Aspie Females: If you're considering dating a NT...

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Lorraine495
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2016, 10:26 am

DONT. That is all.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 11:16 am

Lorraine495 wrote:
DONT. That is all.

I'm not female but I still have to ask. Why not?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 1:07 pm

One person's experience is one person's experience. There are other women on here who have NT partners and things are OK.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 10:44 pm

In my personal experience, it all depends on the individual.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 2:28 am

I've dated plenty of NTs. It has been fine.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:56 pm

blueroses wrote:
In my personal experience, it all depends on the individual.

^
Ditto.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 2:20 pm

Jono wrote:
Lorraine495 wrote:
DONT. That is all.

I'm not female but I still have to ask. Why not?

I'd also like to know. As much as I wish apsie women would only date aspies men to give us better chances, I at least know a few not men who seem ok.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 7:06 pm

Lorraine495 wrote:
DONT. That is all.

Too late, I already am...and it is going quite well actually we're way past the 'dating' stage.

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2016, 7:50 pm

I've been married over 20 years, and I'm pretty sure my husband is NT. :?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 8:46 pm

I once had a crush on a librarian in Northern Maine. She was NT.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 10:41 pm

Tbh ND dudes are just as obnoxious as NT ones. If I'm gonna date someone I'm much more worried about liking them as a person, not whether or not they at also ND.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 1:57 pm

I'm guessing this is a vent.

Neurotypical doesn't really exist in any absolute sense. Yes there are more typical behaviour and traits, but this is more of relative concept especially in respect to the trait of a single spectrum.

Both Neurotypical and Neurodiverse are concepts that are not mutually exclusive.

I stand by this, the clue is in the name Neurodiverse.

stephasaurus666
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2016, 5:08 pm

I've had 2 long term relationships with NT guys and I can tell you that it takes quite an extraordinary NT man (or woman) to navigate a relationship with you.

I think it works with my current partner when I explain to him how my brain works and why I do certain things.

It will be frustrating that he doesn't just know what seems so logical to you or that he doesn't realize that when you say something is important, it really is very important (like preferences for touching, socializing, eating). All I can say is, explain it. I had to be told over and over that I wasn't sharing enough because apparently NTs volunteer information about themselves without being asked on a regular basis. Turns out everything I thought was obvious to him, is not. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "I can't read your mind" or "why didn't you tell me".

Don't date an NT (or anyone) who resents you for anything, who thinks it's your "fault", or that you should change.

The black and white thinking is also tough. It can be very hard to not know exactly how much the other person cares about you, where you are on the dating scale of seriousness, or where it's going.

My partner said if he didn't want to be with me, Aspergers would never be the reason why. If he thought I was just too hard or too much work, then I wouldn't want to date him anyway. So ideally, date someone who sees you, not you plus your Aspie traits.

This may be controversial, but consider not clearly disclosing it. By all means, don't suppress who you are, but just see how they feel about you without the bias that might form after you label your personality. If you don't like touching, say so, if you only like certain foods, say so, if you struggle with black and white thinking, say so. It is no different than them sharing their likes, dislikes, strengths, and weaknesses. Yours are just more uncommon.

Last tip, try not to make assumptions. For example, don't dismiss someone because they think it's weird you don't have friends. They probably won't understand until you explain to them that you just don't have the same need for them as other people do and this doesn't mean you don't like people or don't want friends. You might just find the whole process too taxing so you don't have any...yet.

:wink: :heart: