Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 8:44 pm

Rochester, New York man linked to ISIS planned New Year's Eve attack on bar, feds say

Brussels police detain three over 'New Year terror plot

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 1:22 am

I am glad that the police and security services were able to prevent these terror attacks, the problem is that stopping one attack will not finish the problem off forever. The police and security services need to make sure that they are able to prevent further evil attacks. I wish the police / security services good luck in their antiterror work.

I think it is important for the whole of society to cooperate in the prevention of terrorism, I think that often normal members of the public may find things which are of interest to the security services before something happens. Such as someone trying to buy a car for cash, wanting to rent a house for cash with no questions asked, funny smells (could also be the sign of illegal drug production), explosions in urban areas (possible test of explosives), odd purchases of chemicals, people paying attention to odd things (like people watching workers at the local water works) and odd crimes such as people trying to copy / steal police uniforms or a car.

It is also going to be a problem that some aspies might do some things innocently which look rather odd and like part of a preparation for a terror event. For example while it is not a crime for a person to record the locations of water and sewage works, an aspie who has a special interest in these things might go looking for water works and have a notebook filled with details of such places plus photos of them. I see a problem that some aspies might get caught up in antiterror efforts.

Also as aspies sometimes notice the things which NTs miss, it could help society a lot if aspies make a point of reporting anything odd which they notice if the have special interests which relate to something related to terrorism, for example if an aspie who like looking at electricity systems notices that the men who service them are wearing different coloured overalls and have changed the time that they work, then it might be an innocent change or maybe the new servicemen are terrorists who have entered substations for some nasty purpose.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jan 2016, 4:11 am

Terrorism itself is 99.99999999% perceived, not real. It's the .000000001 that real terrorists go for. And for that minuscule difference they will usually "succeed". As for realistic imminent danger you have a million times greater chance of getting killed by a goddamn police officer than a terrorist. So for "national security" and the like to be at the forefront of "citizens' concerns" is both a media-inspired farce and a bogus political platform.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 8:09 pm

Hmmm. I don't believe citizens should try and spot terrorists. The amount of false alarms would increase rapidly. Surveillance society, stasi, 1984.
News nowadways rarely begin with "act of terrorism averted thanks to concerned citizen", but they do begin with "concerned teacher alarms police over what turned out to be a clock".
We, the people, are not trained to spot terrorists, and if we try, all we do is stop living a normal, peaceful life.

That said, seeing munich main station evacuated and heavily guarded was weird, I was there less than 24hours before, and will be passing through again soon...

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 8:49 pm

I wouldn't worry too much, Terrorist attacks tend to only come when the West want an excuse to attack another Islamic country, we are busy with Syria at the moment, once we have Syria ruined and can steal its oil, Iran will be next on the list. Expect a dirty bomb with a pristine Iranian passport attached for that one.