I hate it when I get compliments anyone else feel the same.

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FizzyOrange
Raven
Raven

31 Dec 2015, 6:37 pm

I'm not fond of positive or negative compliments. I'm always like, "Oh."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 7:29 pm

I don't get what's wrong with complimenting people....honestly I don't.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 7:33 pm

Nothings wrong with it, it should be okay, for some reason it just irks me though. Its got to be low self esteem.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2015, 7:34 pm

That depends, if it's a nice compliment and appropriate I always thank them but if I feel like it's rude I'll also notify them.. One time someone called me cute at work and I immediately jumped and said "hell no that's disrespectful"..

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 2:21 pm

Mostly I like getting compliments. But I don't like it when a teacher looks at my work and says something about how well I'm doing. That makes me feel embarrassed, like too much attention is being drawn to me.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 3:08 pm

I don't accept direct compliments well. Compliments directed at me just make me very uncomfortable and sound insincere or unimportant. People who give them get a superficially sincere "thanks" at best. On very rare occasions I'll actually agree when someone praises an accomplishment of mine, but it happens so little that I've advised people before just not to try it.

Now, if I create something (a writing, a painting) or generate an idea and that gets complimented, I love to hear it.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't get what's wrong with complimenting people....honestly I don't.

As Feyolkien said, it just makes some people uncomfortable. It's not really even an autistic thing; plenty of "NTs" are the same. For me, I have the mentality that if I do something truly worthy of praise then none will be needed. If I don't, any praise sounds insincere and that makes me uncomfortable.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 11:42 pm

I usually become very shy and timid if I am complimented.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 12:37 am

I usually like them, just as long as it doesn't feel like they are complimenting me because they feel sorry for me.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 3:23 am

Because, in my case, I was conditioned into thinking that accepting a complement immediately results in an inflated ego, of which certain people, including my parents, when they were still living, would immediately do everything in their power to force one back into their "shell". Even to this day, I sometimes have issues in receiving a compliment, especially after I do solo vocal work and take everyone by surprise.

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2016, 4:17 am

I hate it when people tell me thank you. Though that's not exactly a compliment. I just don't believe the compliments. It's not like most of the people who give them are even knowledgable enough to even give compliments based on fact. They're generally an emotional thing so I try to ignore them.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 8:32 am

I don't think anyone would like to be showered with compliments.

It ticks me off as well when nothing is genuine.

When I get a genuine compliment I am happy to accept it and can say thank you but do get a little nervous/embarassed.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 8:36 am

Meh...compliments do not bother me. But, if it comes from someone I truly respect, then I do feel gratitude that someone I respect acknowledged my efforts. Most times, I have not noticed the compliment though. Been asked a few times why I 'snubbed' someone when they complimented me. I get the eye rolls and such because 'I'm smart enough to not play those games' when I explain that I did not know it was a compliment.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 9:46 am

I don't exactly hate compliments, but I have trouble knowing how to respond well to them, getting the balance right between sharing their high opinion of me too strongly and throwing it back in their face. And I'm usually suspicious of compliments that seem contrived or false.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 12:38 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I'm usually suspicious of compliments that seem contrived or false.

Yes, exactly! For me almost all of them do, though.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 12:40 pm

AJisHere wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I hate it when things are too sugar coated. I get the suspicion that someone is trying to 'handle' me. I don't react well to that.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 4:31 pm

zkydz wrote:
AJisHere wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

I hate it when things are too sugar coated. I get the suspicion that someone is trying to 'handle' me. I don't react well to that.

I mellowed a little when I realised that not all false compliments are designed to manipulate me. Sometimes they're just intended to boost my self-confidence, and the compliment-giver doesn't always expect to be believed literally. It took me a while to get my brain round that. One example is when they say "you'll do fine" - objectively they're stretching the truth, which might seem a rash thing to do, but I suspect it's really shorthand for "I think if you look on the bright side a little more then you'll get a better result." But I still prefer people to just say what they mean.