Clubbing with aspergers while female

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 5:41 pm

Is this accurate?

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/ ... -aspergers

It still sounds better than trying to go clubbing while male.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 6:01 pm

I went clubbing once. My girlfriend thought we ought to try it. I think we both regretted it, but the night bus made for interesting people watching.

Quote:

In what way?

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

ehymw
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 7:26 pm

Hopper wrote:
I went clubbing once. My girlfriend thought we ought to try it. I think we both regretted it, but the night bus made for interesting people watching.

Quote:

In what way?

sensory overload, hard to hear, hard to know what people are thinking etc.

I might as well be blind.

You?

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 8:28 pm

Oh God yeah, it was horrible. It's a good 16 years back, but it was just pointless. Music I don't like that was too loud to hear. Lots of people trying to shout over that music. The lighting w asfairly stable, but still disorientating. I don't do intoxication, and couldn't see a way to dance to the music. A general air of simmering violence and desperation. I think we stayed about half an hour, then went for a walk around the city. Tried a bar, which was at least quieter, but it was still tedious.

I meant in what way was it better for females than males?

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 5:43 am

Except for girls having to put up with overdressed drunk chauvinists & the occasional small time gangsters I don't really see that many differences here between the genders. For that matter very few high dollar/postmodern nightclubs really enthuse me (not that I've paid to get in more than once or twice - my musical friends like to make it rain list spots or we all just stand around flyering for upcoming shows); the one place I've been frequenting lately is a composite of two squareish brick derelicts with a balcony/bar club on one side and an extra stage on the other. Not only does it have better acoustics than most multi-million dollar venues I've encountered, they get way more interesting artists lined up as a result. Festivals > raves > clubs IMO.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 8:08 am

It's not impossible for nightclubs to be more small, less crowded and quieter.

Definitely not super-queit, but quiet compared to the ones blasting over-the-max on their speakers.

It's so rare though to find a good nightclub with more of a smaller and comfortable feel to it.

They were far more common back in the past though, at least that's what I think.

This is an issue for me too - as an amatuer electronic producer I am also interested in DJing, and would much prefer smaller, quieter nightclubs to perform at.

Maybe being hired for parties would be better - most teen parties aren't super big block parties filled with thousands but just a few dozen mates, etc.

But yeah, I don't think there's gender differences. It's loud, overstimulating, boring, and filled with the lowest and most rotten people sometimes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 8:18 am

There ARE alternatives to nightclubs, clubs, discos, etc!

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 5:03 pm

Hopper wrote:
Quote:

In what way?

Because a girl in a club by herself is seen as simply foolish (but otherwise OK), while a guy in a club by himself is seen as creepy (and deserving of harassment).

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 5:14 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Hopper wrote:
Quote:

In what way?

Because a girl in a club by herself is seen as simply foolish (but otherwise OK), while a guy in a club by himself is seen as creepy (and deserving of harassment).

Girl in a club on her own. Has Asperger's, so likely noticeably 'odd'. You think she won't be harrassed?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 5:24 pm

Hopper wrote:
Girl in a club on her own. Has Asperger's, so likely noticeably 'odd'. You think she won't be harrassed?

She might, or she might not. The point is, it's OK for a girl to be in a club alone, but not for a guy. Those are the rules NTs "wrote", and we live in their world.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 5:48 pm

Hmm. I disagree. Certainly I think it's more complicated than that. Could just be a US/UK thing, though.

(un)fortunately, there's no nightclubs around here for me to go and test this.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 6:46 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Hopper wrote:

She might, or she might not. The point is, it's OK for a girl to be in a club alone, but not for a guy. Those are the rules NTs "wrote", and we live in their world.

I have never heard of this 'rule', it doesn't seem accurate at any places I've gone to though. I don't particularly like going to concerts or bars alone either way though.

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Dec 2015, 7:41 pm

I just spoke with the author of this article and she will be writing an article for wrong planet. If you guys have any suggestions on topics, I can relay them to her.

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2015, 7:44 pm

Clubs are meat markets and u gets wat use pays for. Im imdifferent to them...I like dancing so I tend to make the best of a nites out but I dont go looking for it.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 7:49 pm

This quote from her article struck me as an apt description of how I feel:

Quote:
Non-autistic people seem like they're part of some vast shared consciousness that ... I just can't see.

Aspie1 wrote:
Hopper wrote:

It is totally not okay for a girl, autistic or not, to go to a nightclub on her own. Talk about putting yourself in a vulnerable position.

I've popped into night clubs once or twice in my life and I detest them. The earlier description of being blinded by the sensory input - sound, light, drunk people, dancing, bar staff. It's just too much.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 10:55 pm

Of course the overstimulation problems make sense in anybody's personal context although girls where I live rarely seem to get stuck worrying that much about nights out; I think we can credit that to really close-knit party people. BTW I'm referring to Denver - I wish I could speak to similar communities elsewhere although I'm sure they're out there.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: