Ben Carson's Top Aides Quit Campaign

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 2:00 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
But then, what's the alternative to explaining policy that very possibly will get stalled in congress? I still want to know what politicians will do, rather than just hear them promise how their solution to some problem will be "HUGE," then bad mouthing every other candidate, and demonizing some unpopular minority.

You think they actually do anything but tell you what you want to hear and then try and amass personal power? Trump is the devil to you now, but not that long ago he was saying things you'd like to hear, while Hilary said a lot of things you wouldn't like; it's all just a game.

And that's why I can't trust Trump - because he played bait-and-switch with his personal politics since a Democrat got elected to the White House. Trump wants to pose as the adversarial character to whoever is in power. I, for one, am a Bernie man, as he's never contradicted his core beliefs, as far as I know.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 2:09 am

I wonder how Bernie would deal with the recalcitrant congress we have presently?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 3:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
I wonder how Bernie would deal with the recalcitrant congress we have presently?

I think because he's had years of experience in that branch of government, and has a take-no-prisoners attitude, he'd be able to get things through which the unfortunately novice Barack Obama has been unable to accomplish.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 3:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I think because he's had years of experience in that branch of government, and has a take-no-prisoners attitude, he'd be able to get things through which the unfortunately novice Barack Obama has been unable to accomplish.

What do you think he could do to compel the GOP to cooperate that Obama hasn't tried? What does he have to offer or threaten?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 3:39 am

too bad Bernie lacks LBJ's SOB-ishness. that is a key strength that a president needs, a strong stick along with an enticing carrot.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 11:11 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

What do you think he could do to compel the GOP to cooperate that Obama hasn't tried? What does he have to offer or threaten?

Unlike Obama, Bernie has the experience with that body to know who to harangue, and who to schmooze up to. That, and he lacks Obama's naivete in thinking that he can get people who hate him to suddenly like and work with him, if he caves in on certain matters. Bipartisanship has to have both sides cooperating to work.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 11:19 am

auntblabby wrote:
too bad Bernie lacks LBJ's SOB-ishness. that is a key strength that a president needs, a strong stick along with an enticing carrot.

I wouldn't count him out in that department just yet. Rather than having Obama's ability to build castles in the air with his words, Bernie sounds (and probably looks) like an Old Testament prophet condemning America's leaders for failing the people. No, he isn't LBJ; he's something different, but potentially just as effective.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 1:43 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Unlike Obama, Bernie has the experience with that body to know who to harangue, and who to schmooze up to. That, and he lacks Obama's naivete in thinking that he can get people who hate him to suddenly like and work with him, if he caves in on certain matters. Bipartisanship has to have both sides cooperating to work.

Don't hold your breath. Some of those republicans in the house might want to bend to him (maybe) but they know come election time thier conservative constituents back home that put them in office and can expel the from office might take issue.
It's all about keeping that cushy and prestigious seat in DC.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 3:38 pm

I think it would be best if it were Bernie Sanders vs. Ted Cruz. Those two are the least flipfloppy. Everyone knows what they would do in office so they would just have to decide which one they like better. Nobody truly knows what Donald Trump would do if he were in office. I think once he got nominated he would switch around his positions on everything.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 9:30 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Don't hold your breath. Some of those republicans in the house might want to bend to him (maybe) but they know come election time thier conservative constituents back home that put them in office and can expel the from office might take issue.

Maybe. But then again, any Republican can just as well face Democratic minority obstructionism if said Republican President tries to exclude people from this country just for their religion, or if those citizens of a certain religion have to carry identification papers, or if he wants to forcibly deport millions of illegals (as if our military and police aren't already overworked).

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 10:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Maybe. But then again, any Republican can just as well face Democratic minority obstructionism if said Republican President tries to exclude people from this country just for their religion, or if those citizens of a certain religion have to carry identification papers, or if he wants to forcibly deport millions of illegals (as if our military and police aren't already overworked).

I can see you really are afraid that Trump is going to be the next president.
Do you still believe there are monsters under your bed at night, too?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 10:15 pm

IMHO carson/cruz/Rubio would be even worse.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 11:01 pm

wowiexist wrote:
Nobody truly knows what Donald Trump would do if he were in office.

That's part of what's so funny about the reaction to him, I'll bet he's far from the worst candidate on the GOP side from a liberal's perspective, but he's so damn obnoxious that they're acting like he is.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 11:47 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I can see you really are afraid that Trump is going to be the next president.
Do you still believe there are monsters under your bed at night, too?

You're Godd*mn right I'm afraid of that egomaniacal phony becoming President. Especially when he thinks he can promise to fix domestic problems by promising "something HUGE," without having any policy plans except to scapegoat unpopular minorities, or when he thinks foreign policy can be handled by expecting allies and enemies to be cowed under his bullying like his corporate sycophants. I like to believe the American people are wise enough not to vote for this imbecile, though then again, no one seriously expected him to have gone this long with such a large number of supporters. Maybe our only hope is if Mr. Garrison f*cks him to death.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 11:57 pm

I'm more afraid of his supporters than I am afraid of him.