Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 9:20 pm

Usually the only time I can tolerate it is when I'm in a cycle class.
Lately even in class that type of music sometimes is overpowering and gets me thinking about some of the kids in our school who cover their ears and in my mind I can see myself doing the same.
How does the loud driving music affect you?

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 9:49 pm

Who said it has to be loud?

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 10:17 pm

No one said it had to be loud.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 11:42 pm

drlaugh wrote:

Please explain this sentence to me, I'm not sure if I have understood you correctly.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 11:51 pm

Earthling wrote:
drlaugh wrote:

Please explain this sentence to me, I'm not sure if I have understood you correctly.
Volume aside, I like electronic music depending on how it's created. Such bands as 'Tangerine Dream', 'Kraftwerk', 'Pink Floyd', 'Moby', 'Art of Noise', 'Eurythmics', etc, etc, the list goes on. How's that for a spread?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 2:30 am

How does electronic type music affect you - would be more precise.

Another place I used to hear it (electronic music) was buying our grandson things at Abrecombie and Finch. Actually I waited outside while my wife went in the store.
When I play in a band loud music is OK. I play old rock and roll, blues, country and Gospel Harmonica.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 3:06 am

We had a thread like this before, only that OP was maybe half your age and entirely closed-minded. Thanks for being otherwise - it bridges more gaps than you know. I try to keep the volume reasonable since tinnitus has nothing whatsoever to do with one's tastes; I was classically taught piano for almost ten years, gravitating only to jazz & eventually blues (I can't seem to do anything else justice)... My love of electronica emerged from a never ending search for intricacy in composition I couldn't attain as a pianist with social anxiety - I can play through duets passably but that's it - and so my favorite lessons were group theory week. My teacher was a deadly serious evangelist which would have bamboozled me otherwise but is a trait I seriously appreciate in piano teachers; two girls she trained racked up more multiple piano festival awards than I can possibly imagine. I'd say if you don't appreciate a genre you've been looking in the wrong places. This for example was written by one girl on her hacked Nintendo GameBoy, all she did computationally was fades, drums & mastering, if that. I love seeing people's grandparents at raves. You wouldn't believe how common it is.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 3:24 am

Good teachers are difficult to find.
My harmonica teacher could get over 60 notes out of a diatonic/10 hole harmonica.

My mood can influence whether I can tolerate electronic music.

It is good to be somewhat open minded.

Not sure about the quote
If you are too open minded things will fall out.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 3:44 am

Without holding garage sales of the mind I'd have no work. I learned piano with my knuckles sequenced by a conductor's rod, the pure math underneath is no small part of how I began working in technology. I absolutely cannot afford to leave anything old in my head except works of art. Karin Park for example was born in a forest in Sweden and now she's one of my favorite experimental artists the world over. As I prefaced the last time this came up, music is a universal language and anyone who says otherwise is selling you something. You probably don't expect to hear any of your favorites in a mall.

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2015, 3:51 am

The tempo of music I like is far too slow to accommodate most (almost all?) types of electronic music, I also tend to like it soft and not very loud. There is electronic music out there that fits this criteria, but it's very niche.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 4:16 am

I wouldn't say ambient is niche at all. More underplayed if anything. It's probably the most difficult of any electronic genre to collect.

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2015, 6:25 am

cberg wrote:
I wouldn't say ambient is niche at all. More underplayed if anything. It's probably the most difficult of any electronic genre to collect.

That sounds about right.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 8:18 am

drlaugh wrote:
How does electronic type music affect you - would be more precise.
Well, I've heard electronic music that makes me cringe, and electronic music that soothes me. It's all the arrangement, like any other form of music. Some tones make me uncomfortable no matter what the source. I'm not sure how being electronic makes a difference.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 1:20 pm

I love loud driving music.
I hate soft slow music.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2016, 2:40 am

Most EM is a cop-out for slim profits versus talent.

It works but only on a business level but not much else.

My two cents....

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 9:10 am

SavageMessiah wrote:
Most EM is a cop-out for slim profits versus talent.

It works but only on a business level but not much else.

My two cents....
Pfffttt...I shall unclog my no.....

Oh wait, this is not Monty Python. Most electronic music? Ummm, no, there has been electronic music on the periphery long before it became profitable. Artists like Theramin (yes, the instrument is named after him), Walter/Wendy Carlos, Les Paul, Pink Floyd's stuff from as far back as the mid 60's and even the Monkees (The first to predominantly use the Moog on a Pop record) used it in two of their songs: 'Daily Nightly' and 'Star Collector'. So the electronic instrument ain't what's described or electronic music.

Maybe you refer to the modern version of top 40 of any genre? Most of that is formulized to the point of sterility until the next new thing comes along that breaks that mold. Then, they will analyze that until it can be duplicated just different enough to not be sued and then fed to the masses.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13