily biased towards skill and personality.

You want an example of what I mean by "values"? I'd love to get into journalism (which has never been suggested to me). Nearly all media in the US is controlled by only five companies. I find them all morally repugnant :evil: and wouldn't work for any of them. Pretty much kills that option!

So... anyone know some good resources to figure this stuff out? Counseling services, books, websites, etc.? Anything that specializes in people with autism (not a requirement, those people can be full of crap too)? Or maybe just make it more personal and tell me what you've figured out yourself. I just need some direction here.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 4:45 pm

Did anything you researched give you a feeling of you really want to do that?
If so, you should just go in that direction and not plan or think too much in the beginning, so your mind can have a chance to get into it, and once you are into it, then you can plan and think about what you will do with it long-term, while doing it.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 5:31 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Did anything you researched give you a feeling of you really want to do that?
If so, you should just go in that direction and not plan or think too much in the beginning, so your mind can have a chance to get into it, and once you are into it, then you can plan and think about what you will do with it long-term, while doing it.

What, journalism? It's something I'd looked at before and that checks a lot of boxes; it's demanding, requires excellent writing and research skills, it's people-oriented and politically conscious, and it also has a bit of an artistic element. I've effectively written it off though for the reason I mentioned in my original post. I'd have to do more research to determine if there's any way at all for me to make it work without throwing everything I believe in out the window.

That said, I like your attitude towards these things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 5:56 pm

Sometimes, the best way to get rid of repugnant practices is to work with companies with repugnant practices so you could use their methods against them.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 6:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sometimes, the best way to get rid of repugnant practices is to work with companies with repugnant practices so you could use their methods against them.

That's fair, but I'm not sure I want to put myself in that position. Especially since I find the very existence of such media giants to be objectionable. I don't really want to get too far into it, since it's kind of a tangent here. Right now I'm more interested in exploring other possible career paths than looking at one that's a longshot at best.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 6:38 pm

How would you feel about legal research--about being a paralegal?

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 7:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How would you feel about legal research--about being a paralegal?

It would really depend on who I'm doing it for. I'm hugely into "standing up for the little guy" and anything that lets me help in that regard is at least on my radar. That's really not where the money is in any legal career, but I've never especially cared about that.

The comment on engineering fields in my original posts is worth examining. I think the reason I get suggestions for engineering and technical fields is because I am inclined to examine systems and solve problems. What a lot of those things and more than a few career counselors have completely failed to grasp is that I don't have much interest in solving technical problems. I have interest in solving societal problems.

supercrayon
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2016, 6:22 pm

If you like systems and solving problems, consider logistics. I'm a logistician and purchaser. I used to work for a skin care product manufacturer but now work for a wireless device manufacturer.

It pleases me because all kinds of industries need people like me so my job is pretty secure if the economy shifts.

Also, I don't have a degree. I like that part. I dropped out of music school (what was I THINKING). But I think if you wanted a formal education to help in that field you would do a business degree.

My favourite part is that it's all logic, problem solving, things fit into categories and rules are rules (i.e. importing and exporting). There's no B.S.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:36 pm

supercrayon wrote:
If you like systems and solving problems, consider logistics. I'm a logistician and purchaser. I used to work for a skin care product manufacturer but now work for a wireless device manufacturer.

It pleases me because all kinds of industries need people like me so my job is pretty secure if the economy shifts.

Also, I don't have a degree. I like that part. I dropped out of music school (what was I THINKING). But I think if you wanted a formal education to help in that field you would do a business degree.

My favourite part is that it's all logic, problem solving, things fit into categories and rules are rules (i.e. importing and exporting). There's no B.S.

What if I like BS, though? :P

In all seriousness (not that there isn't a touch of truth in the previous comment) thank you for your suggestion. I don't know that it would work for me because it kind of conflicts with my values and interests and sounds much too logical and systems-oriented. I am people-oriented, in all honesty. Something that lets me approach that in a way that plays to my strengths is probably what I'm after.

How'd you get into that, though? Was it a conscious decision to pursue it or did you stumble upon it?

supercrayon
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2016, 7:11 pm

If you like BS get into sales :p

So my role means that I carry quite a bit of responsibility and all departments at work depend on me. So I work closely with all of my coworkers, I am definitely not my own island! Most of my interactions with people outside of my company are in writing but every once in a while I have to get on the phone to talk to brokers/customs/vendors etc. There's a bit of schmoozing but essentially purchasing is the antithesis to sales.

I got into it because I was working admin and I started adopting more responsibility until I had enough experience to throw on a resume and seriously apply in that field. It's a goofy field that very few consider because no one knows what logistics actually are!

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 7:18 pm

supercrayon wrote:
If you like BS get into sales :p

So my role means that I carry quite a bit of responsibility and all departments at work depend on me. So I work closely with all of my coworkers, I am definitely not my own island! Most of my interactions with people outside of my company are in writing but every once in a while I have to get on the phone to talk to brokers/customs/vendors etc. There's a bit of schmoozing but essentially purchasing is the antithesis to sales.

I got into it because I was working admin and I started adopting more responsibility until I had enough experience to throw on a resume and seriously apply in that field. It's a goofy field that very few consider because no one knows what logistics actually are!

I'd prefer politics. :wink:

All far too commercial for me. Seems like it's just about money; most of my values and interests push me away very hard from anything that's for-profit. Academic institutions, non-profits/NGOs (especially those) or the public sector are where I'd be more interested in working.

Anyway, I ask how you got into it because I'm trying to figure out a career path and don't know where to even start right now. A lot of jobs lead into other jobs, but I can't find anything yet where the entry point or end point appeals. That would at least let me feel like I'm not adrift, here.

supercrayon
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2016, 8:13 pm

What about human resources then? If you are a people person and want a job that applies to non-profits/academic institutions/public sector, where your job really had nothing to do with commerce, that might be right up your alley!

Therapy, counseling, social work might also appeal to you if you are into problem solving.

I'm just thinking about office jobs here. I'm not even delving into trades or other more hands-on careers.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 8:34 pm

supercrayon wrote:
What about human resources then? If you are a people person and want a job that applies to non-profits/academic institutions/public sector, where your job really had nothing to do with commerce, that might be right up your alley!

Therapy, counseling, social work might also appeal to you if you are into problem solving.

I'm just thinking about office jobs here. I'm not even delving into trades or other more hands-on careers.

More of a "people person who doesn't have great people skills". The problem there is pretty clear. :lol:

Yes, stuff along the lines of counseling and social work are more in tune with what I'm looking for. I actually love problem solving, but they have to "the right problems". HR is perhaps too much of an office job for me, but actually not something I'd considered. So that gets me thinking on possibilities and that helps.

For instance, it makes me remember that labor relations was also suggested to me at some point. The job where "if you do it right, nobody likes you but everyone is glad you're around". That's kind of intriguing to me.

Mooser
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2016, 11:52 am

AJisHere wrote:
supercrayon wrote:

More of a "people person who doesn't have great people skills". The problem there is pretty clear. :lol:

Yes, stuff along the lines of counseling and social work are more in tune with what I'm looking for. I actually love problem solving, but they have to "the right problems". HR is perhaps too much of an office job for me, but actually not something I'd considered. So that gets me thinking on possibilities and that helps.

For instance, it makes me remember that labor relations was also suggested to me at some point. The job where "if you do it right, nobody likes you but everyone is glad you're around". That's kind of intriguing to me.

why not consider getting a job you don't hate that pays the bills while you figure out your perfect job and how to get it? It may take you a while.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 1:09 pm

Mooser wrote:
why not consider getting a job you don't hate that pays the bills while you figure out your perfect job and how to get it? It may take you a while.

All the jobs available to me are ones I hate. :lol:

Really, even being able to figure out a basic direction would make me feel better. In the meantime, I just do jobs I don't like because yes, bills need to be paid.

Briareos
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2016, 4:07 pm

I may or may not be able to offer you some advice, because honestly I am in the same situation as you; trying to decide what I want to do as a career.

I will say that the suggestions others have listed aren't bad, maybe investigate them a bit further and see if it's work you can get stoked about.

What exactly are you going to college for at the moment, and why'd you stop?

"If you focus on results, you won't change. If you focus on change, you'll get results."