There should be an anonymous section

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 4:11 am

One of the forums I go to has an anonymous section. I think this forum would benefit from one.

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 7:39 am

How does it work?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 11:39 am

"Anonymous" as in "I want to post crap about other people without anyone knowing it was me" -OR- "I want to post crap about other people without anyone knowing who I'm posting crap about"?

You already have an anonymizing nickname; what more do you want?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 4:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Anonymous" as in "I want to post crap about other people without anyone knowing it was me" -OR- "I want to post crap about other people without anyone knowing who I'm posting crap about"?

It would still be moderated. It would just be nice for more sensitive topics. It would be nice to not have everything I post be associated with my username.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 4:45 pm

Personally, I can't see that kind of thing happening.

if you don't want to be associated with your posts the only way around it would be the route that violates the rules and I wouldn't advise that.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 5:10 pm

babybird wrote:
Personally, I can't see that kind of thing happening.

if you don't want to be associated with your posts the only way around it would be the route that violates the rules and I wouldn't advise that.

I know. It would just be nice for people to be able to talk about sensitive topics that aren't against the rules.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 5:11 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
Fnord wrote:

It would still be moderated. It would just be nice for more sensitive topics. It would be nice to not have everything I post be associated with my username.

Even if you had the best intentions for doing this, would such a capability be abused by other, less well-intentioned people? I think the answer is yes and so it's not likely to be added.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 6:49 pm

Adamantium wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Even if you had the best intentions for doing this, would such a capability be abused by other, less well-intentioned people? I think the answer is yes and so it's not likely to be added.

I guess it won't work on this forum. I'm part of another forum that has an anonymous section. It works well for them.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 9:43 pm

I'd support something like this. I have accounts on a whole slew of different sites using almost this exact username, but sometimes I want to be able to ask about things without tying it to my screenname. Tumblr allows people to ask anonymous questions on other people's blogs, though from what I can tell your questions have to be approved before they get posted. Maybe a similar system could be implemented where posts are pre-moderated before they are posted, and each IP address has a limit on the number of anonymous posts they can make in a day to prevent spamming. Or, instead of an anonymous post cap, posting cooldowns could be used instead.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 1:14 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'd support something like this. I have accounts on a whole slew of different sites using almost this exact username, but sometimes I want to be able to ask about things without tying it to my screenname. Tumblr allows people to ask anonymous questions on other people's blogs, though from what I can tell your questions have to be approved before they get posted. Maybe a similar system could be implemented where posts are pre-moderated before they are posted, and each IP address has a limit on the number of anonymous posts they can make in a day to prevent spamming. Or, instead of an anonymous post cap, posting cooldowns could be used instead.

I support this too and like the ideas mentioned here,

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 9:44 pm

Oh Man!! ! Talk about the potential for REAL Flamewars!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2016, 9:46 pm

I see it as a graffiti wall - a place where people could post nasty comments about someone without fear of retribution. You tag your message, run away, and nobody knows you did it.

And people want this?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 7:21 am

DevilKisses wrote:
One of the forums I go to has an anonymous section. I think this forum would benefit from one.

There already is such a section. It's called "Members Only", where only members of WP can read it, and they have to be logged in.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 7:24 am

Fnord wrote:
I see it as a graffiti wall - a place where people could post nasty comments about someone without fear of retribution. You tag your message, run away, and nobody knows you did it.

And people want this?

:roll:

It depends on what it's used for. Like for example, if you want ask for support with regards to problems you are having with your boss at work and you don't want anybody at work to be able to read your posts and guess that it's you.